E-Drum Brothers and Sisters (Berlin calling)

johanisu

Hello,

Living in Berlin is great. It really is an amazing city. Though the downside is finding a rehearsal room. Obviously they're pretty desirable and hard to come by. So my first question is whether or not anyone has any information. I live in Friedrichshain.

I think I'm succumbing to the prospect of an e-kit. I never paid much attention to them in the past and was never really impressed by the feel: far too much rebound. However in my recent research I've been impressed with what I've seen. Companies have really invested in feel and sensitivity and- perhaps I'm imagining it- the sounds have improved massively. I'm looking for a cheap e-drum kit that has great cymbal, bass drum and snare feel and sensitivity. Who has an e-kit, with which they are very happy and they could recommend? I play mainly jazz so these factors are really important to me.

E-kits are quite nice and roland has come out with a new set of modules recently. I have the old TD-9, with all mesh heads, which I must say have a lot of rebound. Even though they are tunable, they still have an inherent amount of rebound. It is about right for the snare but too much for the toms. The kick is a little bit over exaggerated too. It is lovely to play on and jam around with, but I do not like the sounds so much. Better than some of the cheaper kits for sure, but not my kind of thing. I am considering using it for a gig coming up just to test it out. I may also get a drum plugin like superior drummer to get more realistic sounds, which you could always do.

I played on a yamaha the other day though with silicone heads, which feels much nicer. The sounds were not that great either other than the funk kit which sounded pretty fine. Go to your local store and play a few. But be advised if you are looking for something with nice feel and sound, expect to pay at least 2000 bucks.

Hey

You really do get what you pay for in e-drums. Try the TD-30KV and see what the flagship kit can do. Then work your way down the drum models and see where you lie. Second hand is a good place to look too.

I WANT A TD-30KV.

Did I say that out loud?

Oh well.
Peace
Davo

I'm looking for a cheap e-drum kit that has great cymbal, bass drum and snare feel and sensitivity.

Then stop looking - it doesn't exist. Even the best (most expensive) kits come up short in the expressiveness stakes, especially for a jazz drummer.

Back