MOELLER METHOD

Modified Moeller

What exactly is the modified moeller? Any change of the moeller?

Is it more sublte of a motion?

Thanks!

Re: Modified Moeller

JohnMunsey said:
What exactly is the modified moeller? Any change of the moeller?

Is it more sublte of a motion?

Thanks!

This is my understanding - I could be totally wrong:

Proper Moeller technique (as demonstrated by Jim Chapin on his video) is similar to German grip, but with the sticks meeting at something like a ninety-degree angle instead of a 45-degree one. The moeller strokes are played by rotating the wrist outwards, and after a down stroke is played the rebound is allowed - the stick springs back to a position allowing another "full" stroke to the drum. In other words, the accents generated by this system are quite subtle compared to the overall volume of the playing. There might be accenting in, say, a triplet pattern played this way but it's certainly going to be less defined than is required for a lot of music.

There's another approach which pretty much just grafts the wrist movement from moeller onto the German grip, and modifies the down stroke so that the rebound is prevented - the stick stops around 1-2cm above the head allowing subsequent tap (rebound) strokes to be played very quietly. Accents still use the moeller "throwing" motion and whip the stick back. This allows for a bit more contrast between accented strokes and ghosted ones, which can be useful in a groove context.

Or I could just be wrong :)

Re: Moeller Technique

Chapin and Dom are the guys to learn this one from.

Moeller technique = great efficiency strokes

I learnt the basic Moeller srtoke, or a bastardized version of it years ago, and thought I had it down. Now, taking lessons With Dom, I find I knew nothing at all. In my opinion it is not that hard to learn the stroke, but a good teacher is money well spent. I tried both, and, well, just get a teacher who KNOWS!

Also, the application of the moeller stroke to give one accent followed by a series of taps, all just with that one motion, is what Dom calls "pumping motion". To someone trying to learn this I can say that I would NEVER have learned it without a teacher. It took me so long to get it right, and I would never have had the discipine to keep correcting it had it not been for those monthly lessons. I am not trying to discourage people more talented than myself from just getting it in five minutes, but it is kinda hard. It feels great when you do it finally, though, because you really aren't using the fingers much. I never understood Chapin's "just let the stick bounce in your hand" but that is really what happens.

If you cannot get to a teacher who can show you this, I beleive many people would get it from Dom's book It's Your Move. This is a great echnique book, and it explains not only Moeller, but the prerequisite, the Free Stroke. Peace, and no, I don't get royalties, I am just born again :)

Last edited:

It's Your Move is the most indepth hand technique book I've seen with pics, text and all. I looooooove it!

John, couldn't agree more. In my opinion, nobody should be allowed to play Stick Control or Master Studies without having learned these techniques first. The time I wasted is CRIMINAL........

I hear you man. I think many of us went through some of these books without using the correct hand techniques (e.g., Free Stroke, rebound, moeller).

Important thing is -- we corrected them ultimately.

You do Dom's quintuplet flam interventions? They are sick, man.

JohnMunsey said:
I hear you man. I think many of us went through some of these books without using the correct hand techniques (e.g., Free Stroke, rebound, moeller).

Important thing is -- we corrected them ultimately.

You do Dom's quintuplet flam interventions? They are sick, man.
Funny you should ask that question. No, I am only at the 16ths, but I have read ahead. What about the Weaker Side? I get so humiliated every time I do it, especially if I haven't worked on it for a while. It's like my right hand is in atrophy.

I would love to talk about It's your Move more. There are SO many interesting things in there.

Mollear technique video?

i know this subject might have been revised 1000 times on these forums but could we get a video of this being done?

Re: Mollear technique video?

The Jim Chapin video is the best for understanding the Moeller way of playing

Bashkin said:
Hello 2 you all Drummers of the world.
Can any body explain some more about this method of movement please ?
and /or post some working methods and exercise rutines
thanks a lot
R.
Bashkin
Here is a short clip using Moeller to move around the drums.
Hope this helps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C9OGWIAQ
God Bless
Tim
www.timwaterson.com

I found the info. and videos, at the link below, to be very helpful for Moeller.

What I need help with is finger technique. Unfortunately, I'm having to "unlearn" some very bad habits that cause me to tense up. Also, my left hand is WAY less controlled than my right. Any suggestions?

http://www.digbydoodle.com/Moeller/vintage.htm

bean6022000 said:
I found the info. and videos, at the link below, to be very helpful for Moeller.

What I need help with is finger technique. Unfortunately, I'm having to "unlearn" some very bad habits that cause me to tense up. Also, my left hand is WAY less controlled than my right. Any suggestions?

First of all, are you talking about the single Moeller whip, or the continuous "pumping" motion? You must learn the single stroke first. But even before that, I would recmmend you learn the free stroke. It will teach you great control of both hands, and relaxation in the fingers. The finger motion in the Moeller is really heard to explain. I got it after spending around 20 hours at least (no kidding) over a perdiod of several months. It is something you will just "get" after trying a long time. It is also thrilling to discover, so have fun with it!

But try learning the fre stroke first. Look at Dom Famularos videos and get his book. Good luck, DPS

Thank You for the Advice DrPowerstroke. You asked whether I was talking about the single whipping stroke or the the pumpimg stroke. Really, both. I have the Chapin video and while he is introducing "how to get into the Moeller thing," he is doing triplets with one hand using the pumping motion and then when he introduces the other hand he is clearly using fingers. Chapin also clearly uses fingers as he picks up speed; particularly when he is demonstrating the paradiddle exercises later in the video. Anyway, I'll check out Dom's clips further . What will be confusing to me by doing this, however, is that Dom is using a wrist throw down technique that is not like the Moeller stroke. I guess ya gotta learn multiple techniques, I just don't want to have to "unlearn" even more stuff. Thanks again.

No problem, Bean, here to help. Yes, you have to learn two techniques, the free stroke, (the thrown stroke) and the Moeller. Simplistically put, the free stroke holds the stick at the front of the hand for control, while the other, the Moeller, leans back on the stick for speed and power. As you get proficient, however, you will reaqlize that they overlap, but let your hands tell you when. Practice the techniques seperately, they will blend by themselves in your playing. When I saw Dom's clips I got so excited I started taking lessons with him, and this stuff is not really hard to learn, it just takes time, and more so if you have bad habits, which I do :) Good luck. DPS

Moeller technique

Can anyone give me a link or some stickings for the moeller technique?
I know this topic has come up a lot but I still don't no much about it.
Has anyone got any tips on playing jazz? cheerz

Moeller History and Videos Website

I'm trying to more fully learn Moeller. I have the Chapin Video and have looked at a bunch of Internet clips. I stumbled across the Internet site on Moeller attached below. In my opinion this site gives the most comrehensive history and explanation of the Moeller technique....period (yes even better than the Chapin video). The author (TW Hanson) did a great job. I'm curious what you guys think; particularly the right hand finger bounce technique. I've never seen this technique before. So far, my limited experimintation with the technique indicates some promise. I want to use only one technique (i.e. Moeller vice Freehand)and Moeller seems to be the ticket. I want to focus on one technique 'cause I already have enough bad habits to "unlearn." Thanks for your input.

Back