Bass head and hoops don't fit

RudeMatt

Alright so I replaced the factory head on my OCDP 22' bass and quickly realized that my hoops don't fit right on the head, instead of sitting on the metal part the hoop sits on the actual head. At first I thought it was a bad head but then I noticed the same problem on both the factory batter and factory reso. A friend told me to just tighten until the head was basically forced into the hoop but I'm afraid the hoop might crack. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Sounds really weird.

I just have to ask the most natural question: Are you completely sure that the head is the correct size for the bass drum? Maybe you are trying to put a 22" head on a 20" bass drum?

Also, are your drums cheap? If your kit is really really really REALLY cheap, maybe the build quality is bad and the bass drum is not EXACTLY 22". If that turns out to be the case, you might have to buy new drums.

Yes I am positive that the head and the shells are a match there's not a big difference between them. It seems like the hoops are maybe a centimeter too small. The shells aren't the best but they are quality. I have an OCDP Venice kit. The head fits perfectly on the baring edge on the shell but the hoops just don't fit the head like they should. Think this might be a factory error?

Sometimes the head doesn't sit far enough down into the channel when it's being glued in, and that's why you see a "bump" of head sticking up. It is a defect.
You'll need a new head, and I'd suggest pulling them out of the box, & checking them out before you plunk down the cash.

Good luck!

I've seen the same issue with Ludwig, who builds their drums to fit their heads, and build their heads to slightly different dimensions than everyone else.

In your case? I'd guess a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect. Other models or makes of head might fare better, or maybe not.

Remo has told me it shouldn't generally cause a tuning issue, so you can potentially ignore how it looks and not worry. Over tightening seems like a bad thing to do for many reasons. You can also cut or possibly file-sand a small chamfer on the inside edge of the hoop so it fits more flush.

Since the factory batter and reso head fit the same way I'm guessing that it is a design flaw. At the moment shaving down the hoops doesn't seem like a bad idea. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself being that I'm not a carpenter or a luthier. I'm probably going to wind up buying new hoops anyway but it might be cheaper to get my current ones shaved down a bit plus it'll match nicer. From what I can tell it doesnt really affect the sound but it is a pain to tune because if the hoops aren't perfectly square on the head it'll slide over and I'll have one side looser than the other.

The head fits perfectly on the baring edge on the shell but the hoops just don't fit the head like they should. Think this might be a factory error?

Does this mean that the hoop's and the shell's sizes does not match? In that case, it sounds like a design flaw. <facepalm> I suggest that you speak to Remo/Evans and to your drum manufacturer and ask them what they think you should do.

Peace out!

No. The hoop fits on the shell just fine. Its just that my head won't fit into the hoop it's like if my hoop was made for a 21 3/4" head.

I recently replaced my batter head on my dw bass drum from evans to Ludwig and the hoop slides down on one side after a song set it is the Ludwig head and not a dw defect. the metal hoop on the head is manufactured different

We need to see pictures.
If you lay the head inside of the hoop without it being on the drum does it fit?

I've heard of this before. Some people will say that only Remo heads have this issue, and that all Remo heads have this issue. I've never noticed it.

As mentioned, you can chamfer the inner edge of your bass hoop, or ignore it. I guess you could get new after market custom style hoops too if you wanted, and those will probably have a chamfer in them already.

No. The hoop fits on the shell just fine. Its just that my head won't fit into the hoop it's like if my hoop was made for a 21 3/4" head.

Looking for clues in order to help:

Which type of head is it? Remo, Evans, something else? New, old?

Can you take the head, and your hoop to the drumstore and hold it up to some heads to compare, and to see which ones fit? That will give you an idea of whether it's a general problem, or just certain heads. Just a thought...

You cant chamfer the bearing edge of a freaking hoop. That would turn it into a gigantic funnel.

The results will be mind boggling.

1 - put the head on
2 - put the hoop on
3 - put the the claws on finger tight
4 - with a hand on either side push down until the hoop seats on the head
5 - finger tighten and continue tuning

The hoop was on already, just put it back on, or go buy new ones.

Surprising how often I've seen this. I had a Ludwig that did that and probably one or two others. Hoops are too small. You can either take your hoops with you head shopping to find a head that'll fit, or you can have a relief cut put into the hoops if they're wood. Or, get new hoops.

Surprising how often I've seen this. I had a Ludwig that did that and probably one or two others. Hoops are too small. You can either take your hoops with you head shopping to find a head that'll fit, or you can have a relief cut put into the hoops if they're wood. Or, get new hoops.

Yes, I've seen this on several of my kits. Being a do-it-yourselfer and never being able to leave well enough alone, I ended up beveling the inside edge of the hoops. Now any head fits.

You cant chamfer the bearing edge of a freaking hoop. That would turn it into a gigantic funnel.

The results will be mind boggling.
Yeah definitely can and most manufacturers do. Unfortunately, I've seen more and more budget kits that don't feature the cut and just have a squared-off hoop. This can prohibit direct contact between the drum hoop and flesh hoop of the head.

Back