Beefier sound from a piccolo snare?

bigpapabds

Hi, guys. Lots of great info here. I am currently playing a 13" brass piccolo snare. It needs new heads pretty bad. I am looking for something that will give it a beefier sound, but still keep the articulation. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Perhaps a 2-ply head? Being a piccolo, you should still have quite a bit of sensitivity with it. Or maybe try something with a Power Dot.

I was thinking of a powerdot myself. I am new to experimenting with new heads, etc. so I thought I'd get a couple of ideas before choosing.

Thanks.

Keep a coated Ambassador around just in case. Usually beefier for me means tuning down some. A 13" piccolo will beef up when tuned down, but I avoid heads that add stuff to the actual head itself, especially when the head is getting smaller, as in this case.

Remo Emperor or Reverse Dot.

beefier sound transalate to more tone, warm and body . this can achieved by using a two ply coated head like remo emperor or evans G2 and for the snare side a remo emperor or the new black suede snare side( which I think is the best option because is a little thicker than the standard ambassador and thinner than the emperor , so it has more sensitivity than the emperoro , but is a textured head so it gives much more warm and body)

and if you want to have even more beefier sound you can replace the hoops for wood hoops

Back