The biggest gear hoarders in DW

Wow. I feel a lot better about my drum room. I thought I was going off the deep end with:

5 complete kits
7 snares
60 cymbals (give or take)
about half a dozen orphan drums and percussion items
16 DW piccolo toms and...
an uncounted number of chrome things.

Mr Bozzio??????????????????

I had up to 4 snares but it stressed me out
/QUOTE]

This is the exact reason why I am a gear minimalist. As much I love, drool over and dream about all kinds of musical gear, it frustrates me to have to choose from multiple options, so I keep minimal amount of gear and make it work for all situations.

I played bass guitar semi-professionally for many years and never owned more than one bass guitar at a time. Just recently I talked myself into getting a fretless bass, so now I have two basses, but at times, I get flustered trying to decide which one suits a song better!

Here is my list:
1 acoustic drum kit
2 snares besides the one that came with my kit
1 set of hihats
2 crash cymbals that I also ride
Zero ride cymbals
1 Splash cymbal
1 Djembe
1 set of bongos
1 each of various small percussion stuff
*****Non-drum*****
1 fretted bass
1 fretless bass
1 electric guitar
1 acoustic guitar
1 bass combo amp
1 guitar combo amp
A few guitar and bass effects boxes but nothing over the top
1 synthesizer
1 synth sound module

Hey, Bermuda, you added two cymbals in the last week or so.

Just curious (sorry if I missed it). Do you have any UFIPs in your collection? Any boutique or custom made units? Sabian is a great company. They made me some custom units years ago not in the catalog.

Agree hoarding has a negative connotation. But what is the difference between hoarding and collecting? Is there a difference?

After having seen a couple of episodes of that reality show, I would say there is a marked difference. Hoarders tend to fill every available space with junk and sometimes even garbage. Yes, literal garbage.

are you going to delete the sound files as well or would that just be silly?

Definitely keep the files, though they go into an "old" folder so as not to be confused with the same code # when it gets re-assigned.

Bermuda

Agree hoarding has a negative connotation. But what is the difference between hoarding and collecting? Is there a difference?

A hoarder just stashes stuff.

A collector also lists it in a database.

And a professional takes a tax deduction.

:)

Hey, Bermuda, you added two cymbals in the last week or so.

Just curious (sorry if I missed it). Do you have any UFIPs in your collection? Any boutique or custom made units? Sabian is a great company. They made me some custom units years ago not in the catalog.

Just got some UFIP rock type hats, and I have a few others in my arsenal. My very first was an Icebell back in 1981 or so which I still have.

A sample of it was crunched up and used as a great heavy metal anvil sound on one of Al's tracks.

Bermuda

Alright, I'm no Bermuda but I have amassed a sizable collection myself. I've got three sets in my drum room, two in storage and one at my bands rehearsal space. I rotate them frequently depending on what kind of gig I've got coming up or what kind of mood I'm in.

Drum Sets:
Gretsch Round/Stop Sign Badge: 5x8, 6x10, 10x14, 14x20
DW Collectors Short Stack: 5x10, 6x12, 10x16, 16x22
DW Collectors X-Ply: 7x8, 7x10, 8x12, 10x14, 18x20
Ludwig 3-ply: 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18, 14x22
Ludwig 6-ply: 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22
Roland TD-20SX

Snares:
6x12 Gretsch Mark Schulman
4.5x13 DW Black Nickel/Brass
5.5x13 DW Aluminum
5.5x13 Brady Jarrah Block
5.5x13 Craviotto Maple
6.5x13 Dunnett Titanium
4.75x14 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic
5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty
5.5x14 DW Maple
6.5x14 Ludwig LM402

Cymbals:
Paiste 2002: 10”splash, 14”HH, 16”Medium, 18”Crash, 18”Medium, 18”Novo China, 19”Crash, 22”Ride
Sabian: 7”Max Splash, 10”Ozone Splash, 16”XS20 Ozone, 16”AAX Aero, 17”AA Med Thin Crash, 17”HHXtreme Crash, 17”AAXplosion Crash, 17”AA Holy China, 18”AAX Suspended, 18”HHXtreme Crash, 21”AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
Zildjian A Custom: 8”-10”Splash, 12”, 13” HH, 14”,16”,17”, 18”, 19” Crashes, 17”, 18”Projection Crashes, 20” Ride, 20” Projection Ride
Zildjian K Custom: 13” K/Z HH, 17” Hybrid Crash, 17” Med Thin Dark Crash, 17” Hybrid China, 18” Hybrid Crash, 20” Hybrid Ride

Hardware:
Racks: DW Rack, Gibraltar Rack, Too many clamps, arms and accessories to list
Cymbal Stands: DW 9700 x 8, DW 6700 x 4, Gibraltar Turning Point x 4, Tama Road Pro x 5
Snare Stands: DW 9300, DW 9303, DW 5300, DW 5303, Gibraltar Legless x 2, Tama Road Pro
Hi-Hats: DW 9502LB Remote, DW 9500, DW 5500TD, DW 7500, Tama Iron Cobra, Gibraltar Legless
Pedals: DW 5002 Double, DW 9002 Double, Tama Iron Cobra Double, Trick Pro-1V Double, DW 7000 Single

Not too bad for an old Colonel who's been serving in the U.S. Army for the past 29 Years.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 890
  • DSCN0228.JPG
    DSCN0228.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 963
  • td-20.JPG
    td-20.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 973
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 839
  • Drums%20005_2.jpg
    Drums%20005_2.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 2,445
  • IMG_0023_2.JPG
    IMG_0023_2.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • IMG_0835_2.JPG
    IMG_0835_2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:
Clearly,Bermuda is the winner,but there are those who's collections,are even greater.Though I couldn't put a number on it(but come to think of it,I'll just ask him),I think Bun E.Carlos would be an overall winner.

The man has a warehouse full of gear.

I thought I was bad ,but I have trimmed way down,and below is all that remains of a once full attic.

5 sets
14 snare drums
50 cymbals
1 conga drum
1 set of timbales
1 hi hat ching ring
1 cowbell
various drumsticks,brushes,multi rods and practice pads

Steve B

Just your standard Ludwig Red Cortex from the early 80's 6-ply era. My other set of Luddy's is an early 70's -ply in Blue Silk.

Clearly,Bermuda is the winner,but there are those who's collections,are even greater.Though I couldn't put a number on it(but come to think of it,I'll just ask him),I think Bun E.Carlos would be an overall winner.

Bun E. has a rather healthy and notorious collection of kits, although I'm pretty sure Gary Asher has him beat.

I have only heard of one other person who reputedly has more cymbals than I, a collector in NYC (I think) who has 1200 or something like that. Lots of old Ks apparently. I never got their name or much other info though.

Bermuda

I won't assume you mean me, but for the record - today - it's:

30 kits

84 snares

791 cymbals

Bermuda

I'm sitting in the departure lounge at the airport and showed Bermuda's post to my wife ( as in, see, I'm not so bad!) she looks at it and says "is he single?"

Guess I should ask her if that means she's interested in finding a man with a bigger "collection"!!

2 mid-line kits, 3 snares, maybe around 15 total cymbals. I only really like about 4 or 5 of the cymbals I have, though... I keep getting cheapo ZBT's and stuff thrown into deals when I bought other stuff.

Perhaps a result of not having a ton of cash around to buy stuff, I'm just not that much of a gear whore. I'm more apt to try different head combos and tuning than I am to buy another kit when looking for a sound. Snares, I've got my steel workhorse, my birch and a maple. I've been slowly seeking out great sounding hollow logo zil's and I love what I've found so far; it's the sound I've been digging lately.

2 kits
2 pairs of bongos
1 djembe
5 spare cymbals
1 keyboard
1 acoustic guitar
1 wood flute
1 pan flute
1 didgeridoo
2 pairs of agogo
2 cowbells
3 maracas (grrr)
3 tambourines
2 recorders
2 pairs of clap sticks
2 triangles
1 slit drum
1 guiro
2 wood blocks
3 shakers
3 jingle bells (instruments, not bells)
1 rain stick
2 rattly shell thingies (forgot the name)
1 thumb piano
1 pair temple cymbals
1 squeeze horn

All instruments have been used on home recordings at some stage or another.

2 kits...one made by me from assorted drum parts from 8 different sellers
6 snares
5 cymbals
2 sets of hats
1 near empty wallet

Its not really hoarding unless they are haphazardly stacked in corners and stuff.

IMG_5634.jpg

And there is approximately 35 snare drums.

Back