MuseScore or the like...

helmetface

Hey all, so I am giving a try at transcribing some songs for a friend and I to play along to. I feel this will help me in many ways, so I am wanting to do it right.

At the moment I am fiddling around with MuseScore and having some major issues. For one, I cannot figure how to have two simultaneous hits, ie a bass hit and hi hat occurring on the same beat.

I feel like my other issues I can figure out eventually but this one I have tried all the options and cannot seem to figure out what I am missing.

If you have recommendations for "better" (ie more intuitive, drummer focused etc) transcription software, I am definitely all ears as well.

But if someone wouldn't mind chiming in on my dilemma, I would be most appreciative.

Thank You

I have found Musescore cumbersome and feeling like it takes too many steps to enter one simple beat. I may just need to spend more time with it, but it seems like entering drums is really not what it was designed for. Sorry I can't help with your problem.

I have used Finale Notepad and that isn't much better. I also want to try Sibelius but haven't got round to that yet, and I think the trial version is quite limited. I would be interested to find out what software is used for all the drumming books and magazines out there, if anyone knows.

Thanks for the response kettles. I Agree with your comment about MuseScore being cumbersome.

I found it to be quite tedious just entering in the most minor things.

Can anyone suggest programs that they use regularly?

Thank You

You have to pay for most of the good ones (finale pro, sibeleus pro).
If you want to stick with freeware, you might to check out lilypond. Mediocrefunkybeat introduced me to it, and I like it a lot. It's very different from other programs, in that you have to type in (code) on a notepad document (or something of the liking) what you want the music to display. You then save, and copy the file into the lilypond program. It can be a bit tricky at first, learning how to work the code, but is very useful and rewarding in the end. You can fine tune details much greater than in musescore.
Easy free download, can't hurt to check it out!

I Actually just gave Finale Pro a go and I can't for the life of me, (again) figure out how to get make two different voices, notate in the same beat.

As well I cannot seem to load a normal drumset, its all orchestral percussion.

I'll give it a few more attempts but I'm d/l'ing Sibelius 6 as I type..maybe I'll gel with that better.

You'll have to just read the manual to find that.

I got annoyed at not being able to set up the drums I wanted. Instead it gave me the option of ALL general midi drums...so I had about 8 toms, cowbells, woodblocks, bells, a number of snares and so on.... All I wanted is kick, snare, two toms, hi hat, ride, crash. it may be possible in the more advanced versions of Finale though, I haven't tried that yet.

Going to check out lilypond now :)

I tried musescore as well and feel the same as others, as well as musedit.

I like www.noteflight.com but the free membership is limited in terms of voices, no cymbals and even if you upgrade to the premium membership (which i did) you get splash, china, ride. Crashes have to be put on a different staff. The notation is also slightly different from the norm we are used to. also there is no way to do ghost notes.

However, it's easy to navigate and best of all it works in your browser, there's even a cool feature to link notation to youtube vids. It's still a little buggy and not really geared towards drummers, but it's enough to get me going.

I know there has to be better transcription software out there(paid or freeware) that is more geared towards drummers.

CHIME!

Back