EMAD v/s EMAD2 v/s GMAD v/s SUPERKICK I,II

i have heard... emad n emad2 are not much durable... i have no idea abt the SKI n SKII . i am thinking about getting GMAD because it is more thicker.. just red so.

but i am not a professional.. its my first head change..

heyy all you professional experienced drummers! please guide me to my destily.!

1) What type of beater do you use?

2) How do you tune your drum head ? Low and almost wrinkled? or to a pitch with good rebound?

3) What are you using now? Do you like the feel?

If you could answer these questions - we could point you in the right direction.

i use the tama HP30 pedals.. so the same factory beater.. i dont know the material..

my head is enough tight... but not so that it gives annoying multiple rebounds

i like the deepest possible sound... with quiet short duration

i have heard... emad n emad2 are not much durable... i have no idea abt the SKI n SKII . i am thinking about getting GMAD because it is more thicker.. just red so.

Here's the breakdown on the EMAD/EMAD2/GMAD;

EMAD: 10mil. 1-ply head with externally mounted adjustable damping system. A great versatile/crossover head to be used between a variety of genres.

EMAD2: 17mil 2-ply head (one 10mil, one 7mil) with same damping system. A more durable option that works well for louder funk, rock, alternative and metal.

GMAD: This is the G Plus of the EMAD kick heads. 12mil. 1-ply. This is a great middle ground head for those who want the strength and durability found in a 2-ply head but the feel of a single-ply.

Be sure to check out those links for some more details in how each of the heads behaves.

Here's the breakdown on the EMAD/EMAD2/GMAD;
...Be sure to check out those links for some more details in how each of the heads behaves.

The EMAD control ring comes in handy.

In the studio I leave it on.

I played at a gig outside that was very noisy, pulled the ring off and it sounded great.

Having the ability to change its character quickly is fantastic!

I played at a gig outside that was very noisy, pulled the ring off and it sounded great.

Definitely! Having two rings to choose from is nice in the studio as well. There's enough difference between the two that I hold onto the smaller one and will swap it in occasionally when recording.

Definitely! Having two rings to choose from is nice in the studio as well. There's enough difference between the two that I hold onto the smaller one and will swap it in occasionally when recording.

This is obviously the benefit of having an external damping system. I used to swear by the SK heads, but I was stuck with the sound, which could be different from one venue to another. I use the EMAD now, but am really intrigued by the GMAD.

Last edited:

So does the plastic ring attached to the EMAD/GMAD heads act sort of like the ring in a Powerstroke 3 or other similarly muffled head? Because if that's the case I think I might want to put GMADs on my bass drum...

So does the plastic ring attached to the EMAD/GMAD heads act sort of like the ring in a Powerstroke 3 or other similarly muffled head? Because if that's the case I think I might want to put GMADs on my bass drum...

While the plastic ring (the housing for the circular muffling pads) has some damping effect, the primary focus with the EMAD/GMAD is the foam pads. To answer your question, the EMAD design is very different from the Powerstroke 3. The Powerstroke 3 doesn't use any kind of external or adjustable damping methods.

While the plastic ring (the housing for the circular muffling pads) has some damping effect, the primary focus with the EMAD/GMAD is the foam pads. To answer your question, the EMAD design is very different from the Powerstroke 3. The Powerstroke 3 doesn't use any kind of external or adjustable damping methods.

I'm just curious because I like to run my bass drum wide open... if the plastic ring had enough dampening effect to make the bass drum not sound like a huge boingy tom, then I'd more than likely stick with the GMAD and save the rings for a micing/studio/other recording situation if need be. The versatility of it would be great, especially since I like the idea of what is essentially a G Plus for a bass drum. I'd even think about doing it front and back...

I'm just curious because I like to run my bass drum wide open... if the plastic ring had enough dampening effect to make the bass drum not sound like a huge boingy tom, then I'd more than likely stick with the GMAD and save the rings for a micing/studio/other recording situation if need be. The versatility of it would be great, especially since I like the idea of what is essentially a G Plus for a bass drum. I'd even think about doing it front and back...

Given the right tuning and a quality drum, I'm very confident that you could achieve the sound you're looking for with the GMAD. Let us know if you check it out!

Well I havnt tried the EMAD or GMAD but I bought a Superkick 3 Black Edition, and I gotta say its simply amazing! It gives my CB Bass Drum a sound you would be able to achieve on a professional kit, I would highly reccomend it!

I personally use a GMAD/EQ3 Ebony or EQ4/EQ3 Ebony combo on my kick drum and they sound fantasic, plrenty of low end, attack and boominess for my tastes.

i've heard storys of the emad where the plastic ring on the outside breaks, and this is why personally i use the superkick. the superkick is just great!

This issue has been addressed. Unless something rips into the ring, it should have the same lifespan as the rest of the head.

I'm running the EMAD on my 18x16 and I've been very pleased with the sound. Very punchy mixed with a little boom depending on which ring (or without). I too am interested in giving the GMAD a try on my next head change. Liked the SK's as well, but prefer the versatility of the damping system on the EMAD. BTW, I haven't had any issues with excessive wear as of yet. I'm running a Sonor GS pedal w/ Puresound Speedball Beater (Felt).

Back