AXIS A Lazer Longboard Video review

Pedal board at 21 degrees? Don't think so, that changes as soon as you mess with the VDL.

What AXIS means is the beater shaft is angled 21 degrees of the number-one piece (the main piece the beater slides through, the cam-lever), which Waterson says @ 2:58. This number-one piece can then be positioned closer to 180 degrees at rest allowing more leverage on the pull. Its a pretty brilliant way to increase power on that design.

Without the 21 degree angle beater would be too far back (See pic 1 below) when the number-one piece is positioned near 180 degrees.

Wider foot board is more comfortable and a wider base plate adds stability (pic 2)

Last edited:
Seems like the most flexible axis pedal yet, but Tim, your claims of innovation of design seem a little hollow. The added functionality of the pedal and the design elements that make them happen have been around since 2004 with the advent of the Trick detonator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5j1K2EYP1I

Every claim you make about each new design element incorporated with the A21 being unique is misleading. If you look at a detonator or dominator, they each have design elements that perform the same function, except the massive footboard, but then again i play the Trick bigfoot and the footplate on that is more than big enough for my 12w feet. Even Pearl has beaten axis to market with competing design (demon drive), so for someone to say that all other manufacturers are now copying Axis is incorrect. If anything, Axis is playing catch up. I understand that you're an axis endorsee and you're just doing your job but I don't think you should be making those kinds of claims when they're baseless. The other thing is price. I see it for sale only on ebay for the moment for $900. What's the MAP price going to be on this thing? Pearl could have owned the market for top end pedals if they priced their demon accordingly.

Yeah, I was kinda let down by the new Axis pedal. I really liked the A's but there were a few things that could be improved upon, which I thought would be seen on the new 21 pedals. Such as: Independent beater/pedal board angle, and a better hoop clamp.

The wide foot board is pretty cool though, and so is the concept behind the 21 degree angle.

.... the design elements that make them happen have been around since 2004 with the advent of the Trick detonator.

The basic AXIS pedal design hasn't changed since 1990.

Go back to 90' and look at the pedal market- no TRICK, PEARL feeble, TAMA weak, DW garbage etc. etc.

Yeah, I was kinda let down by the new Axis pedal. I really liked the A's but there were a few things that could be improved upon, which I thought would be seen on the new 21 pedals. Such as: Independent beater/pedal board angle, and a better hoop clamp.

The wide foot board is pretty cool though, and so is the concept behind the 21 degree angle.
The hoop clamp on Axis clamps GREAt what would you want to improve?
The heavy duty hoop stoppers are also shown in the video
Tim

The hoop clamp on Axis clamps GREAt what would you want to improve?
The heavy duty hoop stoppers are also shown in the video
Tim

I agree.

Hoop clamp is ingeniously simple and effective and I've never had it mar a bass drum hoop in any way either. Never had issues with it, always a breeze to put on, excellent hold... amazing!

I have no issue with its function, per se, but I wish it would allow the baseplate of the double pedal to move a little bit so both beaters would be slightly off center. The clamp on the Pearl Elemintators can do this. If I try to move the Axis pedal over it won't sit flat on the ground. I guess they tried to make up for it by allowing the 2nd beater to move side to side. The hoop clamp works fine for me on single pedals though. If there is a way to achieve both beaters equally off-center on the double version, please let me know.

I have no issue with its function, per se, but I wish it would allow the baseplate of the double pedal to move a little bit so both beaters would be slightly off center. If there is a way to achieve both beaters equally off-center on the double version, please let me know.

You can do it with SONIC HAMMER beaters, they're able to be angled, thus hitting off center, or side by side, or get another bass drum.

You can do it with SONIC HAMMER beaters, they're able to be angled, thus hitting off center, or side by side, or get another bass drum.

I do have 2 kick drums, but its not really possible for me to gig with them, (transportation, stage size,etc.) so I use the double pedal most of the time. I am not a big fan of the sonic hammers either. They seem to be Axis' answer to any criticism of their pedals.

I really do like most of Axis products though, I have a double longboard, 2 X singles, an A single, a LB Hi-Hat stand, and maybe soon the 21's. I just wish as the years go by, they would improve upon some of their designs more often. Its nothing major, not enough to make me not want to use them though.

Go back to 90' and look at the pedal market- no TRICK, PEARL feeble, TAMA weak, DW garbage etc. etc.
Go back to '70ies... Whoa!

18-07-07_1406.jpg

What really changed is the overall quality of work and materials.

Back