Rogers Drums

Boneybeaverbrother

Here's something you don't see everyday, this is a Brook Mays era Rogers kit, they have the beaver tail lugs and script logo. The shells are maple in a cherry finish. Someone added Yamaha YESS mounts on the toms, a Yamaha mount on the kick and tom arm. There are no extra holes, so the toms were probably equipped with rims. They sound fantastic.
8x10,9x12 (not shown),14x14,16x20

Attachments

• 10263308.jpg
    10263308.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2,623
  • 10263318.jpg
    10263318.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,077
  • 10263207.jpg
    10263207.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,453
  • 10263229.jpg
    10263229.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,413
  • 10255641.jpg
    10255641.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,666
  • 10264941.jpg
    10264941.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,209
Last edited:
What is the Brook Mays era? Pre-70s? Or early 80s? Having a 9x12 tom and a 16x20 bass seems a little wrong if these are from the 70s. Nice drums though.

These were made around 2002, Brook Mays was a music store out of Dallas, they bought the Rogers name and had the drums made overseas. They were high quality drums at a low price, all maple shells and they used the exact same beaver tail lugs that were on the vintage Rogers, along with the script badge. Yamaha bought the rights to the Rogers name a few years later. The new Rogers line that Yamaha is making is not of good quality, they are not even using the same lugs.
From what I understand there were not too many of these drums made, Brook Mays filed for bankruptcy shortly after producing this line.

These were made around 2002, Brook Mays was a music store out of Dallas, they bought the Rogers name and had the drums made overseas. They were high quality drums at a low price, all maple shells and they used the exact same beaver tail lugs that were on the vintage Rogers, along with the script badge. Yamaha bought the rights to the Rogers name a few years later. The new Rogers line that Yamaha is making is not of good quality, they are not even using the same lugs.
From what I understand there were not too many of these drums made, Brook Mays filed for bankruptcy shortly after producing this line.

Actually, Brook Mays had a sign in the store that they would not repair First Act's "toys", so First Act sued them for slander, won the suit and Yamaha got the Rogers name and patents in the settlement. (First Act/Yamaha=same thing)
-----
First Act Inc. said Wednesday that it has accepted a $16.7 million settlement payment from Brook Mays Music's insurance company to settle a 2003 civil lawsuit against Brook Mays.

In its original lawsuit, Boston-based First Act accused Dallas-based Brook Mays of making false statements about First Act that materially deceived consumers and band directors. First Act alleged Brook Mays launched a "smear campaign" to discourage people from buying, servicing or keeping First Act instruments.

In December, a U.S. district court in Massachusetts ruled in favor of First Act and awarded $20.7 million to the company.

However, after the judge reviewed the verdict he tossed a portion of the award pertaining to reputational harm, lowering the award to $16.7 million.

Brooks Mays sells musical instruments, music equipment, DJ and lighting equipment and related software. The private company operates about 60 stores in eight states.

Very nice set and I bet they do sound good, for me the 10/12/14 with a 20 can't be beat!!!
Doc

Thanks, I used the kit at two gigs over the weekend and they performed like champs. The toms sang like a nightingale and kick was tight and punchy, the best $300 I ever spent.

Would you consider 310.00 for em????? Ten dollar profit is nothing to scoof at these days!!! Doc

Would you consider 310.00 for em????? Ten dollar profit is nothing to scoof at these days!!! Doc

Well, that's "dirt" cheap doc, I'll tell you what, I'll do $310 plus $300 for shipping he, he. I actually wouldn't sell them for $1,000, they sound that good and they are very rare, maybe worth a lot of green someday.

Crazy interesting story. Wonder how many of those kits were made.

Well, this is the first one I've seen besides the ones I saw at the H&H Music store when they first came out several years ago. I think they were only made for a few years and who knows how many they actually sold. I'm guessing there are not too many out there.

Well, this is the first one I've seen besides the ones I saw at the H&H Music store when they first came out several years ago. I think they were only made for a few years and who knows how many they actually sold. I'm guessing there are not too many out there.

i got one of the first yamaha rogers when they first come back out, its a factory second and i got it used for 250,i played it last night at a gig and it played and sounded pretty good, my kick drum is 14 by 22 and it sound really good,the shells are thin,12,13,rack toms 16 floor,14 metal snare.i just wish it had a 14 floor tom.

Last edited:
Actually, Brook Mays had a sign in the store that they would not repair First Act's "toys", so First Act sued them for slander, won the suit and Yamaha got the Rogers name and patents in the settlement. (First Act/Yamaha=same thing)
-----
First Act Inc. said Wednesday that it has accepted a $16.7 million settlement payment from Brook Mays Music's insurance company to settle a 2003 civil lawsuit against Brook Mays.

In its original lawsuit, Boston-based First Act accused Dallas-based Brook Mays of making false statements about First Act that materially deceived consumers and band directors. First Act alleged Brook Mays launched a "smear campaign" to discourage people from buying, servicing or keeping First Act instruments.

In December, a U.S. district court in Massachusetts ruled in favor of First Act and awarded $20.7 million to the company.

However, after the judge reviewed the verdict he tossed a portion of the award pertaining to reputational harm, lowering the award to $16.7 million.

Brooks Mays sells musical instruments, music equipment, DJ and lighting equipment and related software. The private company operates about 60 stores in eight states.

yah i think my rogers are yamahas, they have the cheap bass drum spurs,the lugs are allmost shaped like the old ones.

Yes, the new ones are the Yamahas, not the same. Here's a pic with my new kick logo head, I'm trying to give it that vintage look.

Attachments

• 11014635.jpg
    11014635.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,289
I thought that First Act did make toys?
Brook Mays told the truth.
There is no justice!

can some one help me out, i have a acrylic shell with old 60s rogers hardware,its a 10 concert tom and nothing else has been mounted on it before. rogers never made acrylic shells as far as i know..

Rodgers in the 50 and 60s were oustanding drums, they were constructed very well and there was no skimping on materials. I had a few Dynasonics in my time and I wish I had the lone wooden one right now!!! I sold a chrome over brass a few years ago for 700.00 (Germany) but I see they've come down since. The wooden models are in the 2 and 3 grand ranges and they are out standing snares. Never owned a Rodgers kit but played on them and they took no back seat to any of the companies then.
bbb has a beautiful example of their quality and that is a keeper for sure. Doc

Back