bottom head

REDMI

On my new kit Gretsch the tom bottom heads are without any firm logo (Remo,Evanse....)
Does replacement them to some pro heads will improve the sound ?

Thank you

I replaced these recently with clear ambassadors. The stock reso heads are thinner than the G1 or ambassador. I think they are genera reso or diplomat weight heads. I prefer the sound of the ambassador.

Thank you Doug

But did you get a better sound with the new heads ?

Here is a rule of industry: drums that are made in Asia are outfitted with generic or low quality drumheads. They look like standard heads, but the film is thinner, and usually poor quality.

As Bob Gatzen is so fond of stating: too many people ignore the contribution of the resonant drumhead.

Going from those stock resonant heads to genera (10 mil) will result in a warmer sound indeed. It makes a big difference. The Genera resonant glass will be a bit more open sounding.

Gretsch is a dish best served warm.

it can improve your sound depending on what you are looking for. Reso heads do make a difference.

my remo uk reso heads...should i keep or change them? i was thinking on changing my reso heads to evans g1 or are remo uk decent resos?

If your not gigging I would recommend using the factory heads till they go. tuning the drum properly can do wonders. Spend the money on something
you really need.

I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple set and use Evans EC2 heads with Evans EC res's. The res heads are absolutely important. I would say that the sooner you replace them the better your drums will sound. The stock heads are generic crap single ply. Once I put new resos on my set it became much more musical. But remember that picking a bottom head is just as important as the batter. Do you want to control overtones or do you want a louder more projected sound. All of that stuff matters. I tried the Evans G1's at first but I got a bunch of free EC's and decided to try them. Much different sounding. More focused but they still ring out. Just make sure that you get what you like. But yeah, the new heads will make your kit sound waaaaay better.

would it wok....or would it be too bright to use a coated j1 on a clear ambassador

Back