Girl drummers

There are three types of female drummers I like

Ones that play well.

Ones that are attractive.

and Ones that are attractive and play well.

Was just wondering what you guys thought of all these girl drummers getting loads of views on youtube?

I watch a lot, I mean A LOT, of drummers on YT, so I see more male than female drummers overall, which is "normal" I guess, there's more guys than girls playing the drums...

...what I think of them? If they can play, I watch them, if not, I'll pass (like I would for male drummers) :)

...but I have some favorite female drummers: Cindy Blackman,Terri Lyne Carrington, Emmanuelle Caplette ... and of course Grea & Mary :)

Cindy Blackman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpzNepg1fw&list=FLudjOtgXfU6dQxX9RusNAtQ&index=35&feature=plpp_video

Terri Lyne Carrington http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoI_WSUbDoA&feature=relmfu

Emmanuelle Caplette http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveMCs_mTCw

Were there drums in that vid? :)

:)

Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)

There you go Mary :) absolutely correct!!!

I never understood that "feminine" or "masculine" role of drumming. Playing has more to do with coordination than strength. Humans are silly.

Agreed, but drumming and drums is more a "guys" thing, generally speaking - how many female lorry driver, plumber, carpenter... do you see out there? There's some for sure, but it's always "noticeable" when you see them, and I'm sure they're as good as the male counterpart in the same job

I wonder why drummers like Meytal for example don't play in a great band or start one, record their own solos and compose their own musical stuff, when they are obviously talented enough. Why does it has to be covers? All they are doing is copying performances. They are showing great skill, yeah, but not using their own creativity. Where's the art and personality? And when they do lessons it seems like such rudimentary stuff you can get elsewhere. Why not show us something new? or unique? I'd be less inclined to say Meytal is playing the gender card if it didn't feel like she was getting away with average stuff, when she could be doing more.

Meytal's certainly playing the gender card, the sexy outfit, the teasing eyes, the smiles at the viewers, the wind in her hair... it feels all very calculated to seduce a male audience (and it works), but once you seen one vid, it's a bit repetive, she can play, no doubt about it, but it's quickly tiresome, I would like to see her in a band, playing original songs.

Emmanuelle Caplette is also doing covers, but they feel more focus on the drumming side, and it's her band who play these covers, not just playing over the original drummers.

Links please caz :)

You've seen them :) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74701

They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.

That's probably resume this topic really well, I totally agree with you man :)

Anyone, regardless of sex, who is encouraged to learn drums (especially from an early age) will end up with good rhythmic skills. In a lot of Islamic countries, many women were amateur drummers. That's not so much the case now, because modernisation has meant a lot of traditions are dying out, but many 'ordinary' women could be quite accomplished frame-drummers, tabla players etc.

My point? When there's a culture that encourages musicianship among women, then you end up with outstanding women musicians. And for that reason I'm in favour of any vids that promote women drummers. They can be role models, getting away from the typical, male drummer stereotype (I'm sure not all young women want to learn from pot-bellied bald guys with a wardrobe that hasn't rung the changes since 1988).

They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.

Something that''s rarer will always get more attention, just because it's not the norm.

Foreign musicians get a bit more attention in my country than the average Norwegian musician. When the double bass craze caught on about 10 years ago, the people who jumped on it got more attention. It's just how things work especially in the entertainment business.

Now if a girl is obviously trying to play that card that's her choice. But, it would be hypocritical to not admit that men do the exact same thing.

When I went to the conservatory there was only two players that had a deep enough groove and song sensibility that I truly enjoyed playing with them. One was male and the other a female. She was the only girl drummer in that school and to my knowledge the only one ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 1 female drummer pr.1000 male drummers. That in itself makes it unique.

I'm to old to get excited by half naked children, so as with all musicians I have only one concern. Can they play? All that other stuff is for the tabloids to ponder.

Outstanding posts, both.

Links please caz :)

BTW, are you coming to the London drum show next weekend? Call by if you are.

Hey there... hehe.. a girl drummer putting links on a thread about girl drummers trying to get views...!! It was kind of tongue in cheek what I said, if the videos I've got up were any good I'm sure they'd have more hits, the same goes for anyone. Ooh I may go the the drum show, where would I find you to say hello?

Yes, but you play jazz, Caz (with pizzazz :)

hehe thanks, pizzazz sounds a bit like pizzas so that must be a good thing!

Just curious but did you actually say anything along the lines of "girl drummer" in the video title?

No.. I wouldn't have thought it relevant. But to be fair there are times when it can be relevant for ads and things - some parents can prefer their daughters to get taught by female drummers. Also I remember Gregg Bissonette saying how important it is for drummers to be able to do backing vocals, and there have been a few times where people have got in touch wanting a female drummer because of a preference for female backing vocals. That's about it really...

Interesting reading.

Anybody post in this thread simply because of the title?

We should just gauge the validity of the topic by how many views it received when compared to others of a similar date.

I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.

I think lady drummers have the potential to be much better than men if applied. You can't argue that women are typically more coordinated, more flexible, and most are shown to have better memory. All these advances in the brain would almost certainly mean a better sense of rhythm I'd think. It's just a matter of few of them taking such an interest, and those who do, aren't opperating at their maximum potential. I'll admit that I haven't seen many female drummers I'm impressed with - I'm not saying I haven't seen good ones, but very few have the wow factor that makes me wanna watch more of their stuff.

My daughter just turned two years old, and given the tradition of music in my family, I'm praying she takes an interest in music, drums especially. I'd love to get her started with lessons when she's five, and see if she could progress into a super talented musician. She already plays with drums, loves the practice pad, she's very familiar with them. So I'm hoping that by growing up in the environment, she'll be naturally drawn.

I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.

Seriously? And just what are your personal expectations of us "girl drummers?" And why should we have to live up to them? Do the guys? Ugh!

I, admittedly, wouldn't mind to be as good as some "girl" drummers, irrespectively of whoever's expectations

Attachments

• Girl drummers.jpg
    Girl drummers.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Both of my daughters expressed an interest in drums when they were younger. Perhaps it was just to patronize their father. Unfortunately their interest was fleeting, as it was for singing and other instruments. If only I could have all that lesson money back now....

It's not right of me to judge, but I'd respect gals like Meytal more if they didn't always wear spandex shirts and even weirder stuff, like drum in heels. Point is, the drumming isn't the main focus for a lot of the viewers.

Some dude needs to get real buffed, oil up and then go on youtube under the name "Man-tal" to play drum covers of famous songs while smiling at the camera with his fabio mane blowing in the fan-wind. Whomever wants to take this on needs to make sure to do a video response to anything meytal posts. First cover has to be the Perfect Circle song "The Package".

Evelyn Glennie

7be48596d66a726f2a1f09d6fa06d0a013ce7663.jpg

That should just about cover the topic.

I guess if you start from a backwards-ass place of assuming assuming female inferiority, you're going to come to that conclusion. If you start from a place of thinking women are human beings, then you wonder what it was that caused this historic difference of outcomes in this one area.

Why don't you post some of your playing, so we can see how an accomplished man artist plays the drums?

It's not right of me to judge, but I'd respect gals like Meytal more if they didn't always wear spandex shirts and even weirder stuff, like drum in heels. Point is, the drumming isn't the main focus for a lot of the viewers.

I think it's cool that they flaunt that they can do it HEELS. Especially Lux.

You did get your point across. Like I said, I have no doubt that they exist, just my personal experiences have not allowed these individuals (or examples of this level of talent) to cross my path. Perhaps that is an indicator of how inferior my abilities are, when compared to others.

There was one female who did a sound check for another band, and I was anxious to see her play after watching her hit a few cymbals. You know you can tell how good/bad somebody is when you see them swing a stick. There is a clinical way, and an emotional way to play drums (depending on whether it is an innate ability, or taught). She did it 'right', but was too nervous to continue. Admittedly, she was on the spot. But other than the internet, this as far as I've come. I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."

Look - guys, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I do have a severely (admitted) sexist approach, but it is founded on observations, not prejudice. In my own home, I encourage my daughters in everything in life as much as my sons. I believe that anybody can do anything. I do not allow my daughters to say "I can't do that, because I'm a girl" or "I'm too small" or anything like that. It disgusts me, and drives me to motivate them even more to succeed. But I cannot force anyone to drum. My youngest daughter is the only girl remotely involved in music, by comparison - both of my sons enjoy it.

Perhaps drumming is a prepositioned masculine trait. Obviously there are women with masculine traits, just as there men who have feminine traits (I have an odd ability to pick out shoes and clothes for my wife).

Without getting in nature vs nuture, I'm just quantifying my perspective with my own observations - admitting (yet again) that I cannot observe what all of you have seen. Perhaps, as I live longer, my observations will enlighten me to what most of you already know.

I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."

And that's not the case with the majority of all drummers, regardless of gender? How about you?

Look - guys, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I do have a severely (admitted) sexist approach, but it is founded on observations, not prejudice.

Right, you're just an impartial observer. “Regrettably, those seem to be the facts...”

What motivated you to resurrect this dead thread? The spirit of scientific inquiry?

I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."

Perhaps drumming is a prepositioned masculine trait. QUOTE]

Well crap! Not only am I destined to be a failure with my limited abilities, but I'm masculine as well! Guess I better turn in my sticks now! :p

(P.S. - I hope this isn't the same logic you use to encourage your daughter!)

I have no doubt that they exist...

If you have no doubt there's some outstanding, talented female drummers out there,why did you post such sexist comments? It doesn't make sense...

This forum include several female drummers, some of which are extremely talented, do you really have to see them before your eyes to acknowledge their talent?

Female drummers are a minority in the drumming world, for sure, but they are as good and bad as any male drummers, to assume that a gender defines "good" or "bad" is utterly ridiculous, in drumming or any other instruments

Back