Jojo Mayer

It's been removed. Which vid was it?

if i remember correctly, it was a video of jojo playing at a swiss jazz festival recently;
but more importantly, he was playing a DW kit
D:

I'll be seing Mayer at the Music show in London! Can't wait, he's an excellent player. One I look upto, his hand technique is quite something...

That Dvd is amazing!

Re: Jojo Mayer: Drum n' Bass Wizard.

Hi Guys I'm new in here and as I live in Switzerland and play drums I felt that this discussion about JoJo and DnB was a good way to start.

First of all, no doubt that this guy is amazing especially on speed and technique......nevertheless, I have a problem when I read (not on these postings but through other websites) that JoJo is THE man in DnB. He surely kicks ass, but anyone ever heard of Drum FM (Marque Gilmore)...the guy was into live DnB since the mid 90's but unfortunately not sufficiently talked about....if anyone has any videos of his live performances I would appreciate it

Marque 'Innamost' Gilmore.My friend. Burning it with State of Bengal.

How strange you'd be talking of a superb but highly under-appreciated drummer.

Does anyone have any idea when his next performance is?
i can't find anything from drummerlive 08 apart from the one video on the vic firth website, and imho, that was not his most interesting performance :(

seriously, they should put a mr.mayer timetable up here lol, i'm getting cranky :|
anyone?

One of my biggest influences. The Secret Weapons Dvd is a toolbox, this guy really helped my playing a lot.

Does anyone know what kind of mic he uses for the kick? I've done some searching around online for pictures and videos, and sometimes he's using a different mic. I want to say he consistently uses some sort of Shure microphone, but I can't be too positive. Any input?

Not going to read everything that has been said on this thread, but I just wanted to point out a few things that I never got around to doing before.

Jojo has got to be in the top 5 for greatest drummers. Hes technique is amazing, after watching a few clips from his new DVD, I'm going to invest in it soon. He has this groove that's going on inside of him that allows him to always keep perfect time, sure, were all supposed to have it but his is different.

oh sheez this guy is an epic player. Easily belongs in the pantheons of the greats. I'd call him an influence but his ability is so above mine I'd probably just say that he's inspired me. Two main things that watching him and seeing his dvd are doing for my playing is making me focus on consistency and precision. He's inspired me to play hip-hop and electronica beats where as before I was starting to learn to play more metal styled stuff. I like the groove and this guy lays it down and keeps it there.

Hearing you say that excites me even more I should be getting that in the mail today!!! YESSSSSSSS Thanks for that...JOJO is awesome!!!!!!

I think Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer should be made an essential part of any Drum curriculum in an educational context.

I just started back on my degree in music and im going to insist the lecturer watches it, if he has not done so already.

JoJo is totally amazing...I just started drumming and therefore have voraciously been doing all the learning and investigating of drummers that I possibly can through this site and other venues...I recently shared some of JoJo's clips with a friend of mine that I work with who has been a drummer for years and he was astounded by JoJo! The guy is simply phenomenal to say the least...I receieved his DVD yesterday and am getting ready to start digesting it today ;-)

jojo mayer is my top influences :D gained so much knowledge from his dvd.

I bought his DVD yesterday. The best I've found so far for explaining technique in great detail. Awesome drummer!

Back