Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

Just so everyone knows... Steevo is on the road with the Crue right now. I know he has limited access to email and the web. I'm sure he will respond to everyones questions we he gets some free time...

I just dont want anybody to think he is gone from the board!

Vibra-Slap'd said:
Just so everyone knows... Steevo is on the road with the Crue right now. I know he has limited access to email and the web. I'm sure he will respond to everyones questions we he gets some free time...

I just dont want anybody to think he is gone from the board!
It's true... I'm not gone from the board by any means... It was really busy getting this new leg going, but we're off and running. Thanks to all of you who've seen the show and posted comments, I'll pass them along to Tommy as well.
NPX said:
I've got a question for you about ye olde ddrum3 brain in the pics you posted. What software are you using to send samples to it from the Macs? I ask this because I too have a ddrum3 brain that I have been using for years (it's amazing that after 10 or 12 years there is still nothing on the market that equals it) and was using the old SCSI Dump software to load samples. I haven't had to load any samples into it for a couple of years, but I noticed when I did (after upgrading my old mac to one without a SCSI port) I could only use the software while actually booted from OS 9, it wouldn't work with the SCSI to USB adapter running classic in OSX. The trouble is that Macs made from 2004 (including the one I have now) no longer boot into OS9 (they only run classic), so I am unable to transfer anything from my computer at the moment. (Luckily a friend of mine has an old mac that I was able to use to transfer some stuff this week.)

In the pic I can see you're running OSX on the G5 tower. What program are you using to put samples in the brain?
To answer the ddrum question: I actually use Quicktime Pro to send whatever sample I've built to the MOTU interface(S/PDIF out) then realtime sampling into the ddrum3 via the S/PDIF input. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but it works.... I'll try to answer all ofthe other questions very soon... I'm in the middle of setting up my world right now. See you all soon!!!!!!!!!!

This is gonna sound a little wierd. But What does Tommy do with his old kits when he's done with them? Im in love with his chrome Pearls from the Girls tour and I cant even find pics of them. Second, how did you like playing London Ontario? Crue was the first show Ive seen at the john Labbat Center and they rocked. They sounded just as good as on the Theater Of Pain tour (my first concert ever) and everyone in between. I havent missed a Crue tour since Theater...

lilblakdak said:
Im in love with his chrome Pearls from the Girls tour and I cant even find pics of them. ..

How are these pics for ya!!!

tommy6spin2.jpg

tommy7motley_023.jpg

tommy8_girls_01.jpg

tommy9_girls_02.jpg

That's one of my FAVE kits as well...... but I still love the first kit on this tour... the "Red White and Chrome" Kit

tommylee_wall_640.jpg

[/LIST]
King Crimson said:
Hey Steve, the show here in Columbia SC at the Colonial Center was awesome.

A friend of mine, who is the Fire Marshall said thanks for the gifts!

Greg
I'm glad he liked them! We like fire marshals that let my pyro guys blow stuff up!

Last edited by a moderator:

I wanted to share with all of you my awesome experince with Steve on this past Saturday. Steve and I have been talking for a couple months now about drums. I can not seem to find an electrontic pad that holds up to my abuse! So I emailed Steve for advise. Over that time we have had tons of "chats" about gear. Steve has given me a lot of great advise from everything from pedals to triggers. Steve knows his stuff...

So, this Sat I got the change to be a part of the Motley Crue Road Crew. Thanks to an invite from Steve. Needless to say, it was so awesome to see the production come together, and getting a chance to put the drum kit to together was, without a doubt, the best part. I figured you guys might dig the breakdown of my day....

12:00 PM--- Meet with Steve and get my Working Pass
I called Steve on his cell and I met him at the bus parking area. We had some breakfest sandwiches and talked about our upcoming day. I also got to meet some of the other techs. The bus was rad!!! Big TV, cool sound system, the works!

12:30 PM--- Set up the Jam Room
This is a special mobile studio that the band uses to work out new songs. My job was to put up Tommy's Kit. The kit was made up of Hart pads and cymbals, PDP rack and hardware, a DW 5000 Pedal, and a Roland TD20 brain. I think this was my "test". If I could hook this thing up with no issues, then Steve would trust me with the BIG KIT. We got it all set up in about 20 mins... then we set up the Pro-Tools, amps, and mics for the other band members....
Jam Kit.jpg

1:30 PM--- Set up the Stage Kit
We then moved to the stage. All of the stage was put together including the light rigs and drum riser. So we pushed the 6 cases that hold the drums up the ramp, and got to work. The one thing that I was super impressed with was the PDP rack. That is top quality stuff. I mean super easy to work with and very strong. I think it only took us maybe 5 mins to get the rack up and locked down. Steve has everything marked as to where it goes on the rack so it was quick movin'. The drum riser has mounts attached to the floor, so the rack never moves and is in the same place night after night. After the rack goes up then come the drums. WOW.... I need to get a set of DW drums... they were sweet!!! The fuzzy coating on the drums is just that. Like a jacket, it is wrapped around the drums and stiched together. Its not glued or stuck to the shells at all (BTW- the shells are white!). It just wraps around them and is cut out for the lugs. Pretty cool recovering idea and did not effect the sound of the drums at all. Last we added the cymbals. As a Zildjian players I was jazzed to see the new Plats up close. They look and sound great but man that pryo dust gets all over em.... so here are the pics of the kit....
DIB 1.jpg

DIB 2.jpg

DIB 3.jpg

DIB 4.jpg

Then the sound guys came in and put on the mics.

Mics.jpg

Mics 2.jpg

Since Tommy uses both mics and Triggers, we had to wire up the triggers. Steve has laid out the trigger system before but, here are some pics of the racks... AKA DRUM WORLD!!!

RACK 1.jpg

RACK 2.jpg

And my BOY, Steve booting up the MAC!!

Steve Rack 1.jpg

Steve Rack 2.jpg

3:00 PM--- Line Check!!!
After everything was in place and set, they ran test on the sound board. I just sat at the drums and watched everything come together, this rink was slowly becoming a Motley Crue Circus! Steve was super cool and introduced me to all of the stage guys....

Kahuna-- is the stage manager.. at first I think he was weary about having a "fan" working with the crew. But after I pushed a huge load of road cases up the ramp, he seemed ok with me. This guy has a tough job. So much goes into setting up, and his job is to keep everyone in-line and on-time.

Darren-- the Bass Tech... I felt bad bad for him cause the keyboards wouldn't work!! But they got it....

Pryo-- the name speaks for it self. This guy can blow stuff UP!! Very cool team of guys working with him. I felt bad b/c the fire marshall was hassling him a bit. When Steve reads this, please let Pryo know I'm sorry about using his bathroom!!! LOL

I met so many people and all of them were really cool to me!

4:30 PM--- My Alone Time
Steve and the boys headed off to eat, shower, and take care of personal stuff, so I was allowed to leave and come back for the show, or I could just chill out and hang... Of course, I choose to stay... how many chances would I get to sit at Tommy Lee's Drums and look out into the sea of empty seats... So for a couple of hours I just sat with a pair of drumsticks rapping on the sidefills, and grinning like a butcher's dog! It was cool that Steve and the guys trusted me. I think they felt bad that we had run out of stuff to do, but I was in heaven on the kit... I must have cleaned those Plats 50 times, took the ripples out the front bass drum heads, put wraps on the drumsticks, and watched the stage performers pratice their stuff. Management would bring VIPS up on the stage to see it, the light guys were fixing a broken VARI-LITE, and the sound guys were working on a blown sound board... that's when I got my change to ROCK....

They sent a dude up from the sound crew to re-line check the drums. Needless to say, this dude was not a drummer and he couldn't hit the drums hard enough to open the gates and set off the tiggers, so they asked me to play for a bit............. HELL YEA!!!!!!!

That kit is a monster!!! The DW9000 pedals are sooooo smooth... the snare is huge... the toms are tuned perfectly.... it was a religious experince.... I also learned that Steve don't like when people play when he is not there (sorry bro). But he was cool when I told him that the sound guys MADE me do it!!!! In fact, he seemed happy that I got a chance to whirl around a bit.

8:00 PM--- ShowTime!!!
Once the show started, I headed out to sit with the Lighting Guys at the Front of House. Too much was going on backstage, and I would have been in the way. I think Steve though I was bummed out b/c I couldn't stay in DRUM WORLD during the show. Not at all.... with all the pryos and wires back there... I was much safer out front! The show rocked... the kit sounded great, the stunt kits were a big hit, and the fans got every pennys worth from the band! Sitting and watching the show, after seeing it all come together was really cool.... I have a whole new respect for the people that make rock concerts happen.... this crew knows what they are doing!

10:30 PM--- Tear Down
Right after the show I was told to report back to the drum kit. Up came the cases and down came the drums. Within mins, the kit was taken down and stowed away. Once I closed a case and gave the ok, the "hard hat" dudes would take it to the truck... Steve stood on the riser and took stuff off and I put it in the cases. He handed me the cowbell, which had taken a beating durning the show and said "Dude, thats for you". My little peice of that monster kit...

We then moved on to the Jam Room and torn everything down and put it in the cases. Here comes the "Hard Hat" dudes... and off go the cases... it was like the migration of the whales!!! A sea of black cases.... moving into the trucks... 8 trucks worth!!!

11:30 PM--- ALL DONE
We were finshed. I had a cowbell, a pair of drumsticks, and a crash course on the life of Steve. It was awesome! At 11:30 I realized I never got to meet Tommy and, strangely enough, I didnt really care. Sure, it would have been cool to meet him, but hell, I was too busy working! I didnt realize how much of a "gear head" I was until I got to play with all of the top on the line stuff, I was amazed at the quailty. And Tommy crushes his drums... I mean CRUSHES....
So me and Steve said goodbye. There is no real way to thank him for the experince he gave me...unless free labor counts!!! This was the coolest musical experince I have ever had. Sure playing in a band is great, but there is so much more than that for me... I love playing drums, with a band is great, but I still love playing drums... and I got to play TOMMY'S LEE DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!

Steve.... your are my BOY!!!! You hooked me up!!!! I owe ya big...

So, me and Steve said goodbye.... I found Kahuna and said thanks.... and Pryo too... I hope that I will get to be a part of something like this again!!! I told Steve when I left, that if he ever needs tech.... I'm his guy!!!

Here is a pic of my loot............. as you can see the sticks are well used!!!!

Pass.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading my "story"... If you get a change to see Motley live.... JUMP ON IT!!! We can debate all day about how good drummers are... but you'd be a fool to miss Tommy's show..... and trust me... Steve makes it all sound RAD!!!

I do have one pic of me sitting at the kit.... but I forget to upload load it to my web server... I will post it later!

Steve---- Thanks again Bro!!!! Enjoy the Combos!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thats effin' awesome!! Looks like you had an experience to be jealous of!

My brothers wifes best friends husband (yeah..I know, I know!) was a startup member of The Stone Roses (then call The Patrol) and nearly joined The Smiths. He went on to be The Fall's drummer for a good few years. He then got hired by Ian Brown (Stone Rose's) singer to be in his band. I got to see them twice in Hammersmith (place in London) and at the Reading festival. I even got a lift back to London on the tour bus at the end of it all watching blade on the tour bus DVD system!

Simon Wolstencroft is his name.

Thats my biggest claim to fame!

Oh...and I used to rehearse at a place called Terminal studios....anyone who was anyone over the past 25 years rehearses there! Got to see a few famous faces but only managed to get into a debate about the Simpson's with Brian Molko from Placebo...oh and beat Robbie Williams and Jamie Theakston at pool in the rest area...hehehe.

Last edited:

Goodtimes!!!! That post Shane wrote is pretty neat!! It's weird to see your daily life written out... I guess my gig isn't that bad!! Thank, Shane, for helping out. I had a blast.

Vibra-Slap'd said:
I wanted to share with all of you my awesome experince with Steve on this past Saturday.

Great post!

Nice pics and good writing style. Sounds like you had a great day.

Steve: very cool of you to bring people in to the inner world of Tech Land.

This might have been already asked and answered... but what kind of sticks are those? and are they wood? probably not im guessing.

Class A Drummer said:
This might have been already asked and answered... but what kind of sticks are those? and are they wood? probably not im guessing.

They are the AHEAD Tommy Lee Studio Model... With the Ahead Stick Wrap and Steveo's special marking tape... so Tommy can see them in the dark.... the sticks are Aluminum cores with plastic sleeves that can be changed....they also have a nylon tip....

BUT, I dont think Tommy changes many sleeves.... since he seems to bend the shafts.....

Steve, Let Tommy know things have not changed in Charter Oak.... Back in the day before all the fame these guys rocked some great backyard parties..... Back when I could stay up past 2 am and not worry about going to work and Tommy played SONOR.....

Have fun

UPDATE!!!

A bud of mine was at the show and took some pics with his phone of us tearing down..... THANKS LEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crappy quailty.... but still cool!!!!!!!!!!

Loading the China cymbal into the case.... Last cymbal to go in!
Photo_021806_015.jpg

Taking down some hardware
Photo_021806_016.jpg

More hardware
Photo_021806_017.jpg

The Cases waiting for the "Hard Hat" dudes!
Photo_021806_018.jpg

Putting the last piece in.... Steve's Seat!!
Photo_021806_019.jpg

cdawg_2010 said:
I thought those looked bent, but then i thought it was just me. He must play really hard. I'd love to seem him play

The sticks I got are TRASHED!!! Totally bend.... to me, thats what makes them so cool!!!! You should go see Motley when they come to your town.... trust me, you wont be let down!

excellent read. loved the details.
great experience man . not something that comes by everyday.

cool ass dude...

I got a chance to meet Tommy Lees tech.. Steevo aka Steve Morrison... although TL was unavailable Steve took some time to talk and even managed to get the BIG man to sign a pair of sig sticks... Steve has a great deal of knowledge in drums a programming... check his thread if you havent already...and youll see why he has a bomb ass job

Thanks again Steve...
RT

Re: cool ass dude...

RTDRUMS said:
I got a chance to meet Tommy Lees tech.. Steevo aka Steve Morrison... although TL was unavailable Steve took some time to talk and even managed to get the BIG man to sign a pair of sig sticks... Steve has a great deal of knowledge in drums a programming... check his thread if you havent already...and youll see why he has a bomb ass job

Thanks again Steve...
RT

Thats AWESOME Bro..... Steve is a good dude... glad ya got to meet him.... did you get to see the Drums up close?

Re: cool ass dude... it's ture

Vibra-Slap'd said:
Thats AWESOME Bro..... Steve is a good dude...
It's true... :) just kidding... got some cool changes to the kit coming up soon... I'll be posting some pics soon. Also, Tommy and I rewrote the drumsolo this past week with some serious new beats; anyone who has a chance should come to see the show. To all cats checking out my thread: IT"S AWESOME!!! THANKS!!! Peace & Love!

Back