Gibraltar Curved Rack setup ideas

dxdrummer

Hey guys

I've been using a curved rack for a couple years now, and I set up my drums like a jazz setup (2 toms on the left, ride where the low tom usually goes). I'd like to move my drums back over the bass drum, but I'm having problems figuring out how I can place my ride cymbal (if you've seen a picture of the curved rack, the 'stand' on the right side seems to get in the way)

Do any of you guys have any experience with using a rack system, and if so, how would you get around this problem? I like having my ride cymbal somewhat low and to my right side, but I don't want it way over to the side of me (like my floor tom)

Thanks in advance

Hey guys

I've been using a curved rack for a couple years now, and I set up my drums like a jazz setup (2 toms on the left, ride where the low tom usually goes). I'd like to move my drums back over the bass drum, but I'm having problems figuring out how I can place my ride cymbal (if you've seen a picture of the curved rack, the 'stand' on the right side seems to get in the way)

Do any of you guys have any experience with using a rack system, and if so, how would you get around this problem? I like having my ride cymbal somewhat low and to my right side, but I don't want it way over to the side of me (like my floor tom)

Thanks in advance

I've seen a few drummers do this: Put the stand (a boom) toward the middle of your bass drum and have the arm reach toward the floor toms, then angle the ride toward you. Essentially like if you had a third mounted tom the ride would be there. Though when I've seen people do this it's not as flat as most people play their rides, and its a bit higher up.

I can't find any pictures, but if you really wanted some I could go down this weekend and change my setup to show you...

Hey guys

Thanks in advance

Try taking and posting "before" and "after" pics so we can figure out how to help.

I feel your pain. I use the rack and here are a couple of pics of my setup. It seems to work out OK for me.

Attachments

• oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3,956
  • oak3.jpg
    oak3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 3,993
I'm using a curved rack and I just set it up last night in a way that sounds exactly like what your looking for. I'll get pics and post tonight.

I have my 10" and 12" toms mounted on the rack over over the kick but they are still shifted left. Then I also have my 20" ride mounted on the front cirved bar as far right as I could get it. So far I am really liking it. I should mention that I cut my vertical tubes down to 30" to bring down crash cymbal mounts and lower the crashes.

Pictures say a 1000 words. I'll post later today. Here is how I had it set up before

RMV14-29.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

your rack looks shorter then mine... the cymbal stand part of the rack anyway.

to the rest of you, I'll get pictures of this sometime later this week, it's in another location that I won't have access to until friday :-\

I'm using a curved rack and I just set it up last night in a way that sounds exactly like what your looking for. I'll get pics and post tonight.

I have my 10" and 12" toms mounted on the rack over over the kick but they are still shifted left. Then I also have my 20" ride mounted on the front cirved bar as far right as I could get it. So far I am really liking it. I should mention that I cut my vertical tubes down to 30" to bring down crash cymbal mounts and lower the crashes.

Pictures say a 1000 words. I'll post later today. Here is how I had it set up before

RMV14-29.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

is that a gong bass drum next to your floor tom?

1st one is my current setup (the crash on the right side emulates where the standing up portion of the rack is.

2nd one is more what i'm looking for I guess (the 2nd cymbal stand gets in teh way)

Do you have a virgin bass drum? If not, I'd say go ahead and mount your toms on the tom holder that is on your bass drum, then you can move the rack forward a bit and the ride can be mounted on a boom on the side wing bar (if you have one),without the vertical post getting in the way.

Do you have a virgin bass drum? If not, I'd say go ahead and mount your toms on the tom holder that is on your bass drum, then you can move the rack forward a bit and the ride can be mounted on a boom on the side wing bar (if you have one),without the vertical post getting in the way.

well, my bass drum came with holes drilled in it, but I took the tom mounts off the bass drum because it kept obstructing my placement of the toms on the rack.

Also I hate the look of drums mounted on the bass drum :p

That's a good idea though, I may try that

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to A: take a pipe cutter to the vetical posts, so they just clear the horzonal bar, and/or B: get a second main bar, a third post, and a 3-way clamp, making the rack three-legged, with a central post and one each at extreme left and right. My kick is offset, following my foot, almost as if it's a double-bass kit with the left kick removed, so the center is empty.

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to A: take a pipe cutter to the vetical posts, so they just clear the horzonal bar, and/or B: get a second main bar, a third post, and a 3-way clamp, making the rack three-legged, with a central post and one each at extreme left and right. My kick is offset, following my foot, almost as if it's a double-bass kit with the left kick removed, so the center is empty.

pipe cutter idea doesn't sound too bad... but i'd prefer not to run the risk of damaging my rack beyond repair :\

Back