can I claim beatles rock band as a business expense?

does this count as "training" or "research" If I can claim cds and digital downloads why not music video games?

It should be considered software, but research would be the next best choice.

Bermuda

does this count as "training" or "research" If I can claim cds and digital downloads why not music video games?

wow you can get music on expenses? That's pretty cool. Well why don't you ask them? It's best to be honest when claiming expenses, it's better to be told "no" from the outset then to lie and end up losing the public confidence and allowing the facists to win 2 seats in europe. >(

You can itemize it as an expense. Just remember to back it up with a little more than a receipt. A dated note or memo saying why you are using it. Later if you are audited, it will most likely fly.

I have been self employed most of my adult life and it is amazing the different things that can become allowable expenses on your tax return.

you can claim all kinds of stuff as business expenses in the states.
It's not a 1 for 1 tax refund, you just don't have to pay taxes on income that you used for business.

clothing, shoes = costumes/uniforms
trade magazines, cds, concert tickets, etc = research
you can claim 50% of your meals on the road, in the studio, on your way to gigs
also any time you go out to eat with other musicians or club owners business contacts you can claim 50% of those expenses also.
mileage to and from gig, etc.

I know rock band is kind of stretching it but It is kind of related to my job.

You have to show income from playing music though, you can't be a waiter and claim all this stuff.

Bermuda.....do you play Rock Band???

I tried it at NAMM for about 5 songs, and really couldn't lock into to the screen to get a decent score. I guess I have to unlearn 40+ years of reading notation and 25+ years working with an audible click, and there just wasn't time that day.

Bermuda

I tried it at NAMM for about 5 songs, and really couldn't lock into to the screen to get a decent score. I guess I have to unlearn 40+ years of reading notation and 25+ years working with an audible click, and there just wasn't time that day.

Bermuda

Haha yeah, that would be tough. Thanks for the reply.

I found the transition to rock band really easy. They have a calibration mode so you can calibrate the tv and the sound and your playing, but I figured it out fine on the default. I can pretty much sight read any song on rock band on hard except for a few songs like iron maiden and stuff like that. I actually found the harder stuff like the rush songs to be easier for some reason.

I can't imagine the beatles one will be very hard at all. I am excited to do the vocals though and learn some of the harmonies.

My 1st thought as a CPA in training, is that's a stretch.

I guess it comes down to: if an IRS agent is auditing you, how do you explain it's value as research to you? If you have a good answer, then I suppose it could be.

Lord knows I've written off plenty of music related items over the years.

Some advice From Me To You

I Don't want To Spoil The Party but You Can't Do That
The Tax Man won't like that
You'll be in Chains doing hard labor Eight Days A Week
It will be The End
So Act Naturally,Get Back, Think For Yourself, ask for Help!
And Don't Let me Down

You can do what ever you want so long as you don't get caught.

The fun part is figuring out how.

Try counting it as a medical expense :eek:)

In the UK I own a Limited Company and I count drum lessons as 'essential relaxation' and put them through my business. The argument is that the immense stress I work under has to be dealt with in some way and that reducing stress is a productivity issue i.e. I work harder and more efficiently when not stressed. Plus there is a long term benefit in reducing the risk of litigation as I am less likely to take my company (the one I own) to court for stress related illness.

Not sure whether that would work in the USA?

I am sure your local ACORN office will show you how to do it. shhhhh it's not on any so called truthful media outlet.

Last edited:
Back