Digital camera shopping...

T

trkdrmr

My 5.1 mp digicam is now official 5 years old. It never was all that fast, and the flash system wasn't that good.

I am looking into a new one, and I know I can get something nice UNDER $400. My specs include:

- Must have at least 10x optical zoom
- Must have decent flash system
- Must have variable shutter speeds
- Must be at least 8 MP or better.
- Must have no more than minimalphoto quality issues.

Right now, I have my eye on one or two models of a Panasonic Lumix. They use Leica lenses and parts. The reviews I have read also indicate that barrel distortion and other issues that plague affordable digital cameras are minimal.

I don't want to go overboard with the prosumer stuff.. IE: $750+ body and $1k lenses.
I want something sensible, but capable in the "sweet spot" of the line.

I am going to use said new camera to photograph my new kit in January.

Recommendations?

I just bought a Sony DSLR Alpha 200. It is an entry level DSLR at 500.00 that comes with
an 18 to 70mm lens or you can shop for it as just the body. 10.2 MP a ton of shooting modes. etc. Check it out on line. My main reason for buying it was that I had a Minolta SLR that used film, and didn't want to do the film route any longer, but didn't want to put the good lenses, 200mm and 300mm, on the shelf to collect dust. This Sony body is compatible with the Minolta lenses. So for my use it was the perfect fit. You should be able to find it in the PX for less maybe. I love it and the next step up was 200.00 more dollars that I didn't want to spend. Happy shopping.

I`m currently looking at the Samsung NV24 HD camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NV24H...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228563148&sr=8-1

I won`t talk about the 10 megapixels as those, combined with a high ISO setting just produce signal noise.
Other than that I`m really impressed by this camera. Especially for the price (about 190$) this one makes stunning looking photos and videos. Videos can be recorded with a 1280x720p solution and 30 fps.
It`s great that the camera comes with a "Schneider Kreuznach" wide angle lens. Not just because of 24mm wide angle but also because those Schneider Kreuznach lenses are very high-quality.
Here you can check out some photos I`ve made with my parent`s Kodak EasyShare:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39923

And a coloured photo of my kit:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/Drummer_Karl/100_1602_fc.jpg

Another cool feature about the Samsung NV24 seems to be the dual image stabilization. If you`re not shooting with flash this is helpful to avoid blurry photos.
Great contrasts, colour and simply sharp. There are various options to change and improve picture quality and various flash settings.
Although it doesn`t have a 10x optical zoom (in fact, it has 3.6x) it certainly is a new flagship in this price range.

When I get it I`ll of course post some photos and HD videos here.

Hope that helps a bit... =)

Karl

I will look into the suggestions. One thing I must have: a hot shoe connection for external flash. Those tiny built in flashes aren't going to cut it for what I want to do.

I could "compromise* to 8 or 9mp, so long as that is the only issue, not barrel distortion or dark, shaky zoom etc.

Thanks!

I just bought a Sony DSLR Alpha 200. It is an entry level DSLR at 500.00 that comes with
an 18 to 70mm lens or you can shop for it as just the body. 10.2 MP a ton of shooting modes. etc. Check it out on line. My main reason for buying it was that I had a Minolta SLR that used film, and didn't want to do the film route any longer, but didn't want to put the good lenses, 200mm and 300mm, on the shelf to collect dust. This Sony body is compatible with the Minolta lenses. So for my use it was the perfect fit. You should be able to find it in the PX for less maybe. I love it and the next step up was 200.00 more dollars that I didn't want to spend. Happy shopping.

I *wish* we had a px/bx worth a crap. They have slid downhill in terms of stock, and non competative prices on electronics.

I looked into that sony and it, with an external flash would come to around $700 +/-. That is the kind of dough I am expecting to put into a decent system, and get me out of the compact arena. I like Zeiss lenses vs just a slap-on generic lens.

The Rebel EOS digital is close in price, but the lens is lousy to pedestrian according to everything I read.

There is a website like "adorama" that will go a la carte on stuff and it might be my best bet.

To be honest unless you're going to be making really big pictures it's better to spend money on a good lens than a good amount of megapixels.

One of the compromises I am not willing to make is to sacrifice zoom or image quality for another higher MP #.

I have been reading various reviews, and they point to the fact the companies like subtle deception to sell cameras.

The companies will say something like "6x zoom!" Which is 2x optical and 4x digital. That's pretty useless to me.

And I have seen a couple 10MP cameras that score a middling to poor rating on how terrible the zoom is. Unstable, dark, distorted etc...

The optical part is the most vital, since nothing really improves a poor picture from a poor optic system. My old camera simply would not put enough light on the subject, and the shutter wasn't ast enough for motion, wasn't slow enough for still objects.

I am going to choose the least compromised model for the money to be sure.

don't get all caught up in the megapixels. I have a Canon 40d with 10.1 MP and I get some great photos with that. However it doesn't matter how great the body is if the lens is second rate. The Rebel XTi is a fine camera and can be had for a reasonable price. Pair that with a real good lens and you're in business. I prefer lenses with fixed f-stops over variable f-stop lenses although they tend to be a bit more expensive. Most kit lenses that come with cameras are variable aperture. Bottom line is a real good lens makes all the difference.

$588.90 with free shipping, two lenses will cover you from 18-200mm pretty good deal from a great dealer... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588821-REG/Nikon__D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Looks like an excellent contender! I am scoping out the reviews. My goal is to achieve an 8 or a 9 score on the Dunnett scale of drum photography. I can't afford the camera setup he has at the moment but here is what I am after:

Poor......Middling.....Very Good....Excellent...Dunnett ;)

don't get all caught up in the megapixels. I have a Canon 40d with 10.1 MP and I get some great photos with that. However it doesn't matter how great the body is if the lens is second rate. The Rebel XTi is a fine camera and can be had for a reasonable price. Pair that with a real good lens and you're in business. I prefer lenses with fixed f-stops over variable f-stop lenses although they tend to be a bit more expensive. Most kit lenses that come with cameras are variable aperture. Bottom line is a real good lens makes all the difference.

Hey, BS.. what the word on 50d? Is it a significant improvement on the 40d? Do you know?

Hey, BS.. what the word on 50d? Is it a significant improvement on the 40d? Do you know?

New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.
Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.
3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.
Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.
9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.
New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.
Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.
Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.
Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Amazon has it for around $1100 body only which is about what I paid for the 40d.
They now sell the 40d for about $840 which is a pretty good deal. You'd have to do some in-depth comparisons to see if the 50d is worth the extra bucks.

Back