Just back from my first ever jam session

Magenta

Platinum Member
A couple of weeks ago I met up with a vocalist friend and a bass player I'd found via Facebook. We got on ok so we drew up a list of songs we thought we might like to have a bash at, and tonight was the night.

It was LOADS of fun! I was hampered by the fact that I was playing the vocalist's partner's e-kit, which has a bass drum that is somewhat intermittent, and of course it didn't feel or sound like Mabel, but that aside, I've just realised now that I hadn't even felt nervous and consequently didn't make many mistakes at all - and nobody, not even me, was bothered when I did.

We are still in need of a guitarist but I think we may have found one, I'm just waiting for him to get back to me to say yay or nay and I'm inclined to believe it'll be a yay.

We've culled a few songs from the list and added a few more - the singer has a rather soft, sweet voice so we need to find stuff that suits her - and as I'm away for the next couple of weeks it'll give us all a chance to work on them before getting back together again.

I am really happy!

Hey, well done.
I was in the same boat a while ago and it was the best thing i had done for a long time :)
Good to hear it all went well
Steve

Excellent news! I love hearing these stories as new chapters unfold in peoples' lives.

Right on!

I love jams. Try and keep going and supporting the jam that got you started like this! They will appreciate it, and you will learn tons. Play un-comfortable things with people you don't know!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Hooking up with the right people makes all the difference.

It's the whole point ! (To me anyway).

Love to play with others. Have to admit I was totally spent from the nerves the first time.

Absolutely superb news!!!!! OK, the Ekit's a bit of a bummer, but it's way down the list of things that matter. Pulling together material that suits the singer, yet satisfies everyone else's needs, is paramount. The rest is fun & journey.

What a great start!!!! :)

Thanks everybody :). Our next sesh is at my house so I'll have Mabel, and I've already decided I'd rather take Maud than play the e-kit again.

I'm still grinning. I blagged my way through a couple of songs I'd never played before, and even threw in the occasional fillette! Timing-wise, we all stayed together and none of us were aware of any changes in tempo. I'm so glad that we seem to "fit" each other.

Playing with others is a whole new dimension and a lot more fun! Glad to hear you had a great first experience. What kind of music are you doing?

What kind of music are you doing?

The two songs we all liked best were You're So Vain and Need Your Love So Bad (Fleetwood Mac). We think we'll probably have an angle towards slightly country/bluesy stuff because of the singer's voice, but it wasn't difficult to talk her into considering White Room (my current favourite song ever).

And hey, you played someone else's kit and survived, like a true pro!

Hahaha thanks!

well done my (not) welsh princess!!! so glad it went well, J :)

Awesome stuff! Playing alongisde others is one of the best ways to learn. I'm self taught (mainly) and started playing when a buddy of mine took up guitar, we immediatley formed a little band with a bass player friend, which never left the practice room until two years later and spent the first four years of my musical journey with them.

@Jonny Sumo: nice to see another yeller belly on here!

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Yay Madge! Another one hooked!

A week ago you didn't know who Eric Clapton was, now he's playing on your current favorite song! And you're jamming with friends! Next thing you know, you will be gigging out and recording! Slow down woman!

Back