Stupid Deal of the Day

awesome I've been waiting for this to happen again..

thankx a bunch...

They are really bad, not just the mics themselves but the clamps that hold them break pretty consistently. I only used them for a few months before they were toast. I then saved up and bought an Audix mic set with a D6, i5, D2's, and a D4 and it was a much better purchase.

Don't go super cheap where mics are concerned!! If you only have $100, buy an i5 or an SM57 instead, or save up to get a full set of decent mics later. This set is pretty much a waste of money.

(...) I then saved up and bought an Audix mic set with a D6, i5, D2's, and a D4 and it was a much better purchase.

Don't go super cheap where mics are concerned!! If you only have $100, buy an i5 or an SM57 instead, or save up to get a full set of decent mics later. This set is pretty much a waste of money.
Exactly. You don't want to go too cheap with mics and have them limit your sonic potential, this will only lead to frustration and you'd ask yourself why your recordings don't sound any better. Do it like cymbals - buy one mic at a time (if buying a full package isn't an option), but decent quality. And those mics mentioned are quite affordable. Microphones are 'instruments' like just about anything else.

Not sure, but I suspect that set would be just fine for live use.

For recording - maybe not so much.

I have used this exact kit for live gigs and I'm very pleased. As for recording, I wouldn't even try anything that wouldn't be of fairly high quality. That's pretty much a rule of thumb if you're looking for good recording results. Definitely worth the $99 though if your plans are for using them for live performances. The best thing to do is to have a kit like this for live use, and a much better quality kit ( or a good mix of quality mics ) for in the studio.

The kit is certainly well worth the $99 IMO.

I'd save my $99 and keep saving to get a decent mic pack. 2 sm57's would serve you much better than that mic pack.

Clipping issues are almost certainly due to gain staging (level setting), or mic placement.

I should mention that my dad is an awful audio engineer but with the same placement on all toms (or extended to the clamps' maximum range) the rack toms worked but either floor tom clipped. I don't recall them clipping when I used the pack's snare mic on the snare, yet that mic (exact same as the tom mics) clipped instantly on the floor toms. Luckily he had some AKG mics that we now use for the floor toms.

The microphones themselves usually don't clip unless your reaching their maximum SPL (sound pressure limit) limit, and this figure varies quite a bit between different models of microphones. It's the front end, or head end, circuitry of the mixer that is being over saturated with sound levels from the microphone which causes the mixer to go into clipping. This is why most better mixers have a gain adjustment on each channel to keep this from happening and to keep the mixer happy. Back in the "tube" or valve era of mixing, things would still clip, but it would be on a much more gradual slope than present day electronics and computers. Years ago some engineers would calibrate their tape machines to record "hot" to actually incorporate this effect to achieve a fuller and fatter sound for some types of music.

Dennis

The microphones themselves usually don't clip unless your reaching their maximum SPL (sound pressure limit) limit. It's the front end, or head end, circuitry of the mixer that is being over saturated with sound levels from the microphone which causes the mixer to go into clipping.

Ah. That makes sense. I'll chalk that one up to my dad's "engineering", then. I swear every time we record it takes him 30 minutes to figure out what mics are which drums. "Why are we getting so much of the snare in your kick mic? [5 minutes later] Oh, they're assigned to the wrong input." "Why am I not getting a signal from that mic? [5 min. later] Oh, the gain's all the way down".

Real quotes. Real life. Real Patricide. -_-

Back