Drum wrap alternatives?

Can anyone suggest any?

See, I got the samples from JamminSam... those I like, I don't want to drop $400 into rewrapping my kit. (Its a 4 piece Pearl Export I got from a friend for $50 [snare drum was not included]). The selection of the solid colors on JamminSam's I don't like. I don't want black or white.

I just got the drum wrap samples from DrumMaker and I kinda like the green and like the red and the blue metallic a little, but they seem mighty thin compared to the JamminSam wraps.

I sure as hell know I will not get anything from RockenWraps.... $$$

The outer wood looks crappy enough that that shoots staining them right in the butt.

So.... is there anything else someone could suggest?

I could easily entertain the idea of painting them.

I guess what I told my wife is true about myself "I can be a picky little b_ _ ch"
yes there is something you can do you can go to your local fabric store and find that there are a world of killer colors and desighns youll be over whelmed i do this alot to change up my look i just cant express this technique enough for the drummer who wants a new look but cant afford new drums also you can change a 7pc set for 50 bucks depending on your selection ... good luck and please let me know how iit went if you need some advice id be happy to help you in any way to tget you started and enjoy your ever changing look.....................pix

what Baz said is a great idea: there are some amazing vinyl graphics out there. you can get them at sign shops, amongst other sources.

you can also get solid colours too!

probably won't be super cheap, though.

as long as you are careful and precise with your assembly, there's very little to be left to the imagination.

HI! I see that I've come VERY LATE to the discussion, but I'm looking for tips on rewrapping drums in fabric...sounds VERY cool!! I'd like to wrap my marching drums in a Scottish tartan. Any tips or pointers?
THANKS!! :)

JUST THIS WEEK, I stripped down an old DDRUM set to find the wood unstainable and painting wasn't hiding all of the blemishes. SO, I put on another coat of Rust Oleum flat black paint and after it set about 2 hours it was very sticky but not so bad that I got paint all over myself when I touched it....I went to Walmart and for about $15 bought tons of gold and silver sparkle glitter and just went jackie chan all over the drums with it, Now the shells are 100% covered in gold glitter with silver hi lites. Then after it set for 24 hours I put 5 coats of Clear gloss polyurethane on it.

Looks sharp, Pics hopefully next week.,.....But they have gold, silver, purple, green, etc etc

I'm not looking for a drum wrap alternatve, I can't find the color wrap I want! Has anyone seen a solid silver or gun metal type wrap...no sparkles or glitters, just solid.

I'm not looking for a drum wrap alternatve, I can't find the color wrap I want! Has anyone seen a solid silver or gun metal type wrap...no sparkles or glitters, just solid.

Reviving a dead thread for no reason... Strike one.
Doing so to ask a question intentionally unrelated to the thread... Strike two.
Failing to even TRY using the search function to find an appropriate thread... well, yeah, that's a lot to accomplish in your first post. :)

So, drumsword, any pics of that glitter job?

So, drumsword, any pics of that glitter job?

i believe he had posted some pics a while back...

i did basically the same thing as this guy with a tama swingstar kit.
the guy who owns them doesnt care so we got furniture wax and threw a few coats on.
they look pretty good. clear coat but it isnt too shiny.

id like to cover them in fur honestly.

I used to use kitchen shelving paper to cover old drums. They make a stainless steel finish which looks pretty cool or a marble finish. I wrapped my kick drum in scooby doo wrapping paper. Really you can do anything. Go to your local morgue and and ask them to donate some old scrotum sacks, just enough to cover a small tom at least. I'll betcha no one's done that! You'll be the coolest dude on the block.

How about this?

p1000925sm.jpg
4658_1070251964555_1473790586_30210846_7642862_n.jpg

£7.98 from the local crafts store.

Last edited:
I AM Mr. Cheap,,mine are done with Contact paper. The trick is to then put a coat of clear polyurethane over the wrap when you are done. 15-20 dollar investment, left the old wrap on. The contact paper actually protects the original wrap in case you would ever like to sell the kit.

Attachments

• Picture 107 smaller.jpg
    Picture 107 smaller.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 25,419
my late 70's/early 80's Tama Swingstar - Purple Fur. I did my whole kit with this fur, but I dont have many pictures, yet.

Attachments

• 5809_120564751784_504241784_2297973_6704456_n.jpg
    5809_120564751784_504241784_2297973_6704456_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 21,958
  • n504241784_2298078_834103.jpg
    n504241784_2298078_834103.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 21,720
I just did a vinyl graphics rewrap. The results are less than stellar. Problem is if their are any flaws in your original wrap, they are magnified. I imagine if I had used a really shiny kind it would have been worse. I only had one drum to do, and my goal was just to make it black, so I guess mission accomplished. I am using it as a timbale so I covered up the bottom lug holes.
My inspectors were pointing out the flaws in the first pic.
I could have spent a lot of time preparing to make the end results better, but its a cheap drum and not worth it.
The second pic doesn't really show the flaws very well, I must have picked a good spot, lol.
BTW, I only spent 8 bucks so I'm not too sick about it.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 21,856
  • DSC00421.jpg
    DSC00421.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 22,929
I dig that NY Times snare. Of course you could theme it with whatever floats your boat.

dwsnare.jpg

I would think old concert posters or gig fliers would look cool. You know how telephone poles on busy street corners can look when smattered with years of gig flyers? Or Dead tour posters if you're into that.

Last edited:
Back