Batter Head for a 18x16 bass drum

wberry00

Hey ya'll I'm switching from a 22" kick to a an 18". I want to have a nice low end and boom like a bigger bass, but want to have punch as well. Kinda like a hip hop sounding bass. Any suggestions on head choice?

Maybe a Powerstroke 2 or 3 on the batter and a coated Emperor on the reso. Or something equivalent from Aquarian or Evans. Just don't over muffle it or you could kill the good tones. Are you planning on putting anything inside of the drum like a pillow, blanket, or towel.

Not really, I am thinking of changing my beater to around felt though

The smaller drum is going to give you more "punch" automatically. You just need to focus on keeping the "boom". I'd recommend, whatever heads you use, to keep the resonant head intact. I, personally, like the Aquarian head with the muffle ring glued to the inside of it as a reso, and then a PS3 or EMAD on the batter. If you need more boom, and even more tone, then go with coated Ambassadors on batter and resonant sides.

Hey ya'll I'm switching from a 22" kick to a an 18". I want to have a nice low end and boom like a bigger bass, but want to have punch as well. Kinda like a hip hop sounding bass. Any suggestions on head choice?

PM sent with some suggestions. If you don't get enough open tone to your liking try a thinner front head than the route I suggested in the PM.

Experiment and have fun!

LOVE 18"x16" bass drums.........

Well, I've got coated Ambassadors on both batter and reso heads of my 18x14 kick and it's VERY boomy. I'm considering changing my batter head and I'm not sure to what. I don't want something too muted, but all this resonating boom is a little much...

Late to the thread but thought I would share. I just converted an 18"x 18" Pearl Maple tom to a kick and I'm going through the same selection process. I'd like to be able to try all the cool Kick heads I've used on my 22" but with steel rims you can't use those kick heads designed for wood hoops sooo it's "roll your own" time! I'm looking for a nice deep focused fundamental with some pop and not too much ring. Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Starting point was with 2 Attack medium single plys that were on the tom when I got it. WAY too much ring for Kick use.
2. Tried a towel laying against both heads. Temporarily better but too dead and not a good final solution
3. Cut a 4" hole off center on the res head. Helped shorten the sustain and still has some body to the tone. Still too much "boing" ring.
4. Applied 1/4 sticky foam around the edge about an inch from the rim. OK for now and I'm happy now with res duration now to the batter side.
5. Wanted a deeper more focused fundamental. Tried the 1/4 foam around the edge of the batter. Helped but I the sound is thin and plasticy. I think I need a thicker 2 ply batter.
6. Looking at the kick heads in Zone music you can see that they are either very thick single or 2 ply. I considered Remo Powerstroke3 coated, Evans Onyx, and Evans Hydraulic So I decided to go all the way to the dead end of the spectrum and ordered, and I can't believe I'm saying this, an Evans Hydraulic! At least now they come in clear and black so that blue doean't give it away! Comes in next Thursday so I'll update then.

Meanwhile I already love this 18" kick. Transformed My whole kit! Here's a pic.
CC

Attachments

• 1205091550s.JPG
    1205091550s.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,889
Back