New Lamb of God album--thoughts?

drumnoob

Here's mine anyway. I got it this weekend. Before hearing Wrath my favorite LoG album was Ashes of the Wake. Afterwards...well, it still is Ashes of the Wake. Ashes really has the best production values of any metal album I've heard--the sound of the album in addition to the performance is just pristine.

Wrath isn't bad by any means. I would say that it's even a marginal improvement over Sacrament. I was surprised and impressed to hear a couple blastbeats from Adler thrown in there. And it's a very tight guitar chunkfest too.

The best thing is that there's nothing as embarrassing as "Redneck" on there. The bad thing is that they're still trying to put some Southern sounding guitar work on there. I don't like it. There is (was) already one Pantera--we don't need another one when LoG sounds so good on their own.

Hey i never thought redneck was such a bad song. The problem is that too many bands are judged on what they're "supposed" to sound like. I'm interested in getting the new album but it probably won't be for a while since there are others on my wishlist.

I love it.
And, I also love Redneck. They can play what they want to play, leave what they should shound like up to them.

Set to Fail & Contractor are the best, but in Contractor he says "Hammer hammer down" just like in Overkill's "Skull and Bones" w/ Randy

Redneck is one their best songs!!!!

Why I only met Chris Adler the other day, the good man even signed my snare, dudes a legend....

chrisadler.jpg
[/IMG]

snare.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's mine anyway. I got it this weekend. Before hearing Wrath my favorite LoG album was Ashes of the Wake. Afterwards...well, it still is Ashes of the Wake. Ashes really has the best production values of any metal album I've heard--the sound of the album in addition to the performance is just pristine.

Wrath isn't bad by any means. I would say that it's even a marginal improvement over Sacrament. I was surprised and impressed to hear a couple blastbeats from Adler thrown in there. And it's a very tight guitar chunkfest too.

The best thing is that there's nothing as embarrassing as "Redneck" on there. The bad thing is that they're still trying to put some Southern sounding guitar work on there. I don't like it. There is (was) already one Pantera--we don't need another one when LoG sounds so good on their own.

Lamb of God has always had a slight southern touch on their records. I personally think it gives their music a lot more distinction. Saying we don't need another Pantera is like saying, "I hate Burger King and how they put cheese on their burgers, we don't need another McDonalds."

And personally I really liked the aggression found on Wrath but I still think Sacrament was their strongest release. The production creates such a dark, ominous atmosphere, and Adler in my opinion is at his best on Sacrament.

But I do agree that "Redneck" blatantly stood out as a "Let's try to get on the MTV2 rotation" single, especially in comparison to the rest of Sacrament.

I thought it was Cool. In my opinion, its one of their best ones, right next to Ashes. I think this album they found their Niche.

Lamb of God has always had a slight southern touch on their records. I personally think it gives their music a lot more distinction. Saying we don't need another Pantera is like saying, "I hate Burger King and how they put cheese on their burgers, we don't need another McDonalds."

Not exactly, in my opinion. Sacrament to me is when they started with the Southern touches (certain guitar bends, the occasional blues note, etc.) at least that I thought were noticeable. The McD/BK analogy is really funny but is a little broader than what I was saying :) And hey, if you're into the Southern/blues touches that they're doing, that's cool. I'm really happy that people are buying and enjoying their albums because they deserve the success.

But I do agree that "Redneck" blatantly stood out as a "Let's try to get on the MTV2 rotation" single, especially in comparison to the rest of Sacrament.

Amen! I agree 1000%. Even if you don't view that song as a black eye on the album like I do, you gotta admit it's at least a black sheep. It was pretty misleading as a single since it's not indicative of anything else on the CD, or anything in their catalog for that matter. That album as a whole is excellent, as is Wrath. I hope not too many people heard "Redneck" as their first LoG song (the video is even more retarded and lame--"a metal band at a little kid's b-day party--that's so BRUTAL!") and wrote the band off as a Pantera clone/nu-metal act.

But hey, it did get them a Grammy nomination and is paying their bills. So good on 'em--just don't do it again :)

Amen! I agree 1000%. Even if you don't view that song as a black eye on the album like I do, you gotta admit it's at least a black sheep. It was pretty misleading as a single since it's not indicative of anything else on the CD, or anything in their catalog for that matter. That album as a whole is excellent, as is Wrath. I hope not too many people heard "Redneck" as their first LoG song (the video is even more retarded and lame--"a metal band at a little kid's b-day party--that's so BRUTAL!") and wrote the band off as a Pantera clone/nu-metal act.

But hey, it did get them a Grammy nomination and is paying their bills. So good on 'em--just don't do it again :)

It was my first Lamb of God song, it actually braught me onto them, not repelled. The music video was fitting, it's supposed to be odd like that. The mom thinks their an all good catholic band and they are brutally supprised when they show up.

And, that and Black Label are my two favorite songs. I hope they keep up songs like that.

It was my first Lamb of God song, it actually braught me onto them, not repelled. The music video was fitting, it's supposed to be odd like that. The mom thinks their an all good catholic band and they are brutally supprised when they show up.

And, that and Black Label are my two favorite songs. I hope they keep up songs like that.

Though I've known of Lamb of God since the Burn the Priest days, I'll agree with you. And, it was my favorite song ,too, for some time.

Wrath is great, some old school blast beats, the always creative double bass and nice and raw to boot - just a helluva an album! my favorite is Set To Fail, but In Your Words, Fake messiah and Broken hands are right there!

Not exactly, in my opinion. Sacrament to me is when they started with the Southern touches (certain guitar bends, the occasional blues note, etc.) at least that I thought were noticeable. The McD/BK analogy is really funny but is a little broader than what I was saying :) And hey, if you're into the Southern/blues touches that they're doing, that's cool. I'm really happy that people are buying and enjoying their albums because they deserve the success.

Hey i thought the video was great. I mean what did you want them to do, stand around and play infront of a couple of cameras in a dank old abandoned leaky warehouse like all the other metal songs in the whole world? And i don't know what you hate so much about southern influences, just because pantera did them doesn't mean other people can't do them as well. I mean what if people had said "ohh we can't do pinch harmonics/c tuning/guitar harmonised solos because that's already been done by ANOTHER BAND!"
Don't be silly.

Hey i thought the video was great. I mean what did you want them to do, stand around and play infront of a couple of cameras in a dank old abandoned leaky warehouse like all the other metal songs in the whole world? And i don't know what you hate so much about southern influences, just because pantera did them doesn't mean other people can't do them as well. I mean what if people had said "ohh we can't do pinch harmonics/c tuning/guitar harmonised solos because that's already been done by ANOTHER BAND!"
Don't be silly.

Sigh. I thought I made it clear that I was only giving my opinion--you're more than welcome to yours. And just because mine differs from yours, doesn't mean I'm silly.

"Redneck" and its accompanying video suck, are terrible, juvenile and creatively barren, especially compared to their other work, and are an obvious attempt for a great metal band to cash in for more mainstream success while also mimicking another great band's signature sound. Boom--that's my opinion. Since I started the thread, I think I'm entitled to it :)

Sorry, everyone, but musical taste can never be objective. I'm more than welcome to my opinion, and I highly doubt I'm the only person who thinks "Redneck" sucks.

And since when are the only two video choices a metal band has are trashing a kid's party and playing in a warehouse?

Sigh. I thought I made it clear that I was only giving my opinion--you're more than welcome to yours. And just because mine differs from yours, doesn't mean I'm silly.

"Redneck" and its accompanying video suck, are terrible, juvenile and creatively barren, especially compared to their other work, and are an obvious attempt for a great metal band to cash in for more mainstream success while also mimicking another great band's signature sound. Boom--that's my opinion. Since I started the thread, I think I'm entitled to it :)

Sorry, everyone, but musical taste can never be objective. I'm more than welcome to my opinion, and I highly doubt I'm the only person who thinks "Redneck" sucks.

And since when are the only two video choices a metal band has are trashing a kid's party and playing in a warehouse?

I'm not saying that i just think that at least they're making an effort with their videos unlike some bands. Nobody is saying you have to like that song but what i'm saying about the warehouse thing is that you might not like the video but it definetly does not lack imagination compared to a lot of band videos.

Last edited:

No no, you're going about this 'opinion' thing all wrong.

'"Redneck" and its accompanying video suck...', you see, this seems more like a fact being stated than an opinion. In fact, the only thing that negated that paragraph being stated as gospel was "boom--that's my opinion". You're entitled to your own opinion, sure, but don't put it in such a "my horse is higher than yours" way.

Back