what is KeyHoleing?

D

Daeoux98

im a new drummer and i see people saying cymbals get keyholeing and i have no idea what it is, can anyone help me out?

Great answer!

The mounting hole in a cymbal starts out as a perfect circle when it is new. If not properly mounted, the hole ends up looking like a keyhole after a while. Sometimes also happens with a heavy cymbal and a sharp angle, gravity takes over. Also when the cymbal is abused; improper playing. Best to avoid metal-on-metal contact by checking your plastic cymbal sleeves and felts once in a while.

Great answer!

The mounting hole in a cymbal starts out as a perfect circle when it is new. If not properly mounted, the hole ends up looking like a keyhole after a while. Sometimes also happens with a heavy cymbal and a sharp angle, gravity takes over. Also when the cymbal is abused; improper playing. Best to avoid metal-on-metal contact by checking your plastic cymbal sleeves and felts once in a while.

I check every time i remove my cymbals for gigging etc. I also always carry with me spare sleeves for stand i may use at gigs etc that don't have any decent ones.

Great advice. Enough said.

I check every time i remove my cymbals for gigging etc. I also always carry with me spare sleeves for stand i may use at gigs etc that don't have any decent ones.

Great policy, it's easy to think that because you have plastic sleeves that they will protect the cymbal from metal to metal contact, but in my experience they last a month before they start to wear through. It's no good having a protective sleeve that's not protecting anything.

Back