Which powered speaker for v-drum practice

Huck

Hi: I am getting tired of listening through head-phones,so I am thinkin of going with a single powered speaker and I was looking at these three; Mackie SRM450 V2,JBL Eon 315 and maybe the Yamaha MSR400. The Mackie and JBL are about the same money,the JBL has the 15" woofer, but less power. Going to use the headphone out on TD-10 module (single 1/4" TRS) to 1/4" input on speak.Which one would you pick and why? For home practice only. Thanks,Keith

I actually tried one of the 15" harbinger acive speakers at Guitarcenter to see how it would sound. I Tried it on a Roland TD4 as thats what I have. For $200 I figured it would be versatile to have around. Although the speaker sounds nice as a PA speaker, I found that the 15" sounds good for the low and bass drum, but it sounded a little muddy for all the mids as is 70% of the kit. The Cymbals sounded just ok. Maybe the problem was its a cheap speaker.
The active speaker did have an EQ and we had to turn down the bass to make it sound good.

If you go during the day, I would think they would help you bring some of the powered speakers to try on the different kits so you can hear for yourself. Try a 12" as it will have quicker response and probably enouth bass.

I have two JBL Eon 15 speakers in my PA that I have been using for four years and I like them a lot. Easy to use, reliable, powerful, terrific sound and a basic mixer is built in. Can't go wrong with those.

I would caution you to protect your hearing, however. If you're blasting out the sound of a drumset plus the sound of a powered speaker very often, you will damage your hearing.

Why just not stick with headphones? I assume you want to listen to music to play along with it? Headphones block out excessive drum sounds and protect your hearing. If you are amplifying your drums for home practice, you really risk losing your hearing.

I picked up a Roland VM-10 to use with my TD-3 set. The drum input on it is EQ'd with lots of bass boost.
Just taking the headphone out into the amp made the music from the ipod sound like mud.
If you're using an external source to play along with, you'll need to run that into the amp separately (not through the module).
I've found it's easier to just use headphones because I don't like hearing the sound of the sticks on the pads.

I recently bought a Roland PM-1 off eBay for $80+. Excellent powered monitor. I own three of these beauties, now.

Attachments

• top_M.jpg
    top_M.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 6,654
I have two JBL Eon 15 speakers in my PA that I have been using for four years and I like them a lot. Easy to use, reliable, powerful, terrific sound and a basic mixer is built in. Can't go wrong with those.

I would caution you to protect your hearing, however. If you're blasting out the sound of a drumset plus the sound of a powered speaker very often, you will damage your hearing.

Why just not stick with headphones? I assume you want to listen to music to play along with it? Headphones block out excessive drum sounds and protect your hearing. If you are amplifying your drums for home practice, you really risk losing your hearing.

+1 for DMCs advice here. I just sold my Roland gear, but when I was using it at home I found you can get the feel your looking for by using a seat shaker device such as the "Butt Kicker" http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ButtKicker-Concert-Sonic-Shaker?sku=482251

I have one of these and when you play your E-kit with one it feels like your slamming your kick drum.

Hey.....guy....that's good u r using it recently however i want to know about it's response i.e. how it is work,have u any prob with using it or not as i m also thinking to be buy it. Thanks
A real work horse of a power monitor. I run a Roland SPD-S, a Korg wave drum, and a Mandala thru mine ... as well as more "traditional" Roland and Yamaha e-kit modules ... and a Tama TS305. It will also handle vocals, keyboard, guitar and bass.

I'm surprised you're not looking at the Roland KC series. The KC-350 has a 12" and a horn and absolutely kills in a small environment. The bigger KC-550 has 15" and a horn, and for $499, is the first choice of keyboards players playing live. Great response on both. And if you're only using it for home practice, it doesn't have to be huge, and you can probably run both at 40% and blow the walls out.

Back