New drum, simple head suggestion

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I just picked up an 18x16 floor tom that was converted with legs into a kick drum. It has Pinstripes with lots of foam adhered to the inside on the batter and a clear Ambassador on the resonant.

I feel like switching them out, any recommendations? I will be using this solely as a kick drum going forward for small gigs, like a cafe and such.

You may recommend Remo or Evans, I'm not picky and use both.

I've always like using thicker heads on the BD. I'd recommend a clear Remo Powerstroke 4 on the batter side over an ebony Remo Powerstroke 3 on the reso (preferably w/ a 4" offset hole). Give it a shot and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Mike

This floor tom converstion still has regular triple-flanged hoops on both sides, not your typical wood bass hoops.

Should I be getting batter/resonant heads made for toms or can I get ones made for kick drums? Are the two types manufactured differently or have different thickness of the collars (e.g., is a Powerstroke 4 batter head for a kick made the exact same way for a tom)?

I found my answer from an Evans rep.

OK, final question - on a drum this size, should I still make a port hole on the resonant side? Would that sacrifice too much of the head sound?

Back