For you Vinnie fans...pt. II

Vinnie is one of the masters of our time. With him, Gadd and Weckl, it's a great time to be alive on this planet seeing them in their prime.

The amazing thing about Vinnie is that he is constantly breaking the groove, messing with it, getting busy with it.... without.... breaking it or messing it or getting busy with it.

thats his mastery.

Look in the dictionary under the words smooth,groove and master.There will be a picture of Vinny there.Very few guys have his touch,combined with chops , blazing speed and flawless execution.There's a reason why his name is synonymous with drummer.:)

Steve B

Awwww I thought it was going to be a Vinnie Appice video : (

...he knows when you've been bad or good...(sorry..carry over from another thread)

Awwww I thought it was going to be a Vinnie Appice video : (

Vinnie Appice was popular back in the 80's. I remember seeing his teaching articles in Modern Drummer. I think.

No, there is another Vinnie that we all look up to now.

Yeah, these are fantastic performances. This stuff is really in Vinnie's wheelhouse and he just shines. The blend of groove, creativity, emotion and technique is stunning. There are only a few players who can blend all of those elements like Vinnie does. Like Gadd, Vinnie can completely immerse himself in the emotion of it all without losing the groove or letting it fall apart. Dig the way in the second clip he's rocking back and forth to the beat on his throne.

By the way, as far as I'm concerned, this is a great example of how playing for the music needn't mean just a money beat. What Vinnie is playing is filled with notes, but the music needs exactly the dynamics, color and lift he provides here. All the explorations the musicians are doing here would go nowhere without Vinnie's relentless creativity.

Thanks for posting... was an amazing watch as ever. Love Vinnie's playing. That said.... anyone else notice HOW MUCH the first tune (7/8) sped up? Pretty sure if I did that on a gig I would get a talking to from somebody!!

Thanks for posting... was an amazing watch as ever. Love Vinnie's playing. That said.... anyone else notice HOW MUCH the first tune (7/8) sped up? Pretty sure if I did that on a gig I would get a talking to from somebody!!

Yes I noticed it too but figured as great as he is I was probably just listening wrong.

I just came across this clip this morning. Some amazing guitar work in here plus Vinnie is playing drums. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/zPaydWu_gN8

That stinks!!! The original post links are now private. What a bummer!!!

Last edited:
Back