Yamaha EAD10

The more I've seen about this thing, the more ingenious it seems to be. Essentially it combines a bunch of different things uses into one.

1. Simple drum micing solution. Sure you can individually mic your drums and carry a mixer, and a bunch of mic stands and run cables. Or this and a couple xlr cables and you are done? Yes please for a working drummer.

2. E-drum effects on acoustic drums. So it's like an effects pedal for guitars. If you are in a cover band and want some electonic sounding kits, but you are also one of those types that don't like electronic drums because of their look or feel or size or head response or whatever, here you go. This seems to be the primary function. If I was in a corporate function or wedding band, I'd have already ordered one I think. Also if I did a lot of home recording, this is pretty great. Some musicians out there should be drooling at the sonic possibilities this opens up.

3. linking to video and youtube. I haven't seen a lot on this part yet, but it seems to have a bunch of functions for syncing to a video camera feed and recording, then directly uploading to youtube or whatever. Not my bag, but its what all the kids are doing these days.

4. This is the coolest little thing to me - you can take any mp3 song, and it'll figure out the bpm and put a click on top, but not only that, it extends it out in front of the song to give a count in. For learning new songs, this is really cool. I usually learn new songs with my ipad and edrum kit, but when I hit play, there's a lag, and I have no way to know when it'll actually start, so I usually miss the first bar. THat sucks when it starts with a fill.

That's what I understand to this point, maybe there is more. Certainly for the price of a decent snare drum, having all this function in one small thing should be a no brainer. Seems brilliant to me.

Mike Johnston did a demo of the EAD during one of his gear sessions, comparing it to his studio mics. It was a little thinner sounding overall, but man, a little thinner for saving on price and complexity and gaining all the features? I’ll be all over this at some point. Sure would save me a ton of cost and hassle just trying to record my playing for my own benefit. If it’s a bit thin after the recording, I’ll do the unthinkable and EQ a touch!

I will have one within the next month or so, for all the reasons that are obvious. I think I will combine it with a couple of overheads or room mics

Anyone know if there is a way to send line in audio to the main outs or just the phones? Is it assignable?

I wonder how this will work if you have a tom mounted over the bass drum? I would think the tom would interfere with the mics picking up the rest of the kit.

So there is a free app called Rec'N'Share you can get from the app store. There are a few Youtube videos showing it being used with the EAD10. One video is from Sweetwater and it's a good demo. However they never show you the back of the unit to see what type of cables and where you connect them?

Sweetwater guy Nick said you need a lightning wire to USB connector. It's a bit confusing to me because in the back of the unit there are 2 USB type inputs. A regular USB and then a USB to host connection.

Which connection do I use to connect my I-phone? The USB or USB to Host?

Anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJQ3it9X1w&t=879s

Hi and thanks, I saw that too. However I just connected my iphone to the ead using a straight audio cable and that seemed to work too?

Having bought one of these I finally got to try it out yesterday, and all I can say is it must run on some kind of actual magic because it is incredible.

I just don't understand how the one mic can pick up the whole kit so well. The compression effect works so well. I can't imagine using most of the different sound 'scenes' it contains: mostly I just want to simply record a normal sounding kit, which this does incredibly well. Quick to set-up, easy to use, does everything for you when it comes to making videos... Here's an example on YouTube of what I recorded with it, for those interested, in the sound - this is my first play with it so it can probably be better still than this but I'm really pleased with it. I'll be putting some more clips on my Instagram over the coming days, here's one with a slightly different sort of sound.

Honestly it's cheap for what it is. So good!

I really like mine but I find it loses the far floor tom and some cymbals. I also wish I could pick up some of the front of my kick and blend that in. Is there a way to hook up a mixer with a couple of extra mics to flesh out the difference? Yamaha instructions are incredibly hard to follow ( at least for me)

Hi and thanks, I saw that too. However I just connected my iphone to the ead using a straight audio cable and that seemed to work too?

Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time with this. I can use an audio cable fine but if I plug in my phone with the USB cable it doesn't seem to work. I tried looking up instructions but they don't really clarify it very well. I guess I'll have to buy another specialized cable

I really like mine but I find it loses the far floor tom and some cymbals. I also wish I could pick up some of the front of my kick and blend that in. Is there a way to hook up a mixer with a couple of extra mics to flesh out the difference? Yamaha instructions are incredibly hard to follow ( at least for me)

I had this problem too, my 2nd floor tom isn't as crisp as the others and my crash ride to the far right of my kit doesn't have enough clarity. You can run mics through the device though

I have a 4 channel mixer hooked up to a bass mic and a condenser mic to the right of the kit to pick up the floor tom and cymbal. Then I run the 1/8" headphone audio jack from the mixer to the 1/8" aux-in slot on Ead10. Whatever the extra mics pick up will not have the same effects that you can get from the device though. It's not a problem for me because I only use the regular drum sound setting with a little bit of reverb, but if you want to use any of the crazy sound effects you might run into a few problems

I had this problem too, my 2nd floor tom isn't as crisp as the others and my crash ride to the far right of my kit doesn't have enough clarity. You can run mics through the device though

I have a 4 channel mixer hooked up to a bass mic and a condenser mic to the right of the kit to pick up the floor tom and cymbal. Then I run the 1/8" headphone audio jack from the mixer to the 1/8" aux-in slot on Ead10. Whatever the extra mics pick up will not have the same effects that you can get from the device though. It's not a problem for me because I only use the regular drum sound setting with a little bit of reverb, but if you want to use any of the crazy sound effects you might run into a few problems

Perfect. Not after the effects much except on the kck and snare( compression) anyway

Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time with this. I can use an audio cable fine but if I plug in my phone with the USB cable it doesn't seem to work. I tried looking up instructions but they don't really clarify it very well. I guess I'll have to buy another specialized cable

Yeah it needs to be a Host to USB cable, going into a USB to iphone lightning plug converter. That's what it's intended to be and it works for me.

Here is a picture of one. I got it off Amazon for &18.00

Attachments

• lightning usb.jpg
    lightning usb.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,917
As I'd mainly be interested in the one-mic-live aspect of this, I've been wondering if I could replicate that with a $100 boundary mic mounted somewhere centralish (maybe on a boom mic stand to allow experimentation with positioning) used with a suitable pre-amp and multi-FX unit to add reverb etc. Yet another thing to add to the endless 'must try that sometime' list...

audio-technica-pro-44-cardioid-condenser-boundary-microphone-311946.jpg

Hey everybody! Has anyone figured out how to remove songs from the local songs category that have been copied from Dropbox?

I'm looking a way of recording with my band that won't take me into the studio for days at a time. We're sort of modern post rock/ hardcore so samples aren't an issue.

I'm thinking one of these, but then triggering my snare and toms too might work, then using the cymbal audio from the ead10? Can I plug the module into a DAW and then use the trigger info to run easydrummer or similar?

Back