Plastic brushes

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
On another thread there was talk of plastic brushes.

When I first started with the current band I wasn't sure that I'd be able to use sticks and needed to learn brushes. I thought plastic brushes would give the sound a bit more oomph but went back to wire after one tryout. The sound was awful to my ear.

So I have a fairly expensive pair of plastic brushes at home not being used. Does anyone know of a way of using them that doesn't sound tinny and horrible?

I just brought my first pair of plastic brushes (I was sick of bent wires) The jury's still out on the sound, haven't had many gigs lately and haven't got a chance to evaluate them. I wish the would make a hybrid brush that has plastic with metal tips. Another drum product that could be created and you heard it here first.

Polly,

I use (sometimes) Vater's Monster Brushes.

21Z9KKMd%2BML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Is this what you're talking about or more like a traditional brush but of platic instead of metal?

There are so many types.
DrumsticksVicFirthBrushes.jpg

If it's the latter, then you might be sort of stuck with that tinny sound. They're just too light. The Monster Brushes are cool because they are heavier and if you roll the O-ring rubber band back toward the handle more, you can get a nice heavier brush sound.

Played tight, they give a soft but meaty thump and are pretty decent. They're very thick though so they feel a little awkward.

TT, I bought two pairs:

Flix Rock Brush. I think the other pair are Vic Firth jazz rakes which look a lot like the red brush in your pic.

With the former I suspect they would only be suitable for hitting very hard because they make the most hideous "tak" sound on the snare playing soft. Same with rods in my experience.

With the jazz rake I find the sweeping sound lacks the tasty soothness of wire brushes. I also find the sound tinny when tapping, although they're less harsh than the Rock Brush.

I have a feeling that these "input devices" are capable of better than what I've experienced. After all, some drummer must have given them the thumbs up in the QC process. I musn't be using them correctly, or perhaps neither are suitable for the low volume music my band plays.

It may be a matter of plastic brushes only being suitable when wire brushes aren't loud enough ... ?

Re: traditional brushes, I've had an old Ludwig brushes for years (retractable, rubber handle). I switched to Regal Tip non-retractable because you can use the wooden end for rim-clicks (best sound seems to be on the "A" of "Regal Tip" written on the handle). But it means the wires are more vulnerable.

Larry, yep, bent wires are a pain. I had to snip off some bent wires just the other day after the brushes fell out of their protective tube in my carry bag.

This is why I have multiple stick bags. Different things for different applications. What sounds wrong may sound right somewhere else. They may have been too loud for your band Pol.

Hey I am thinking of going to Bondi Icebergs on Sunday to see a mate play. Great drummer. If I go do you wanna come along?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It seems like you need to whack the drums hard with the flat of the bristles because when you tap with the tips it sounds bleagh.

Who's the band, Wy? What time? I have a serious Monday coming up at work.

Another lesson this week?

I haven't had any satisfying experiences with plastic brushes when trying to play the more traditional horizontal sweeping style of playing. Like the OP said, they've just never sounded as full as a good pair of wire brushes. And FWIW, I play a lot of brushes either live or practicing

I do use Blasticks when appropriate but only when playing vertically. I also find that if I am using the Blasticks, I end up doing a lot of rim shots to get a fuller sound, even on toms.

The only big name jazz player I've seen using plastic brushes was Jimmy Cobb on a cable TV show. He sounded great but it wasn't that intimate of a mix so who knows what the brushes sounded like up close.

Jim

I love the Vater Blue Monsters, but i think its because i have no brush technique what so ever so its a good cheater cause there are so many plastic wires. . .I have only used them on country beat shuffles tho, nothing to crazy. . . I have a pair that i think are similar to your red ones, and im with you, just cant get a good sound out of them. . .

Plastic brushes deliver the appropriate sound for more modern music, especially new age jazz. Use them when you want something extra. Don't discard them. They have their place.

Plastic brushes deliver the appropriate sound for more modern music, especially new age jazz. Use them when you want something extra. Don't discard them. They have their place.

Thx Lengo

Do you use them? If so, when playing quietly, how do you avoid that tinny "tak!" sound they make when I tried them?

All guidance appreciated

Thx Lengo

Do you use them? If so, when playing quietly, how do you avoid that tinny "tak!" sound they make when I tried them?

All guidance appreciated

I like that tak sound some times!

If you have iTunes (and I hope you do), go searching for international music. India (Bollywood) has lots of different percussive sounds, and I suspect that some of the tracks use these plastics to good advantage on a standard kit. Also, look up Dela Dap and the 17 Hippies, and Trilok Gurtu (some really amazing stuff from both of these artists).

I agree. These plastics sound awful for traditional jazz, but for international music and acid jazz (and sometimes Dixieland), they have their place. Experiment with them. Expand your concepts. Use these for some very interesting sounds with more (or very) modern stuff. Different sounds are always welcome!

edit:

Oops! Almost forgot. Try some Scandinavian Pop music that has traditional influences. I think you'll like what you hear!

I like that tak sound some times!

If you have iTunes (and I hope you do), go searching for international music. India (Bollywood) has lots of different percussive sounds, and I suspect that some of the tracks use these plastics to good advantage on a standard kit. Also, look up Dela Dap and the 17 Hippies, and Trilok Gurtu (some really amazing stuff from both of these artists).

I agree. These plastics sound awful for traditional jazz, but for international music and acid jazz (and sometimes Dixieland), they have their place. Experiment with them. Expand your concepts. Use these for some very interesting sounds with more (or very) modern stuff. Different sounds are always welcome!

edit:

Oops! Almost forgot. Try some Scandinavian Pop music that has traditional influences. I think you'll like what you hear!

I see, Lengo. Don't avoid the "tak" ... Embrace The Tak! :)

I was shocked when I first tried it. I kept thinking I must have been missing something because it couldn't possibly sound that bad applied properly. So it turns out that the answer is more about context than execution.

I suspect your response will be useful for others as well.

Yep Wy, I'm on for a hit out this Friday. Since the band is now rehearsing my fill in for my downtime it's the only way I'll get my drumming fix!

I just hid from the heat all Sunday. I went for a walk at about 7pm and by the time I was a few blocks home I was semi delirious, head spinning and finding it hard to breathe. Not sure I would do too well crossing the Simpson Desert ...

I like the REGALTIP Blastick. They have limitations, But they are the best that I have ever used. When Im using wire, I use the Zildjian brushes with the 90 degree bend (or rake) at the edge.

I see, Lengo. Don't avoid the "tak" ... Embrace The Tak! :)

Yes! Embrace the tak! It can be your friend. Tak will build postitive karma! Tak and Tik are the Hindu incarnations of past drummers from all over the world. Become one with them. :)

I just hid from the heat all Sunday. I went for a walk at about 7pm and by the time I was a few blocks home I was semi delirious, head spinning and finding it hard to breathe. Not sure I would do too well crossing the Simpson Desert ...

HEAT? WHAT? Where in this world do you live? It's colder than a well digger's butt in Alaska here! And the rain... the rain.... THE RAIN! IT NEVER CEASES! I think I'll go crazy if I see one more drop. Oops! Arrrrgh!

p.s. If you got palm trees where you live, I'm moving in with you!

p.p.s. If you were semi delirious, head spinning and finding it hard to breathe, you probably needed a beer. :)

Yes! Embrace the tak! It can be your friend. Tak will build postitive karma! Tak and Tik are the Hindu incarnations of past drummers from all over the world. Become one with them. :)

Talk about coincidence. Our band plays a blues shuffle on which I use brushes - all tapped. I'll be unavailable for gigging in December so we're training up a fill in drummer. Lo and behold, he brought out plastic brushes and it added a bit of extra oomph.

HEAT? WHAT? Where in this world do you live? It's colder than a well digger's butt in Alaska here! And the rain... the rain.... THE RAIN! IT NEVER CEASES! I think I'll go crazy if I see one more drop. Oops! Arrrrgh!

p.s. If you got palm trees where you live, I'm moving in with you!

p.p.s. If you were semi delirious, head spinning and finding it hard to breathe, you probably needed a beer. :)

Sydney. It will be 34C today. There are two palm trees in my street but that's unusual. They're a bit tatty because we aren't tropical enough. How anyone could live in Alaska is beyond me. How do you cope with the endless cold and snow? I suffer in Sydney winters where it can get as low as 4C overnight. It's hell! I suspect that if it was 4C in Alaska everyone would go swimming :)

I don't live in Alaska. I live in Oregon, USA. "Oregon" is a native american word that means "Place where it never stops f*ckin' raining!" :)

Back