My Trick Aluminum kit

now way - aluminium - the first drums from the coca cola amatil company! kidding the kit is SICKKKKK!

Actually, I think they got the alloy from ALCOA :)

...Audi's were made from Aluminum too...

Attached is my very first try, a simple snare recording. Seems to sound ok so far.

Information:
Trick RPM 6x14 snare
Mic: Shure sm57, maybe 1" from side of drum.
Evans G-1 coated
Studio ring
Hazy 300
Snare is medium tight.

There is no processing at all. This is the first thing I did. It's something to give you an idea.

Attachments

• snare 192.mp3
    302 KB · Views: 253
That sounds like top quality, even without any processing ! Not sure if I like the idea of a studio ring...its half a moongel for me.

That sounds like top quality, even without any processing ! Not sure if I like the idea of a studio ring...its half a moongel for me.

In the words of Freddy "Boom Boom" Washington...

"I happen to have some moongel...handeee"

There are so many options... a ring is definite overkill, especially when a drum has no spurious overtones to start with. I just wanted to play "safe" the first try.

Right on!! Great looking kit.............great sounding snare. Okay..........now let's hear you go off on the entire package! Can't wait for more!

I think I have the deccabons dialed in.

Heads: pinstripes
Medium tension

Mics: 2x overhead Stirling audio, 1x akg 170 condenser below

...oh yeah. Seems my cloning experiment worked. My second kick drum will be here in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• deccabons.mp3
    386.9 KB · Views: 243
Very cool set, top-notch gear and accessories. I like anything that is not ply. With 11 pieces, it is definitely in the Monster Kit category. I like the little rototom - gives it an eccentric look.

The two rototoms are just a throwback to the days of yore. They provide a compact accent drum, and with thick -2-ply coated heads, they have a lot more body than just the pingy, clear headed sound everyone is used to. I am considering a fiberskyn for the 8" to make it a touch more tribal/earthy sounding.

The two rototoms are just a throwback to the days of yore. They provide a compact accent drum, and with thick -2-ply coated heads, they have a lot more body than just the pingy, clear headed sound everyone is used to. I am considering a fiberskyn for the 8" to make it a touch more tribal/earthy sounding.

A Fiberskyn on a rototom would be trippy, also on a high-tech looking set like yours. Yes, i agree, a thicker hear would give the sound more body, but I think it would also be good to have the "authentic" rototom sound. They have a very focused sound that makes for great accents.

What do your drums weigh? I would think they're much denser than wood, but how thick? Do they scratch easily? I guess you don't need to worry about water damage or corrosion!

Since you are someone else with an exotic set, I'd be honored if you went and checked out my ironwood kit.

Second kick?

Your kits gunna be the next Dave Witte kit...
Siriously, lol. At least, I think he still plays a double bass, sometimes he does sometimes not.

Siriously, that kit is amazing. I'd love to here the whole kit.

A Fiberskyn on a rototom would be trippy, also on a high-tech looking set like yours. Yes, i agree, a thicker hear would give the sound more body, but I think it would also be good to have the "authentic" rototom sound. They have a very focused sound that makes for great accents.

What do your drums weigh? I would think they're much denser than wood, but how thick? Do they scratch easily? I guess you don't need to worry about water damage or corrosion!

Since you are someone else with an exotic set, I'd be honored if you went and checked out my ironwood kit.

I didn't weigh the drums, but they are definately not too heavy. The kick drum, plus box and packing was 43lbs. The thickness, according to Mike Dorfman they are 3mm. They are pretty rugged, I have not tried to scratch them, but they definately aren't as frail as lacquered wood finishes. It's more of an industrial clearcoat than a furniture lacquer.

Second kick?

Your kits gunna be the next Dave Witte kit...
Siriously, lol. At least, I think he still plays a double bass, sometimes he does sometimes not.

Siriously, that kit is amazing. I'd love to here the whole kit.

My two kick Trick kit will be called the "Metal Overloard Limited Edition" (M.O.L.E.) ;)

...don't all TRUE metal players have two kicks??? :D

My two kick Trick kit will be called the "Metal Overloard Limited Edition" (M.O.L.E.) ;)

...don't all TRUE metal players have two kicks??? :D

I would say sooo. And im sure metal overlord is happy you named ur kit after him. :p

I thought of midnight blue (like Stewart Copeland's) but I wanted people to know it's METAL. I also wanted to go conservative, so if I add drums (evil grin) there will be no issues matching color.

Man this kit could be the color of straight dung and i would gladly take it. This is so nice!

There is no processing here. It's basically some flailing to hear the whole kit. Unless I can eq it, I am not sure I am impressed with the audix d6. I don't think it's getting the low end like it should.

I just swapped out my kick head for a remo powerstroke 3, and naturally, the whole time I am recording, the kick and pedals are squirreling around, so it's like hitting a moving target. It's all I had time for today before splitting for work.

I can see the kick sound will need some work. And it will be secured to the pedal better before I do this again.

The sound is cut off abruptly because I yelled an expletive when I saw the big gap between the pedals and the kick.(I KNEW if felt weird playing) I stopped the file before that. ;)

Attachments

• Basic setup.mp3
    448.9 KB · Views: 241
My suggestion is that if you want to stick with the pinstripes, to close mic the toms. If you are going to just use overheads I would suggest trying coated or clear ambassadors.

Wayne

There is no processing here. It's basically some flailing to hear the whole kit. Unless I can eq it, I am not sure I am impressed with the audix d6. I don't think it's getting the low end like it should.

I just swapped out my kick head for a remo powerstroke 3, and naturally, the whole time I am recording, the kick and pedals are squirreling around, so it's like hitting a moving target. It's all I had time for today before splitting for work.

I can see the kick sound will need some work. And it will be secured to the pedal better before I do this again.

The sound is cut off abruptly because I yelled an expletive when I saw the big gap between the pedals and the kick.(I KNEW if felt weird playing) I stopped the file before that. ;)

My suggestion is that if you want to stick with the pinstripes, to close mic the toms. If you are going to just use overheads I would suggest trying coated or clear ambassadors.

Wayne

I will probably try clears of some form. I have some aquarian response 2's which I may swap out. Also, before going to work, I put a clear emperor on the 6" roto tom. I am going back to a clear on the 8" rototom as well.

The only thing that worries me about clear ambs, is the lack of depth compared to 2-ply, unless the overheads will hear it.

The toms sound a bit more open than the mic's would suggest.

I will probably try clears of some form. I have some aquarian response 2's which I may swap out. Also, before going to work, I put a clear emperor on the 6" roto tom. I am going back to a clear on the 8" rototom as well.

The only thing that worries me about clear ambs, is the lack of depth compared to 2-ply, unless the overheads will hear it.

The toms sound a bit more open than the mic's would suggest.

Yes that agrees with my experience. Mics pick up the drums differently than your ears do.
Close micing the pinstripes will bring back the openness and body. Overhead micing the single ply heads will make them sound darker.

Wayne

Back