Thoughts on Joey Jordison

The music that gets airplay may not make it obvious, but Lady Gaga is very f***ing talented and needs to not be included in the "here's a bunch of names of people who suck" lists.
/tangent

The music that gets airplay may not make it obvious, but Lady Gaga is very f***ing talented and needs to not be included in the "here's a bunch of names of people who suck" lists.
/tangent

links plz

I believe you, I can see people think that one of my favorite bands, Metric, is terrible for the music they have on the radio, but I know if I go on youtube and search for Lady Gaga songs all I'm going to find the shitty ones.

Lady Gaga, or Stefani Germanotta, knows exactly what she is doing. She has been singing a long time (there are videos of her out there in a Zeppelin cover band and in another pop duo before she adopted her most well-known moniker), and is enjoying her time in the spotlight and building her brand (quite successfully). Joey Jordison, same deal. It doesn't matter what we think, he's Joey Jordison, and that brand is working pretty well for him. Another good example is Psy (Gangnam guy). He is Berklee educated, but they would never advertise that. These are people who understand their target market and have the resources and ability to successfully appeal and sell to that market. No hate from me.

Now, if we're talking strictly in terms of what I regard as good music or difficult music, or what have you, then that's a different story. But nobody stays famous by accident.

Lady Gaga, or Stefani Germanotta, knows exactly what she is doing. She has been singing a long time (there are videos of her out there in a Zeppelin cover band and in another pop duo before she adopted her most well-known moniker), and is enjoying her time in the spotlight and building her brand (quite successfully). Joey Jordison, same deal. It doesn't matter what we think, he's Joey Jordison, and that brand is working pretty well for him. Another good example is Psy (Gangnam guy). He is Berklee educated, but they would never advertise that. These are people who understand their target market and have the resources and ability to successfully appeal and sell to that market. No hate from me.

Now, if we're talking strictly in terms of what I regard as good music or difficult music, or what have you, then that's a different story. But nobody stays famous by accident.

Thank you for this post. Really, thank you.

links plz

I believe you, I can see people think that one of my favorite bands, Metric, is terrible for the music they have on the radio, but I know if I go on youtube and search for Lady Gaga songs all I'm going to find the shitty ones.

Heh, fair enough. Here's a performance I dig, although it's not because it's just a good song, rather an opportunity to see her play and sing. The truth is that she doesn't really reveal this on any of the music on her albums. http://youtu.be/pYb1iiz5Y1w

you guys are right.

Slipknot, Justin Bieber, Blood on the Dancefloor, Lady Gaga, and Nicka Minaj are all respectable musicians because they are successful at selling music and playing concerts.

While I won't argue with you about the success of these, I would not say they are respectable in the public eye. Yes people buy their stuff, but the majority of people would still have negative opinions of them.

While I won't argue with you about the success of these, I would not say they are respectable in the public eye. Yes people buy their stuff, but the majority of people would still have negative opinions of them.

There is no band/group; even The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, The Who, Elvis, CCR, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Van Halen, ABBA, The Carpenters etc who have the 'majority' of public opinion going for them.

Joey Jordison?

Easy target; I remember people saying exactly the same thing about Neil Peart, Carl Palmer, Alan White, Mike Portnoy, Danny Carey...

BTW, yes I listen to some Slipknot and think it's OK. I also know there is much of what Joey plays that I can do on any afternoon when practising. BUT: How often is the line 'play for the song' bandied around? And lets be honest, does he do that?

I never spend my days thinking about what Joey Jordison (or __blank__) does, doesn't do, can do, or can't do.

I spend them thinking about what I do and what I can do.

This has worked flawlessly for me for the last 26 years of drumming.

No doubt Joey has never worried about me, either, so I reckon it's all fair.

I would say Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are very far from having a "natural talent".

Wrong Bri, they are both very naturally talented. They would have more natural talent than most on this forum. An unknown JB at age 12 came second in a vocals talent contest that was open to up to 18yo - without any coaching or lessons.

Is there any reason why you'd believe yourself to be more talented than him? Check out some documentaries ...

I don't discriminate in music taste. Personally I don't think there really is bad music. No matter how terrible the song may be to people you know, somewhere out there, I'm sure at least 1 person likes it. As far as Justin Bieber, I hear a lot of bad rap on the kid - and yet he's got a new hit every other day it seems, and yet everyone hates him? Somebody has to be lying. His stuff wouldn't be played if nobody listened.

As far as Lady Gaga, I will shamelessly admit that I enjoy a lot of her music. I don't exactly have every album she's released, or wear her t-shirts, but the woman can sing, dance, and she's a looker, too. Nicki Minja is pretty much the embodiment of everything I dislike about music, but I can't really call it bad music because the millions of people who love her can't be deaf or complete morons... Or can they?

Last edited:
Wrong Bri, they are both very naturally talented. They would have more natural talent than most on this forum. An unknown JB at age 12 came second in a vocals talent contest that was open to up to 18yo - without any coaching or lessons.

Is there any reason why you'd believe yourself to be more talented than him? Check out some documentaries ...

http://youtu.be/OCIERHR61oM?t=17s

by watching this I can say his drummer is as good as Joey Jordison actually. In recent years.

However I don't consider anyone that has to lyp sync and auto-tune every song to be naturally talented.

not only that but he lyp synchs on programs about natural talent....

http://youtu.be/Ew9FGOnRP4M?t=2m22s

http://youtu.be/xPcA83blorg

I know I know I know, his original youtube videos WERE SO AMAZING

Except that those videos were marketed, filmed and designed at the base to make him famous, sure he could sing those videos(or bang on his guitar with his hands), I also suck at guitar but I can record a perfect track if I try 10,000 times.

I'd say simple people need simple music for their simple ears and simple minds. So, these people fill that need.

The vast majority of the population on this planet are not all that intelligent.

I'd say simple people need simple music for their simple ears and simple minds. So, these people fill that need.
Um, I'm one of those simple people ... I've been on a Cure bender lately and there's nothing going on there that could be considered complicated. Sure, the execution is flawless and the soundscapes are lush and dark ... but complicated? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like drumming that bends my mind as much as the next drum nerd (I can stomach a helluva lotta Weckl elevator music), but usually music by players for players is not terribly inspiring to me on some basic level. I actually kinda like basic and simple. One could easily construct an argument that talent transcends technical capability. Just depends on how you define talent.

Anyway, Joey ... pretty good drummer from the YT vids I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but definitely not terrible.

So you made me go watch a Slipknot video on youtube. That is a few minutes I will never get back - LOL. I could not possibly listen to even one of their songs without getting a headache. What a bizarre stage show and costumes. Complete with the lead singer cursing constantly. It's such foreign music to me I couldn't possibly judge the drummer's skills.

I think many people miss the point. It's not that he's a big deal because he's god's gift to drumming, he's a big deal because he plays well enough in a band a lot of people like.

Sure, we all know Vinnie Colaiuta is more talented, but that takes nothing away from the millions who think Charlie Watts is a great drummer too. Or the hundreds of other drummer many of us admire who also don't play quite as well as Vinnie Colaiuta. I mean, were we all supposed to say "well, Buddy was best, no one else is worth listening to" ? Of course not.

I love Neil Peart. Not because I think he's the worlds great drummer, he just happens to be a great drummer in on my favorite bands.

Slipknot isn't my thing. I once got one of their albums to see what the big deal was about, and I determined had no interest in becoming a fan. But Joey is certainly talented enough. He also plays guitar, and co-writes much of their material, and well as playing guitar in a side band.

So I suspect many Joey fans are not just fans because they think he's a good drummer, or because he just happens to be in a band they like, but because he helps write the songs that have made it their favorite band.

I'm a slipknot fan, and to me Joey gets the job done. Most of the stuff slipknot plays live is up to speed or faster, and Joey is able to accomplish that while putting on a great show. The guy is a better performer than anything else really, and for a touring musician that's key. Now, granted straight 16th double bass and toms are easy, try windmillng or head banging at those speeds while still playing clean.
I think Joey is just right for slipknot, and I think he's a solid drummer with great performing skills. By no means the best or fastest or most showy, but he definitely has his own unique style which is just right for what he does.

I've never been that interested in anything I have heard him play...and have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick.

...in the end, it is my loss to not enjoy a musicians attempt at entertainment...but I find it far worse to dumb down my opinions so I can have a marketable illusion of 'loving everything'...something often done and just as unfortunate as using makeup to market music/musicians.

Back