Ludwig Silver Glass Glitter

boomerbrown

Who here has seen the new Ludwig Silver Glass Glitter? I know Bun has a Legacy kit in that wrap.

In the pictures I've seen online the wrap looks to be 'whiter' than the traditional Silver Sparkle. Can someone give me a good description of it?

I'm hoping that the actual color is whiter and similar to DW's Broken Glass or Tama's Diamond Dust wraps. These colors are very similar to my first kit that I had back in the late '60s (shown in my avatar) and I've always loved that color.

I'm on the verge of ordering a new kit and I'm stuck between the new Pewter Glass Glitter, Sky Blue Pearl or White Marine Pearl. If the new Silver Glass Glitter is what I thinks it is, then it's the hands down winner.

Have had it for a few years:

ludleg4.jpg

It's chunkier looking than traditional sparkles, sort of between a sparkle and crushed glass. The color isn't as silver as silver sparkle, it's got a slightly ginger aled look under some lights, although looks very silvery under others.

It's a classy finish, if you like sparkles. I guess I do... I have 7 kits in that wrap!

Bermuda

The way the color is showing in that picture is BEAUTIFUL and about as close to what I'm looking for as you can get. I've never been a big fan of Silver SPARKLE, but that's a beautiful bunch of batterie right there.

Last edited:
I've admired the Silver Glass Glitter since I first saw Bermuda's pic a couple years ago. For me, the blonde hoops are essential. They just complete the look. If they're not standard, I'd ask for them. When I was choosing a finish for my Classic Maples a couple years ago, it was down to Champagne Sparkle and White Marine Pearl (I ended up getting WMP). The blonde hoops on the Champagne Sparkle are equally stunning, IMO.

These are drums I got in 1969 (I still have them). From what I can tell from internet photos and Bermuda's photos, the colors may be fairly close.

Attachments

• 500046271111.jpg
    500046271111.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,543
  • 720636271111.jpg
    720636271111.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,403
Last edited:
I bought a set 2 years ago. They are killer looking under lights. I took them to an audition for a band and we were in this room that had nice track lighting and the guitarist said to me "those are beautiful drums...are they gold glitter?" I agree with Bermuda, they have a light color to them like ginger ale or a lite Chardonnay wine. They definitely don't look like traditional Ludwig Silver Sparkle. When I saw them in the shop where I bought them they were also under some bright lights and I even had to ask the guys at the shop what "color" wrap is that supposed to be? They had a set of Black galaxy and the Silver GG and the silver blew the black galaxy away. They aren't real "silver" in the traditional sense. Again, pictures don't do the finish justice. In person they look way cool!!

I did a big Ludwig order for Silver Glass Glitter, back in 2009...here's a few pics.

I no longer own any of these drums...too many QC issues that completely discouraged me, in the end. I play Ludwig now and have moved past all that, so it's water under the bridge. However, I thought the wrap was WAY too thick and...call me crazy...but it had an effect on the sound of the drums. They also wrapped way too close to the edges, forcing me to seat heads over both the edges -and- the wrap, making them very hard to tune.

I'm sure they've fixed that issue by now...but it spoiled the drums for me. I loved how they looked though...just beautiful!

Attachments

• DSC03892.jpg
    DSC03892.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 4,410
  • DSC03895.jpg
    DSC03895.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 4,795
  • DSC03899.jpg
    DSC03899.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 7,208
Zambizzi,
Thanks for posting these pictures. Beautiful drums; too bad about the issues. Are these Classic Maples or Legacies? Also, are those mini-classic lugs all around or do you have the classic lugs on the larger drums?

I'll be checking out my friend's Legacies this weekend for a test drive. He has the Red GG, so the wrap issues should be similar to your experience or fixed by now. I know he's really happy with his kit. I was all set to order the Classic Maples earlier this week and he told me to hold up until I played his Legacies. I told him that if I do decide to go with the Legacies he'll have to pay the difference because it will be all his fault!

Here's a better picture of my '69 drum. I can see now that the Silver GG doesn't match exactly, but evenso, I'm really beginning to like it.

Attachments

• BT Tom.jpg
    BT Tom.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 3,546
Last edited:
Zambizzi,
Thanks for posting these pictures. Beautiful drums; too bad about the issues. Are these Classic Maples or Legacies? Also, are those mini-classic lugs all around or do you have the classic lugs on the larger drums?

Classic Maple...you can tell by the photos alone, since the Legacy badge is much smaller, like the old school Ludwig keystone badge.

I'll be checking out my friend's Legacies this weekend for a test drive. He has the Red GG, so the wrap issues should be similar to your experience or fixed by now. I know he's really happy with his kit. I was all set to order the Classic Maples earlier this week and he told me to hold up until I played his Legacies. I told him that if I do decide to go with the Legacies he'll have to pay the difference because it will be all his fault!

Here's a better picture of my '69 drum. I can see now that the Silver GG doesn't match exactly, but evenso, I'm really beginning to like it.

I don't care for re-rings, personally...I think they dry the drums out too much and detract from the overall tone. I've never played Legacy though, and I haven't heard anything BUT rave reviews...so they might be the exception for me, even. I can't wait until I can get my hands on some to compare.

Haha! It's only fair that he pay the difference after that kind of temptation! SWEET looking drum you have there.

I just ordered a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit. I went back and forth on the CMs and the Legacies and felt like the CMs probably suit the style of music I play more than the Legacies would (plus, they're a whole lot cheaper!).

Here's what I settled on:
Silver Glass Glitter with Classic lugs and Keystone badges.
9 x 12 rack tom (no Vibraband)
14 x 14 and 16 x 16 floor toms
14 x 22 bass with single tom mount and Elite spurs
6.5 x 14 snare with Millenium strainer and tube lugs

I've bought several new kits in my lifetime, but they were always showroom floor purchases. This is the first kit I've ever ordered exactly to my liking. Eight weeks is going to be a loooong time.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in on this post.

That looks suspiciously close to what Ludwig had in the 60's called "Champagne Sparkle."

That looks suspiciously close to what Ludwig had in the 60's called "Champagne Sparkle."

In actuality it's far from Champagne Sparkle. It's a very white and silver sparkle and you can get a pretty accyrate example of it in my avatar; yes, that's me back in 1970. I had a set of '65 Luddies in Champagne and the two colors are very different.

Last edited:
I received my new Ludwig CMs over the weekend and the color was exactly what I hoped it would be. It matched my original kit from 1969 perfectly. You can see the bass drum from my first kit in the background of the blurry cell phone picture below. I'll post better pictures and a review once I get everything dialed in.

Bermuda and Zambizzi; thanks for posting pictures of the color, The pictures really helped me decide.

Attachments

• 179972_4239399190168_947224056_n.jpg
    179972_4239399190168_947224056_n.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 4,903
I received my new Ludwig CMs over the weekend and the color was exactly what I hoped it would be. It matched my original kit from 1969 perfectly. You can see the bass drum from my first kit in the background of the blurry cell phone picture below. I'll post better pictures and a review once I get everything dialed in.

Bermuda and Zambizzi; thanks for posting pictures of the color, The pictures really helped me decide.

a modern day Joe Morello

beautiful kit my man .....just gorgeous

class

Joe Morello? I could only dream of being so talented and proficient.

Thanks for the compliment on the kit.

hahahaha....

just meant the kit looks like a modern day version of what Joe Played in the early 60s

Back