Electronic kit to replace my Truth.

Lancaster

Hello!

I've had a Truth drum kit for a few years now, I'm having to sell it for I have moved in to university halls.
Basically my Truths are too loud and I need an electronic kit.

I don't know anything about electronic kits so I need some help!

I'm looking for decent electronic drums that I can replicate the sound and set up of my Truth kit. I've got about £1,000 (~$1,500) to spend on a kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Kit (Excluding Symbols)

Snare - 14x6 1/2
Kick Drum - 22x20
Rack Tom - 12x7
Floor Tom - 16x14

Last edited:
From a Yamaha perspective,

You could get a DTX535K kit. That gives you are really nice snare, ride and hihat. Some web stores have bundles that could give you extra pads, amps, etc. In Europe though, not sure what the equivalent kit number is over there.

For a few hundred more, you could go a DTX560K kit which gives you silicone pads all the way around. They are quieter, so it may give some additional relief to your university peers. They are still going to hear you tap tap away either way.

From a pad size perspective though ... for Yamaha you are looking at 12, 10, 8, and 7 inch pads depending on the kit, or what you may get on your own after the fact.

Sometimes though location can go a long way. If you have a Roland dealer just down the block, it may make more sense to go Roland just from a pure convenience/local perspective.

I have a Roland TD-4KX2 and love it. For you, I would look for a Roland TD-4 or higher with all mesh heads. Look used first, you can most likely get a good deal.

You should read this and other forums, read online product reviews, but most importantly, go to a music store and try out Yamaha and Roland and anything else they have. You will probably prefer one or the other.

The smaller makes such as that German one you mention are worth considering, but I would personally say don't waste money on replicating the appearance of an acoustic kit. It's all a waste of space and still does not look like an acoustic kit anyway. Fake shells are just that. In my opinion they are like putting a plastic toy engine on a bicycle.

Also, if you have a tiny room at college, Google into compact one-piece kits that you can practice on while you have the acoustics in storage.

Hey thanks!

I was very interested in Roland kits, which have you got?

Also I was recommended this kit.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_transformer_bundle.htm

I'm not quite sure what to make of it! aha!

Personally, I went with Yamaha. See my signature for specifics. All of us have our reasons and priorities. In short for me, it was the feel of the TCS pads and the level of noise.

It works out too that I have a Yamaha service center 30 minutes away if I need warranty work.

To be honest ... I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha or Roland. Both continue to innovate their pads and modules.

To be honest ... I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha or Roland. Both continue to innovate their pads and modules.

Agree!..both brands make decent e-kits..personally though for me, after having owned and played both, I prefer the yamaha sounds just a little more...

....Also, if you have a tiny room at college, Google into compact one-piece kits that you can practice on while you have the acoustics in storage.

I agree. For what he needs, something like this (Yamaha DTX-M12) would be ideal:

11025_12075_1.jpg

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi..._lineup#tab=product_lineup#tab=product_lineup

Back