LP Splash-Claw

Has anyone ever used a LP Splash-Claw? I plan to attach it to my 16in floor tom, and I'm worried that playing the floor tom and whatever cymbal I put on the LP claw will cause the claw mount to loosen and fall off due to vibrations. P.S. I'll probably mount a 7in Alu Bell or some sort of bell to it.

Thanks!

While they may work well on congas, I really wonder if the low frequencies of a FT would loosen them up...

Why not get a grabber clamp from gibraltar and mount it anywhere in the vicinity rather than mounting it off the FT?

While they may work well on congas, I really wonder if the low frequencies of a FT would loosen them up...

Why not get a grabber clamp from gibraltar and mount it anywhere in the vicinity rather than mounting it off the FT?

Valid point about the low frequencies. On other other hand, a conga has quite a bit more force entering to it, since the energy and weight from the arms and hands is going directly into the drum. A drum stick flexes in the hands, absorbing some of the energy. The Claw has fairly fine threads and that increases resistance to loosening.

However, I do agree it would be better to mount it elsewhere. I generally don't like mounting things directly to triple flange drum hoops.

Valid point about the low frequencies. On other other hand, a conga has quite a bit more force entering to it, since the energy and weight from the arms and hands is going directly into the drum. A drum stick flexes in the hands, absorbing some of the energy. The Claw has fairly fine threads and that increases resistance to loosening.

However, I do agree it would be better to mount it elsewhere. I generally don't like mounting things directly to triple flange drum hoops.

I have a mic Claw on my snare drums and I never have to tighten - it's solid and a very well made piece of gear. I beat the bejezus out of my snare drums too (die cast hoops) and the Claw is golden. I wouldn't worry about vibration working it loose, but maybe instead, damage to a triple flange hoop (esp if it's less than a 2.3mm).

The only other thing I can think of is sympathetic vibrations from either the drum or the splash? I don't have any issue with the mic in my application, but you might notice it with the splash and tom (or even a conga for that matter).

Bottom line - LP Claw = solid piece of gear.

Thanks for all the input!

I've been using the pearl clamp and it slides and falls down too much. Plus, I'm trying to make a really clean looking set. Its a 4 piece with hats, crash, a 7in Alu bell, and I'm thinking of adding the other two bells. The splash claw would look clean and let me put them where I want them.

The drum mic clamps I have (that came with my set of Audix mics) stay attached good, but they have a different design.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to just give the lp claw a shot.

Back