Tru Tuner New Tuner/Head Replacement Device

No doubt that is very fast and pretty uniform. I was surprised (although I shouldn't have been) how close the tension was at each rod. You could even hear it when you pulled the DD off each time. Some tweaking and you'd be good to go.

Now how much?

I use an electric screwdriver to take off the tuning rods and to put them in to the point of starting to wrinkle the head. I still do the 2 keys at a time tuning slowly up and that would still take way longer than your device. Pretty cool.

Pretty cool idea. I always wanted to be able to tighten all the lugs at once. I don't know how well this thing will sell, but it seems to do a good job at getting an evenly seated head quickly. FWIW, you had to show the entire process, boring or not. I'm glad you did. The metal things should be permanently connected to the clear thing, able to spin of course. I realize the issues relating to that, but it would be an improvement. You would just need one for each drum. I'd lose those metal things, they need to be lose-proof.

Thanks for veiwing and the feedback!

@Boom I am currently figuring out the the most cost effective sourcing. At the time, it is looking to cost around $75. We are hoping to get this down a little more with our search now and with high volume orders from the manufacturing source over time. The $75 would include; the disc with folding handle, 10 keys and a zipping bag with clips to minimize risk of key loss.

@ Kettles I agree that the video was not that exciting and wanted to do some editing, but the main reason I did not is because I wanted to show the whole process in one conitinuous video to eliminate the chance of users thinking that it was tampered with to get these results.
If you want to tune the drums up or down: you can place the disc back on without removing the keys and rotate in the desired direction in order to adjust the tune.
I did not hit the drum this time because in my last video I put out, people requested me to prove even tension.

@Larryace That is a good thought and is something I wanted to achieve with this product, but after many hours of debating and testing with them attached it actually made the process difficult/confusing with them attached, compared to this way. We are including a zipping bag with a clip to help prevent losing the keys.
Having one for each drum size and pattern would be nice but when considered, it would cost way to much to the consumer.

Interesting product.
The only thing that I noticed that would be a bit tricky is that when you first put the lug wrenches on the tension rods you will have to turn each rod to the correct clock position to fit the removal template.
I also see a risk of cross threading a rod into a lug when reinstalling.

What size heads will it do. 13, 14, how about the toms. Maybe some dialog to go along with the video. I also use an electric screwdriver to get them loose and tight to a point. I am also not as fussy with my snares as I am my toms. How about for 75.00, I get enough discs to cover 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 toms. Also my Gretsch toms have only 5 lugs. will this take care of this down the road.?/ Thanks

I have watched the video again and can see other holes for different drum sizes I assume. Also I would like to see the product called a Speed-Tuner rather than Tru-Tuner since it will still take some tweaking to get the tuning true.

@bobdadruma You are correct. You do need to position all of the keys in the same direction in order for the to line up correct. Also there is a risk of cross threading if you are not careful. There are two important steps to prevent this 1) is to make sure each lug is properly seated into the fitting and 2) is to reverse the disk a 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter clockwise before rotating clockwise to tighten the head. (you see this step aroun :59-1:08 seconds in the video.

@Gruntersdad I will be sure to make the next video with dialogue or add it to this one in order to explain all of the steps. This model is designed for tuning 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" and 16" inch heads in all current possible lug patterns at each size. Are there any other size drums you would like to see on the final product? We are considering the in between sizes for this range 9", 11" and 15". What size toms do you have that are 5 lug?

Its cool, if you care about even tension.

There are 5 lug 8's 10's12's and 13's but 5 lugs are so easy to tune don't know if it'd be worth it.

Good for drum shops that work on, or assemble a lot of drums.

@bobdadruma You are correct. You do need to position all of the keys in the same direction in order for the to line up correct. Also there is a risk of cross threading if you are not careful. There are two important steps to prevent this 1) is to make sure each lug is properly seated into the fitting and 2) is to reverse the disk a 1/4 to 1/2 turn counter clockwise before rotating clockwise to tighten the head. (you see this step aroun :59-1:08 seconds in the video.

@Gruntersdad I will be sure to make the next video with dialogue or add it to this one in order to explain all of the steps. This model is designed for tuning 8", 10", 12", 13", 14" and 16" inch heads in all current possible lug patterns at each size. Are there any other size drums you would like to see on the final product? We are considering the in between sizes for this range 9", 11" and 15". What size toms do you have that are 5 lug?

Gretsch Renowns have 5 lugs on the 8, 10, and 12 inch toms.

I like it. Although yes we tune to sounds, having even tension around allows, for me at least, to get a much clearer sound and defined note if that makes sense. And once you know what tension you want its easier to get that sound again when replacing heads. So in conclusion, seems cool i'll be keeping my eye on it.

The five lug deal could be a set back unless they put a disclaimer on the package saying "not for Gretsch drums with 5 lugs".

I'm a little puzzled, again. How are you able to get consistent overall tuning when replacing a typical head on the drum. It looks as if it's all muscle and guts without a way to come away with the same pitch as the previous head he just took off the drum. The heads maybe in tune with themselves, to a degree, but at what pitch? Maybe I'm missing something here. I'll take another look. I'm also a bit skeptical at all the alignment procedures that have to take place before all the fun begins.

I have to admit, I've never seen a contraption even similar to this.

Dennis

Interesting concept, indeed.

However, this looks like it can be quite rough on hardware. With enough usage I could see someone loosening the mounting points on their lugs quite easily(possibly ruining too)..

Haha I don't get all these 'tuning devices' honestly. What happened to a set of ears and good ole' elbow grease?

Just proves what I have been preaching for years that if your careful to turn all your lugs equal amounts you will be just as close if not closer than using a drum dial plus much faster and will also be a lot closer than using a torque key but your still going to have to tap test each lug to fine tune to the same pitch, but will certainly save even more time.

Would only have to drill a different set of holes for 5 lug drums or do a custom order and drill it to fit the customers particular sizes and I dont see how it would be any harder on hardware than regular tuning with a key, it actually might be better for the head, hoop and bearing edge to have all lugs tightened the same amount at the same time instead of only 1 or 2 lugs at a time getting a half turn each.

Last edited:
The concept is cool, but

1) Anyone who has ever used a drum dial knows a common problem is just because the tension is even, it doesn't mean the head is perectly even and in tune, and usually a drum still takes some tweaking. This does not eliminate this step.

2) Anyone who has ever used a drum dial knows there can often be that on lug that sits at a much higher/lower tension than all others because of inconsistentcies in the heads.

3) Lugs can be inconsistent due to dirt, rust, lube, or whatever, so having the same # of turns of a key doesn't always mean each lug is even with the rest; i.e. the same reason torque wretches have never been popular sellers.

4) And so like the drum dial, torque wrentches, and other "tunning" devices, this only gets a drum in where it sould be in tune in theory, but theoritically in tune and actually in tune are not always the same thing.

However, the biggest hurdle that kills this is $75.

A drum dial is $59 and effectively does the same thing, in letting you get an even tension around the drum. Granted, your device sameves some time, but it's not a competitive price point compared to a drum dial.

A torque wretch, while not popular, sell for $15-$29.

The Tune-bot debuted at NAMM, and measures actually tuning, and not theorical tunning, for only $14 more dollars at a $99 street price. Granted, not everyone buys into the Tune-bot being a viable item, still, it's a competitor in the market place claiming to do more than your product for not a whole heck of a lot more $.

You product won't work on Sonor drums, may not work on Gretch, which granted only elimantes a small part of the market, but that is not a problem other devices have.

If this could sell for around $20-$25 street price in a retail store, I think you could sell a decent amount of units. But at $75, it is not price competitive with other products that acomplish similar results.

A very analogue invention.
IMHO this product is the better choice and will kill anything else when it comes to drum tuning. There will be many copies of this tuner on the market in the coming years.

www.tune-bot.com

Last edited:
Back