My kits; acoustic and electric

Poco Askew

Front side:

IMGP2645.jpg

Fun side:

IMGP2647.jpg

This kit is a Mapex Pro M, maple in Redwood Fade, 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22"x20", 14"x5.5" virgin bass, 'A' Customs, several additions and changes since this was taken. PS Eliminator and Yami Flying Dragon pedals. LP Persussion goodies.

DIY E-kit

DIY44.jpg

This is a home-brew kit and I use it most (for practice). Powered by a Roland TD-20 with TDW-20, VEX expansions and ToonTrack EZ/Superior VSTs. Gibraltar rack, converted bronze cymbals, DIY triggers and hi hat controller. Many additions here too (china and other cymbals, cowbell, etc.) I love this kit; FUN!

Last edited:
I like that acoustic kit a lot. Great setup and finish.

Wow there sure seems to be alot of DIY electronic kits popping up today. I love it!!

what did you do in terms of head/shells for the toms and snare?

Your Mapex kit looks inspired by Gavin Harrison's set up! Is there any reason as to why your 8" tom is lower that the 10" and 12"?

-Jonathan

I really like the acoustic set up. it's really beautiful. The finish is amazing. Your rack tom setup looks a little awkward to me butt if it works for you, then that's fine.

I really like the acoustic set up. it's really beautiful. The finish is amazing. Your rack tom setup looks a little awkward to me butt if it works for you, then that's fine.
Thanks all!
The entire kit was moved just to take a picture. The light in my drum room sux and there isn't enough room with all the junk to get a good shot.

Wow there sure seems to be alot of DIY electronic kits popping up today. I love it!!

what did you do in terms of head/shells for the toms and snare?
Your Mapex kit looks inspired by Gavin Harrison's set up! Is there any reason as to why your 8" tom is lower that the 10" and 12"?

-Jonathan

I started with Hart Magnum heads. Didn't care for them. Now I use Roland heads all around. The shells were cut from the cheapest Sound Percussion kit I could find. Like wise the cymbals. I am triggering Planet 'Z's (the only way to make them sound good)
As to the toms - see my reply above. None of the pieces are in their exact correct position. It was just to stage a quick couple of pictures.

Back