drum sticks - the round ball tip type?

Nick G.

ive been playing with some zildjian dip sticks for a while now and really like the sound
the only problem is, i hate the grip bit on them
it gives me blisters

there 7a size

has anyone got any suggestions for another pair of sticks like this
but without the grip??

i was thinking the AS7A from vic firth, but i havent really played any from regal tip or pro mark
(other stick manufacturers?)

ive been playing with some zildjian dip sticks for a while now and really like the sound
the only problem is, i hate the grip bit on them
it gives me blisters

there 7a size

has anyone got any suggestions for another pair of sticks like this
but without the grip??

i was thinking the AS7A from vic firth, but i havent really played any from regal tip or pro mark
(other stick manufacturers?)

i've been playing VF 7a's and VF steve jordan's. jordan's are a little longer and just a tad thicker. i prefer the jordan's, lately.

why not just buy the same stick from Zildjian without the dip???

i use this type of stick and find it best too, i use the zildjian 7a ones that you mentioned i use pairs both with and without the dip coating, the ones without the dip coating are exactly the same measurements, have the same feel but dont hurt your hands as much when they rub whilst playing. Plus theyre cheaper.

In the UK we also have a brand called '3drumsticks' i don't know if these sticks are available elsewhere, but you get 3 sticks in a pack (one as a spare) and they also make the 7a stick with the round wood ball tip.

I've seen vic firth ones which have the same tip and are 7as, but only occasionaly. and none of the sticks I've tried have felt as good as the zildjians, or anywhere near so I've stuck with the zildjian ones, but i guess you could try ones from different manufacturers with the same tip to see which you prefer.

-hope this helps.

why not just buy the same stick from Zildjian without the dip???

I imagine that the dip puts a little more weight on the butt end, so playing with the same model, but undipped, won't feel the same. Find out what's important to you (diameter, length, weight distribution, tip shape, type of wood, taper, etc...) and go stick hunting!

Just wondering...why the round ball tip? I like acorn tips, personally, 'cause I can make them sound like a ball tip, a barrel tip, or a teardrop tip. It's all about how much of the tip makes contact with what you're playing...

I like the Pro-Mark Michael Carvin model but it's sort of in the middle of 5A and 7A in diameter. It has a small ball tip.

Also the Regal Tips have that clear coating on them that gives you a little better grip when it gets warmed up. You might like that.

Yep, +1 on the Manhattan's. Vater Fusion also have a ball tip...these are closer in diameter to a 5A tho.

I have put dip on my own sticks as has been documented here previously and found no balance issues with or with out it on the same type sticks. The amount of dip is minimal. I also have Vater Fusion with a ball tip and love them. Got them at MF for about 7.00 a pair.

I use and like the round tip 7a Zild dips. I also use the round tips without dip.
I do notice a slight balance difference. It is nothing that I can't adjust to with no playing affects.
I usually use the dip sticks when the weather is hot and the humidity is high.
I have also had the problem with sore calluses on my fingers if I use the dips to much.
The dip wears out quickly. I peel the worn dip off and I then have a regular stick.

I use and like the round tip 7a Zild dips. I also use the round tips without dip.
I do notice a slight balance difference. It is nothing that I can't adjust to with no playing affects.
I usually use the dip sticks when the weather is hot and the humidity is high.
I have also had the problem with sore calluses on my fingers if I use the dips to much.
The dip wears out quickly. I peel the worn dip off and I then have a regular stick.

huh^ just found this thread after i forgot about it fror a while :D

i went with the 7a zildjian ball tips without the dip and love them

i love there balance and feel :)

thanks guys for all your help

Back