Bargain sticks=no bargain at all?

foochcky

As some of you know I've only been drumming for 2 weeks now, but I had to post this. Tell me if I'm over thinking this.

When I bought my first kit at Guitar Center 2 weeks ago the last thing I added to the bill (almost forgetting them) was sticks. I used the logic "If I don't even know how to play, why buy the more expensive sticks?" So I grabbed a pair of GC's brand....sound percussion for $4, and just started playing.

Mine didn't crack or anything like that, but just didn't feel great in my hand. So I went to my local shop last Saturday and grabbed a pair of Vic Firth "American Classic - Rock" for $8. Not only do they feel different in my hand, but they make it easier to play and they even make everything sound better! Is that crazy! I may try different styles and sizes of Vic's, but I'll never pinch pennies when it comes to sticks again. Is this mostly in my head or what?

It's been discussed before on here. Most bargain sticks are usually seconds (translation REJECTS) of the major brands.

Totally right. I'm pretty generous when it comes to sticks. Buying good sticks pays off after time. Cheaper sticks don't feel as good as pro sticks, and they usually break quicker = you have to buy new pairs = you don't save any money in the long run. I played Vics for many years, but now I'm on the Vater roller coaster.

It's been discussed before on here. Most bargain sticks are usually seconds (translation REJECTS) of the major brands.

Much of the time those sticks are rejected due to cosmetic reasons; therefore, some bargain sticks are quite good. I have had good luck with them. Peace and goodwill.

Most of the time it's not just because they're bargain sticks at all, it's just because the don't properly fit your hands or style of music that you play. When buying bargain brand sticks there is more of a chance of mismatches and sticks that are not straight. Check by doing the roll test if you're not certain paying most attention to the tip of the stick.

Dennis

Back