Fan for drumming?

I have the "Cool Operator Jr.", a small plastic fan that blows forever. I think mine has been running for 4 straight years without being turned off, and I've had it since the 90s.

With all due respect to bonzolead, I've had both and IMHO, this is the best fan you will ever own for drumming, period. Everyone who feels it in action ends up buying one. It's a well built squirrel cage design. Very efficient and quiet. The minute I felt one I had to have one. The blue one is the one you want, if you buy a Lasko. The yellow one is too big. Stanley makes a good one too, but it's gaudy yellow and black. The blue one isn't too obvious on stage. It's small, it pivots, and it moves major air. I can only use it on low. Plus it has a duplex outlet built in, in case you have an electric cape. As necessary to me as a good throne IMO, I get soaked sometimes. Plus you'll be the envy of all your bandmates!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Multi-Purpose-Pivoting-Utility-Fan-U12100/19861415

exactly what I use....but I have the "Stanley" brand (same fan different colors, same price)

F

I may check out those other fans who knows it may become my #1 fan...lol

you knew I had to say it..lol.

Seriously I never tried the lasco or stanley fans or the stand mounted fan for that matter, I just know the honeywell fans push decent air & are cheap. but now im intrigued too check the other ones out.

Keep swattin' & be cool..lol
Bonzolead

These are the fans that contractors use to dry out your carpets when your hot water heater fails or your washer overflows. I expect to get many years of service from mine before it fails. But if it fails early, I'll let you know.

Im not trying to trash these fans, Im just passing on what I know about them. I have a lot of experience with them, used them many hrs, took them apart, swapped motors/housings, talked to LASKO directly about them etc. etc. They do 'outperform' lesser designs, that's why I gave them such a good chance.

They're not really professional grade tho, the ABS housed ones are, and they can handle way more abuse. Contractors 'use blower type' fans, but in a busy contractor situation these cheaper fans are seen as toys, they're not that well built, if it falls off a truck, a 2x4 falls on it... its toast.

They're a beyotch to clean too (I need my fan blades to be clean, you can easily get sick breathing dirty air from a fan) you need to disassemble them and the blade cage needs to be scrubbed and when you do be careful the blades are thin and weak, easily broken, then the fan is out of balance and makes noise, super glue will fix.

I was OK with the cheap housings/blades breaking from mishandling, that stuff happens, but the motor on the blue LASKO failing and the STANLEYS and LASKOS parts not being interchangeable caused me to give up on them. My stuff gets handled by others a lot and I myself am not really that careful when carrying gear so I need stuff that's well built and these fans didn't pass the test. Always save your receipt.

Last edited:
I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HACP10B-U-Oscillating-Clip-Fan/dp/B003N5TSZM

Two speeds, oscillating or stationary, small, and a clip that is so strong you can mount it on anything. At one time, I actually clipped to something on my rack down low, pointing up and no one even noticed it was there. I now clip it onto the side on my mixer rack which is right next to me.

Is it a wind tunnel? No, but it definitely gets air moving toward you without causing problems with drum or vocal mics. I use it one the low speed. It is compact enough that you won't mind bringing it to gigs, and it takes up next to no extra space. I noticed it has some mixed reviews on Amazon, but then again, unhappy people are the ones that usually make noise, while happy people don't bother posting reviews. In any case, would I buy it again? Absolutely.

Back