Jim Gordon

A drummer who bought some of Jim Gordons cymbals back in the 80's, posted about it on another forum and rang off some of Jim's go-to cymbals. Many of them were K's, but some were A's. Jim Gordon also had a few Zildjian china and swisher type cymbals, but I'm not sure he used those with Mad Dogs. He did play them with Zappa, a year later.

From what I understand he played a 20" K ride and 18" K crash for that tour.

Attachments

• jimgordon73.jpg
    jimgordon73.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4,830
  • jimgordon71.jpg
    jimgordon71.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 962
Last edited:
There's a whole bunch of videos from 1978 with Jackson Browne at a BBC concert. You can catch glimpses of Jim at work. The rest of the time geez that guy plays just wonderful accompaniment. That show sounds so much like the records Jackson did, and it's just wonderful music from that era.

A highlight for me was watching David Lindley sing the high part in Load Out/Stay

Here's one vid to get you started, more on the side, but not all. You might have to look around a little for all the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I11t5mj9FOk

Anyone know what size were his Camcos used on the 'Mad Dogs and Englismen" tour? &cymbals heads&sticks?.
I believe he was playing 12-13-16-24 camcos. Not sure the depth. His cymbals were old (Turkish?) Ks from what I remember : 20" K light ride. 18" K crash and 14" K hats.

I am a psychologist and I believe you are mistaken. Paranoid schizophrenia is much more likely to explain the what happened. Alcohol and drugs didn't help (likely lowering his inhibitions) but it seems clear from the quotes in the article above that he had persecutory auditory hallucinations and delusions involving his mother.

IMHO your remarks about Chapman are also misguided. He almost surely suffered from a sexual delusion (de Clarembault syndrome or erotomania) directed at Jodi Foster. Many people with these delusions commit violent offenses. If anyone deserves an insanity defense (or at least diminished capacity), it is someone with well documented psychosis. The courts agreed in the case of Chapman, but unfortunately not with Gordon.

Let me also add that most people with mental illness are no more dangerous than the rest of society.

I just happened to look back at this thread and you seem to be mixing up Mark David Chapman with John Hinkley.

This is alluding to a comment I made about Mark David Chapman, that "his name evokes anger, rather than pity or tragedy". Later on I responded to 8Mile, who mentioned that he had studied abnormal psychology in college and had a different perspective on serious mental illness: "I don't feel anger any more at Mark Chapman, though I still I believe it was a highly selfish act. But at the time, I saw him only as a person trying to get into the limelight without any merit. I didn't look at the mental illness associated with it."

Fortunately, his parole board has denied repeated requests by him to be released. I don't think Jim wants to be released, but could be wrong.

On Bo Eders recent thread his Soundcloud had a nice version to 'Classical Gas'. I had never noticed the drumming in it before. Went to the original and with a little research to find who it was..... Jim. It's really quite explosive in parts, in what really is a classical piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk

While listening on YouTube also came across Glen Campbells version of ' Wichita Lineman" on the sidebar....another soft song I like. Hmmm, very nice brush work on there too, stuff that I really never noticed. And who was the drummer?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU

On Bo Eders recent thread his Soundcloud had a nice version to 'Classical Gas'. I had never noticed the drumming in it before. Went to the original and with a little research to find who it was..... Jim. It's really quite explosive in parts, in what really is a classical piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREi_Bb85Sk

While listening on YouTube also came across Glen Campbells version of ' Wichita Lineman" on the sidebar....another soft song I like. Hmmm, very nice brush work on there too, stuff that I really never noticed. And who was the drummer?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU
Those are great...also Tom Waits Heart of Saturday Night has some really fine, musical drumming...brush work and all. It took me by surprise a little.

Great thread guys. I'm a guitarist who plays (a little) drums. I knew about Jim Gordon very well from his high-profile rock gigs back in the day, but didn't realize how busy a session musician he really was, he played on tons of stuff.

I worked with Bonnie Bramlett for awhile in the late 70s, she wouldn't talk about Jim, the murder freaked her out so much. She did mention that he treated Rita Coolidge badly... I'd guess after all of what happened Rita is lucky to be still around. It's a real tragedy, he was such a highly gifted musician. It's a shame he couldn't get some kind of daytime monitored release program so he could get out and play a little.

Great thread guys. I'm a guitarist who plays (a little) drums. I knew about Jim Gordon very well from his high-profile rock gigs back in the day, but didn't realize how busy a session musician he really was, he played on tons of stuff.

I worked with Bonnie Bramlett for awhile in the late 70s, she wouldn't talk about Jim, the murder freaked her out so much. She did mention that he treated Rita Coolidge badly... I'd guess after all of what happened Rita is lucky to be still around. It's a real tragedy, he was such a highly gifted musician. It's a shame he couldn't get some kind of daytime monitored release program so he could get out and play a little.

This is my favorite thread here. I understand that the (is it called the coda?) end part of Layla, whom Jim is credited for....he actually lifted that from Rita. She is the real inventor of that piano part.

Much respect for being close to all that.

I've heard different things about the coda in Layla. One of the guys in Bonnie's band said that the melody of it was actually inspired by something Duane Allman played on slide guitar.

Does anyone know who Jim used as drum techs at any point in his career? It would be absolutely amazing to pick their brains about his gear, not to mention being able to watch him play every night! Similar to Andy Newmark's studio experience, these guys would certainly have picked up a deep understanding of his techniques and nuances.

Just a thought.

The gear in many pics , at least post 1969, seems to be the same, no matter what the venue - his maple Camco's, including a maple snare and some Zildjian K's or A's. There are a few studio shots I've seen where a small Rogers tom is alongside the Camco's. No doubt though with his touch he'd sound great on any set.

In Clapton's autobio, the coda on Layla came to be when other members came back into the studio from a break, and Jim was there playing the part on piano by himself. Clapton asked to lift it right on to the end, which they as yet had no ending for. It is certainly money in the bank for Jim, that he will likely never see.

In Clapton's autobio, the coda on Layla came to be when other members came back into the studio from a break, and Jim was there playing the part on piano by himself. Clapton asked to lift it right on to the end, which they as yet had no ending for. It is certainly money in the bank for Jim, that he will likely never see.
The other wrinkle I've heard to this story is that he stole the melody from his then-girlfriend Rita Coolidge.

Regardless, I also read that Clapton has meticulously seen to it that Gordon receives every penny paid for his share of the writing credit.

Edit: Oops, just noticed the Rita Coolidge thing was already mentioned above. I didn't see it until after I posted. Sorry.

Last edited:
The other wrinkle I've heard to this story is that he stole the melody from his then-girlfriend Rita Coolidge.

Regardless, I also read that Clapton has meticulously seen to it that Gordon receives every penny paid for his share of the writing credit.

Edit: Oops, just noticed the Rita Coolidge thing was already mentioned above. I didn't see it until after I posted. Sorry.

True dat, but it's not as known as it should be IMO. It bears repeating. I thought for a long time Jim composed that coda but he didn't. Rita should be given the credit...and at least half the money if we're being fair. Jim does deserve some dough, if it wasn't for him, it would likely be lost to time. But really Rita created the beauty.

The gear in many pics , at least post 1969, seems to be the same, no matter what the venue - his maple Camco's, including a maple snare and some Zildjian K's or A's. There are a few studio shots I've seen where a small Rogers tom is alongside the Camco's. No doubt though with his touch he'd sound great on any set.

I've seen him playing drums other than his Camcos in different images and videos, too. I heard that in the studio, he would use a variety of drums and cymbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FJ9Bppalo

Also I have found out that if anyone wants to get close to the Jim Gordon ride sound he so famously had, the Zildjian A Deep Ride (discontinued) is a really close match.

Back