How to stop feet from slipping on pedals

BassDriver

Silver Member
How do you stop your feet from slipping on the pedals. I wear shows while drumming but I also covered the pedal footboards with gaffer tape and my feet are still slipping. I often have to reset the position of my feet on the footboard and this ends up getting in the way of practice.

BTW, I have feet heels down on the pedals.

...and don't mention toe-stops, because I have used them and it sucks because it ends up scrunching my toes.

Gaffers tape and duct tape are two really slick products. If you want to keep your feet from moving on the pedal get some skateboard grip tape or they sell a grip tape at home depot/lowes that's called tread stair tape or something like that but it's got a sandpaper type surface like skateboard deck tape does or get a pair of shoes with a tacky rubber sole. Never had much problem with my foot sliding, then again I like my foot to slide a little for quick strokes

my foot slides, too. But I only wear socks. I play heel up and am just constantly aware of my foot position. I had to take the toe stops off,because my feet are huge( size 15) and couldn't do the heel-toe technique with them on. you play heel down and your foot creeps forward, as it should, just like bass drum creep. But you wear shoes, which usually prevents or hinders foot creep. If you don't like toe stops, I would recommend grip tape. Th eprevious poster was correct, the tape you are using is the wrong type. Use the stuff they use on restaurant kitchen floors. It's called floor tape, I think. It's really sticky on the bottom and grips like hell on top. But be aware that your foot won't slide AT ALL. I need some slide when I play, not sure if you do, too. What pedals do you play on?

I've never had this problem but I new a guy years ago who had this problem. I suggested he tried a deck grip for a surfboard. I gave him an off cut from a grip for my board (i customize my deck grips). He never looked back. I haven't seen him in years but I know he was using it for at least six years. I was using Gorilla Grip if you want to know.

Gaffers tape and duct tape are two really slick products. If you want to keep your feet from moving on the pedal get some skateboard grip tape or they sell a grip tape at home depot/lowes that's called tread stair tape or something like that but it's got a sandpaper type surface like skateboard deck tape does or get a pair of shoes with a tacky rubber sole. Never had much problem with my foot sliding, then again I like my foot to slide a little for quick strokes

Yep, 'silicon grip tape' for skateboards, stairs, etc. -

tricktape.jpg

Got it in the skateboard/sporting goods section of K-mart for $4 and it will do 8 or 10 of my Trick pedals. Keep in mind that if there's not enough flat surface on the footboard, the tape may not stick well, but it's worth a shot. The Trick footboard is completely flat and very smooth, so my tape's not going anywhere!

Bermuda

...after putting on the gaff tape the foot slipping wasn't as bad as before...

...I have Iron Cobra Jnr. double pedal, putting deck tape on it would be terrible because of the Iron Cobra logo on the footboard, not very flat, might aswell not worry about such a terrible double pedal anyway.

...after putting on the gaff tape the foot slipping wasn't as bad as before...

...I have Iron Cobra Jnr. double pedal, putting deck tape on it would be terrible because of the Iron Cobra logo on the footboard, not very flat, might aswell not worry about such a terrible double pedal anyway.

If putting gaffers tape on seemed to fit on the pedal o.k. then why wouldn't deck tape? You don't have to cover the entire pedal, one strip 2-3 inches wide either run the length of the pedal or horizontally across where the middle of your foot hits should work.

If your feet slip forward on the pedals, it means that you are using too much forward force with your feet. Adjust your technique until your feet don't slip -- adding friction tape cures the symptoms, not the cause.

If your feet slip forward on the pedals, it means that you are using too much forward force with your feet. Adjust your technique until your feet don't slip -- adding friction tape cures the symptoms, not the cause.

Naturally my feet slip forward as I play heel down, I can't do anything about it, the heel-down motion is pretty simple.

Have you tried any other methods to fix the problem? You could try raising your throne a little bit, or moving it back some. Make sure you are equally balanced between your pedals.

Naturally my feet slip forward as I play heel down, I can't do anything about it, the heel-down motion is pretty simple.

It's tricky, and it will take some time and practice, but you can learn how to play heel down without having the slipping problem. You'll also fatigue less easily and be able to play faster as your technique improves. Check out Dom Famularo's "Pedal Control" or Thomas Lang's "Creative Coordination" and watch closely at their heel down technique - super fast and controlled, with no sliding up the pedal.

If you don't have the time to practice, then the tape from the skateshop might help. Also, check that your pedals are adjusted comfortably, because you might be being forced to slide up the pedal just to get enough power to play. Famularo's book has a good step-by-step guide to adjusting your pedals.

It's tricky, and it will take some time and practice, but you can learn how to play heel down without having the slipping problem. You'll also fatigue less easily and be able to play faster as your technique improves. Check out Dom Famularo's "Pedal Control" or Thomas Lang's "Creative Coordination" and watch closely at their heel down technique - super fast and controlled, with no sliding up the pedal.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some info from one of those.

I realise this is an old thread, but in case anyone else is looking for an answer, here are my thoughts...

Whether you're playing heel up or heel down the only reason for your foot to slide up the pedal is unnecessary tention in the muscles of your thigh. There's no reason for your foot to move away from your body unless you tense those muscles.

The essence of controlled and efficient drumming is playing without tensing unnecessary muscles. The only thing your thigh muscles to is extend your leg so they have no part in playing a bass drum pedal and yet you'll find most drummers tense those muscles when they play. Hence the foot sliding up the pedal. When you're barefoot there's a bit more friction (I'm assuming your shoes don't have a lot of grip).

It's not always easy to realise that your thigh muscles extend your leg since you can sit with your leg hanging (foot off the floor) and tense your thigh without your foot moving. What you have to realise is that when you're doing this you're also tensing your hamstring the same amount. Your hamstring muscles (on the back of your leg) are used to bend your leg. Tense them both and nothing happens to your foot because they're pulling in opposite directions. However you are wasting a lot of energy.

When you try and play something that you can't properly control (usually something that's a bit faster than you're used to - though with the bass drum it can be almost anything) the tendency is to tense a lot of muscles that aren't required. Your brain basically hasn't figured out which are necessary and which aren't so it just tenses a lof of them and if what you wanted to happen does happen then it's satisfied.

When practicing you should aim to locate all the muscles that tense up and try to inhibit the tensing of those that aren't necessary. It's tough, but it'll really help your playing.

I hope that makes some sense.

When I'm practicing heel down bass drum I put my hand on my thigh when I'm completely relaxed. Then when I start playing the pedal I'll feel it in my hand if something in my thigh tenses up.

Joe

Thanks for chiming in Joe and welcome to DW. I've been a fan of your youtube vids for some time now. Really enjoy your teaching style (assuming you're the same Joe Crabtree? How many can there be , right?). Great to see you here and hope you'll stick around. I'll be looking forward to your input.

Yep, 'silicon grip tape' for skateboards, stairs, etc. -

tricktape.jpg

Got it in the skateboard/sporting goods section of K-mart for $4 and it will do 8 or 10 of my Trick pedals. Keep in mind that if there's not enough flat surface on the footboard, the tape may not stick well, but it's worth a shot. The Trick footboard is completely flat and very smooth, so my tape's not going anywhere!

Bermuda

Awesome tip Bermuda!

I'm sure it's cheaper than this from Trick:
http://www.shoptrick.com/products/Trick-Pedal-Grip-Tape-451.html?cPath=10_24

Then you gotta add shipping. I was just about to order some for my Dominator.

I know this is an old thread but this issue has gotten back to me once I have started to practice double kick drumming again.

I have put grip tape on the footboard (which is a bit awkward because the footboard is not flat and has the TAMA logo on it) and that ha slowed down the slipping a little.

I am interested in how to reduce the thigh tension because I am aware that my thighs get tense while drumming heel down. I am still clueless as to how to change my technique so as to eliminate this tension.

How do you stop your feet from slipping on the pedals. I wear shows while drumming but I also covered the pedal footboards with gaffer tape and my feet are still slipping. I often have to reset the position of my feet on the footboard and this ends up getting in the way of practice.

BTW, I have feet heels down on the pedals.

...and don't mention toe-stops, because I have used them and it sucks because it ends up scrunching my toes.
I had this problem. I play heel down too. I got a sheet of ordinary coarse sandpaper, cut a strip the width of the narrowest part of the pedal and stuck it along the footplate with double sided tape. It worked like a charm. Mind you there’s pretty much no slip at all if you do this so no good if you want a bit of slide left. ;)

Back