Axis pedal help!

melloj

I have an Axis double pedal which is great - except for one thing, the beaters keep working themselves loose and either flying off or dropping down. This week I've lost 2 gigs, the other night I had the humiliation off telling a packed crowd the gig was over because my pedal had failed.

I've examined it and the thread looks fine and the grub screws look fine, the only wear is screw head marks on the shafts, but I'd expect that.

I think what is happening is this: they never come loose on my own kit, and I have my head tensioned really taught. When I gig and use some one elses kit and they have their head down tuned (which is ususlly the case) it causes much more play, that coupled with the weight of the sonic hammers, one grub screw isn't holding it, and the vibrations are shaking them loose.

But what can I do about it?? They shouldn't come loose irellevent of head tension. I don't want to use a lighter beater as I'm used to the weight of the hammers. That said I've lost faith in the Hammers. Can any one recommend a different beater?? I may try new shafts.

I've mentioned this in another AXIS pedal thread, you need to file the surface of the screw, not the threads, the part that touches the brass ball of the HAMMER shaft, also clean that brass ball... holding power will be increased.

You either have a dirty brass ball, or the flat part of the wing screw that comes in contact with the brass ball is dirty, or both. Need to clean them, bring the steel to shiny, the brass too.

Sorry my friend, but you've mis-understood the problem. It is not the head of the beater that is coming loose, it is the grub screw that holds the beater shaft in place that is coming loose, thus the whole beater is flying off.

I should've been clearer, when I referred to the 'head' I meant bass drum batter head.

But thanks for taking the time to post.

For the record, I've never had a problem with the sonic hammer's beater heads coming loose as so many others have. The shaft screws are the only problem I've had with it so far.

Sorry my friend, but you've mis-understood the problem. It is not the head of the beater that is coming loose, it is the grub screw that holds the beater shaft in place that is coming loose, thus the whole beater is flying off.

I should've been clearer, when I referred to the 'head' I meant bass drum batter head.

But thanks for taking the time to post.

Same applies, inspect the grub screws end too, make sure its flat, if its not, file it being careful not to hit the threads, also lube the threads.

It might have a ridge right down the middle, or be cut at an angle causing it not to have full contact w/the shaft.

Back