Isolation headphones. Need opinions please!

gibeachhead

I don't like In Ear Monitors....I currently use the Vic Firth Isolation headphones, but they are horrible. They don't isolate the drums very well (horrible cupping around the ears), and as a result I am playing the music on my iPod at the highest level. I know it's damaging my ears and it's time to get some better headphones that actually isolate.

I've been looking around and I really don't want to pay more than $100. My choice has come down to two sets:

KOSS Pro4AA: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Pro-4AA-Studio-Quality-Headphones/dp/B00004Z7G9/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Or

Metronome Studio Kans Isolation: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/metrophones-studio-kans-isolation-recording-headphones

The KOSS gets great reviews, but many people seem to use them for listening to music and mixing, I need them mainly for use while playing my drums. So I wonder if they are good isolation headphones for drummers?

The Metronomes get negative reviews, but most reviews for those are over 3 years old (so maybe they have changed for the better?).

Both do get good marks on audio quality. What I really like about the Metronomes is that the ear cups are gel-filled, whereas the KOSS are air filled. Reading the reviews it seems that the Metronomes gel filled cups give you better isolation; but people say the gel tends to leak out over time (again, most of those reviews are old, maybe they fixed the leaking problem?).

Anyways, opinions are much appreciated here. If you own either one or can share your knowledge on the matter, I do appreciate it!

Once you get use to the in ears you will never use anything else, so much cleaner sounding and no feedback problems like speaker monitors, and not hot and sweaty or bulky like headphones, plus if you use ones that have the foam sleeves like Shure they isolate really well and stay in place and dont move around like headphones can.

Even though i usually hate in-ear kinds of headphones, instead of buying really expensive isolation headphones, i bought a pair of those noise isolating ear-covers that construction workers use, and i just wear high quality in-ear headphones (With the isolating headset over them) and they work pretty well!

Even though i usually hate in-ear kinds of headphones, instead of buying really expensive isolation headphones, i bought a pair of those noise isolating ear-covers that construction workers use, and i just wear high quality in-ear headphones (With the isolating headset over them) and they work pretty well!

I did the same thing just with vic firth headphones, they didn't plug in. Those actually cancelled out the noise better than the plug in vic firth ones.

Works perfect for me too. I insert my high quality in-ear plugs first. Then over those I place headphones used at the shooting range. The iPod is kept at about 25% volume because the shooting range headphones really silence the drums.

As a bonus, you can jog or workout with the in-ear plugs since they are not big or bulky. If you want to protect your hearing, just use the rifle range headphones when you practice on your kit. I got my headphones for less than $20 at the sporting goods store.

I was just about to recommend the Vic Firth-phones, lol....
I'm using them and I think they're great. Either way, it's up to you...

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have vic firth isolation headphones with the speakesr in them (~3 years old). They suck, the audio quality is terrible and there is no good seal around your ear...so they don't isolate well and volume is played at max.

I also have the standard blue (no speaker) isolation headphones by Vic firth. Those are amazing, those block out everything, problem is I need to hear my music (so they are only good for playing sans music or with a band mate). I do not want to use headphones/earphones under those, it doesn't work for me.

I can't stand things in my ear so isolation headphones are the way to go, I'm just not sure to get the Koss or the Metronomes. No stores in my area have either to try, so I gotta go based on Internet reviews. I need the one with the best seal around the ear/head (both get good marks on audio quality).

Ultraphones by GK-music.com have been my choice for several years.

Re the seal around your ears, keep in mind that if you have bushy/long hair, no cup will seal well.

Bermuda

Ultraphones by GK-music.com have been my choice for several years.

Re the seal around your ears, keep in mind that if you have bushy/long hair, no cup will seal well.

Bermuda

Wow, those look great! The extra deep cup looks to accommodate the speaker and give enough empty space for your ear w/ a good seal.

They are double my budget, but I need to save my ears.

I'll have to think about it. Thanks Bermuda.

This is probably absolutely no help...but I picked up some Klipsch S4 noise isolating ear buds. Primarily I got them to ride motorcycle as at higher speeds the Skull Candy ear buds didn't get the job done.

I haven't tried them with my drums yet (newborn baby in the house) but I used them when I mowed the lawn and couldn't hear my mower at all.

+ 1

I bought these 6 months ago -- they are superior -- and in your price range.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional-dj-headphones-HD-280-PRO_004974

Superior to the ultraphones?

They isolate well and are tested to stay on your head while drumming? How tight is the cupping around the ears?

Forgive my suspicion, they look like normal listening/studio headphones. I know they say they isolate; but I'm weary they are made more for stationary listening and lack the ability to fit tight and isolate in movement.

To reply to some other posts: I have the Audio Technical MTH-50M and those in no way are isolating headphones. You cannot use those while drumming, they are strictly for listening or studio work.

I'm still leaning toward the ultraphones, I think I might just wait and save up more to get the right pair.

To reply to some other posts: I have the Audio Technical MTH-50M and those in no way are isolating headphones. You cannot use those while drumming, they are strictly for listening or studio work.

Well, it depends on how much isolation you want, I use them while playing drums in my home studio and they work fine.
I also own the Sennheiser 280 pro, they isolate a few db more than the ATH-50.
So not much difference regarding that aspect.

Those Ultraphones look solid although not very comfortable.
I think in-ears could also be great although I've tried several general (as in: cheaper) ones and never got them to fit right so the isolation (and sound quality) was pretty bad.
I think I'll have to save up for custom made ones.

I would recommend the Shure SRH 440 headphones with a slight modification of the SRH 840 ear pads. These headphones isolate very well, are very comfortable around the ears, they are lightweight, compared to the SRH 840, they are about $120 USD and they sound great. I own two pairs and also two pairs of the SRH 840. I also have the Audio Technica 50M and wouldn't consider them isolation headphones. The 50s also have an exaggerated low frequency response that I find quite annoying. I also have the Sennheiser 280s, but the Shure 440 beats them hands down in both comfort and sonic quality.

Just my opinion.
Dennis

This is probably absolutely no help...but I picked up some Klipsch S4 noise isolating ear buds. Primarily I got them to ride motorcycle as at higher speeds the Skull Candy ear buds didn't get the job done.

I haven't tried them with my drums yet (newborn baby in the house) but I used them when I mowed the lawn and couldn't hear my mower at all.

Just want to update this in case any of you are interested...

I used the S4 while riding my motorcycle today. They work great. Block out plenty of wind noise at highway speeds.

Still haven't played drums with them...but I will.

I have a pair of Studio Kans and they can get pretty heavy/uncomfortable after a while. I would recommend in ears instead.

Klipsch S-4i

I have the HD-280s and have had the Firths.

The 280s don't isolate nearly as well and have less low end. The Firths isolate but get uncomfortable and have crappy frequency extremes.

Once you get the S-4is in right they are amazing. Bass is a bit higher than flat but helps for drums.

(To get them in right slowly turn them until they go all the way in. they go so far it is a bit unnerving. If you don't have great bass they are not in right)

So I did make a decision and the new isolation headphones should be here tomorrow. I went with headphones (I'll tell which ones once I post a review), I cannot tolerate in ear monitors.

I feel very confident in my purchase and will post a review of them after I've had a few days and many hours playing with them!

Thanks for everybody's responses in this thread!

Back