infos on drumheads

vinneyboy

Hi everyone,

I have a Mapex drumset, the Voyageur I think, and this summer I had planned to change for a new drum kit, a better one, but since I don't really want to take all the money I will make this summer to buy a new kit, I decided to just upgrades the drum heads. Right now, I'm not quite sure (I'm not at my house), the heads are evans, or it's the E-rings that are evans I don't remember. Anyway, my question is which drumheads brands I should look at? On the evans website, they show what is the attack, sustain, tone and durability of the different heads, but what does these characteritic concretely means?

If something isn't clear in my message just tell me, I may have made some structure mistakes, I'm still learning this language!

Thanks a lot,

Vinney

Hello Vinney!

I'd be happy to help you choose a set of heads for your kit. What style of music are you playing?

In regards to the attack/sustain/tone/durability, those are all relative and therefore meant to compare against each other. I would recommend taking a look at www.Evansdrumheads.com/playerprofile and exploring each of the profiles to see which fits you best.

Cheers!

Last edited:
And don't feel the need to limit yourself to the brand you have on currently. As with alot of things, the drumhead industry is dominated by the "big 3", Remo, Evens, and Aquarian. If all depends on what you want from your drum... How do you want your toms to sound? Snare? Bass? There's a lot of very smart people around here, I'm sure we can find something that suits your needs...

If you don't really know what you want my advice would be to either get some remo emperors or evans g2s for all your heads. These are simple, unmuffled 2 ply heads, and you can't go wrong with them. From there, you can decide if you want more/less sustain, higher/lower pitch, level of attack, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I play different style but more frequently rock and metal. Although I'd like something that suits not only to metal and rock. What I don't understand in attack/tone/durability/sustain etc. is what they represent. For exemple, what is the difference between a head that has a high level of attack and another who has a low one? For the sustain and durability I understand the meaning and tone I'm not quite sure, but it's really the attack that bothers me...

I'd like my bass drum to sound a bit like Lars' one in the 80's albums. A short sound, a bit high, but punchy. As for the toms, I like the one's of Bullet's drummer but I'm really open to discover new styles, that would suit with the bass drum.

Daredrummer, when you talk about 'unmuffled 2 ply heads', what is that? Sorry if my questions seems basic to you but since I've began playing drums I have a desire to know everything about it!

Vinney

"Attack" refers to the first sound of the drumstick on the head. This could be important when a drummer plays very fast. Some heads will make every stroke clear, while others may blur the notes together. Peace and goodwill

"Attack" refers to the first sound of the drumstick on the head. This could be important when a drummer plays very fast. Some heads will make every stroke clear, while others may blur the notes together. Peace and goodwill

Thanks I will finally be able to sleep calm and peaceful !

Here's my understanding:

Attack - how defined the impact is of the stick striking the head. E.g tap the table with the soft underside of your finger, then flick it with your finger nail.

Tone - I reckon they just mean is it a bright or dull sound.

Durability - 2 ply skins are more durable than single. Also the reverse dot types are more durable but they feel different and often have less sustain.

Sustain - how long the sound last. I think this includes overtones - that ringing noise after the initial attack. Overtones are basically what makes the drum cut through. You need em when you're playing in a band even if you don't like em when you're playing on your own.

Back