INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

How long have I been playing: In my 4th
Origin of my username: My name and favorite number
Top 5 drummers: Brian Blade, Elvin Jones, the rest i can't decide
Make of Drumkit: Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz
Make of Cymbals: Zildjian K 14" , (hopefully) Meinl 20" Jazz Prototype Club
Where do you practice: My room and band room
Are you or were you in a band: School!
Covers or originals: Well.. its jazz
Style of music: Jazz
Take out food: uh.. In'n'out and thats it
Drink: Coke
How did I start drumming: Self-taught, now have a teacher!

Hey guys ! I wish I found this site my freshman year... although, I just got my drumset so I guess its alright. In any case, I am so glad I found this. I was afraid that I would go back to not improving when I go to college due to the lack of a teacher !

Real name? Darryl
Age? Deep Youth (52)
How long have you been playing? Almost my whole life starting with pots and pans on the kitchen floor at 1 1/2
Origin of user name? Current light guy gave me the nickname
Your top 5 drummers? This is tough and subjective, but John Bonham, Keith Moon, Bill Ward, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta (plus Billy Cobham, Marco Minnemann, Rayford Griffin, Neil Peart, Mitch Mitchell)
Make of drumkit? Tama and Slingerland
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Sabian
Where do you practice? My Hizzy, singer's hizzouse
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Hard rock from 60's to current
What country do you live in? US
How did you start drumming? See above

Real name? Dean
Age? 44
How long have you been playing? 32 years
Origin of user name? Standard N/N of any Dean with my year
Your top 5 drummers? We only get five?! Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Jerry Mercer, Paul Delong, and an old friend that played in a pipe band. Rolls sounded like leaking air!
Make of drumkit? Ludwig
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Sabian
Where do you practice? Basement
Are you in a band? Yes, two.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers and originals
What style of music? Classic rock
What country do you live in? Canada
How did you start drumming? Heard Peart on first live record RUSH did and was hooked, then saw Buddy on the Tonight Show. Been my passion ever since!

I've been a fan of this site for a long time, just never joined the forums till now. Found y'all looking for an OOP technique book.

How long have you been playing: 25 +
Favorite drummers: Jeff Tain Watts, Ginger Baker, Joe Morello, Matt Cameron, Max Roach, AVH, DeJohnette, Elvin, Tony, ... I could go on and on.
Make of drum kit: I got a few (don't we all), but vintage Premier, Ludwig are my favorites.
Make of cymbal: Paiste & Istanbul
Where do you practice: Drums at rehearsal space, pads at home.
Are you in a band: A few.
Do you play covers or originals: Yes
What style of music: JAZZ, funk, rock, blues, reggae, metal, groove, experimental
What country do you live in: U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself: I don't like RIMS mounts any more.
How did you start drumming: They didn't teach guitar in high school beginning band, so drums was 2nd choice. Little did I know, I'd never put sticks down again.

Hello everybody.
My name is Costas and i'm from Greece.
I'm 33 years old and i'm playing the drums since i was 13. I was a pro drummer for 7-8 yaers and so far i enjoy music with my band in my studio.
My favourite drummer is BONZO but i think that the best drummer ever is Horacio Hernandez. I also like Jojo Mayer.
I play Mapex drums and Zildjian cymbals, Vic firth 7A sticks.
I'm also building my own drums and i plan to build a set of olive wood sometime.
I worship rock music and every music that comes out of natural instruments.
Sorry if my english are not perfect

Hi all! =)

My name is Jamal and I am a blind musician.

I am 18 in about 3 weeks and I've been blind since birth.

I live in a small town called Nowra on the South Coast of NSW Australian.

I've been a musicians since birth but only started playing drums in 2010.

I LOVE groovy tunes!! I play and listen to a variety of music like Funk, Ska, Reggae, Blues, Jazz, Soul, RnB etc. I like any type of music as long as it takes you to a place.

I'm inspired by groups and musicians such as James Brown, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Steve Jordan etc etc the list kinda just goes on and on haha.

I play in a Ska band and try to do a lot of jamming with local musos. I also kinda play 'sessions' for HSC students. I try stay busy.

I also play guitar, bass guitar, vocals and a variety of percussion instruments.

Follow me on twitter
https://twitter.com/MrKickSnareHats

P.S. I'm loving the forum. Send me an add.

Hi everyone
Real name Carl
41 years old
Been playing on and off since I was 13.
Got a gretsch new classic maple fusion set in natural satin finish.
Cymbals ain't all that and I'm looking to get a sabian HHX pack so any advice on size is appreciated. Want cymbals for blues,acid jazz(JTQ stuff)and a bit of reggae! I was thinking evolution performance pack!?!
I play in a band although not gigged for a while as lots of crap been going on what with our guitarist dying and his wife who was our singer leaving because of it(back now).
Live in south east England and my day job I'm a Paramedic so love nothing better than letting all the stress come out through my drums lol. Not that I smash the hell out of em
Any that's about it I think. Il get some pics of my set up on here at some point. Off to play with my band tonight in our practice room.

Regards
Carl

Last edited:
Howdy! I just want to say I am really pleased to be here!

Real name? Todd
Age? 39
How long have you been playing? 25 years
Origin of user name? Band 'in' joke
Your top 5 drummers? Rich, Bonham, Peart, Copeland, Billy Martin
Make of drumkit? This will remain a mystery for now
Make of cymbal? UFIP
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Several
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Blues, Rock, anything
Favourite take out food? ribs
What country do you live in? Australia
How did you start drumming? Went to a friends house who had a kit when I was 14. He let me have a tap and I said to myself, 'man, I gotta do this'

Hi everyone , been lurking for quite a while and thought i would take the leap and say hello
My Name : Blair
Where i live : Carnarvon , Western Australia , Australia

Been playing for : back into it again after 15 or so years of no room , kids , work , life , all that good stuff . Got back playing after my beautiful wife bought me a new set fo my 40th b,day . Was like riding a bike and i met an old friend again when i picked up those sticks and laid down some AC/DC .

What i play : back in the day Pearl and Zildjian/paiste , now Mapex convert and Zildjian . Not many music shops where i live ( 1000 km from any large city ) but i love my Q series ( i think they are a voyager else where in the world )

Musical influences : Nicko McBrain , Lars , Dave Grohl , Taylor Hawkins and countless others to numerous to mention , some i can play most i cannot yet .

Am i in a band : no but i recently started jamming with some old mates to see what would happen and it came out pretty ok . Now all we need is time together and it will be cool . The main aim is to play a surprise set at my 2 oldest sons bday , they turn 18 and 21 on the same day .

Style : rock n roll baby ,

I stumbled across this site looking for info on tuning my set and it has been a godsend and an absolute font on knowledge and confidence building in my own abilities both in playing and being comfortable with my set . A big thank you to all of you guys young and old who never denigrate someones decisions , are patient and forth coming with anything you think may be helpful .

My hat of to you all .

Kind Regards and a very merry xmas and safe and happy new year to you all .

Hello everybody!!

I´m Mike Buenaventura Lima, an Argentinian drummer. I live in Buenos Aires. I am 27 years old and I've been playing the drums since 2002.
I´ve learned and played many different genres of music, but the two I like most are progressive rock and "folclore argentino". My progressive rock band is "Vanished from Earth" and we have released our first album this year.
Also, this year I released my first drumming dvd "FENIX". It´s a tutorial dvd where I play different styles and also explain the way I play and assemble the instrument. You can find all those things on my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMagicLaim
I also have a facebook page where you can see more videos, pics, and other stuff...
www.facebook.com/MikeLimaDrums

Regards to all and Merry Christmas!!

Last edited:
HEY I'm a Djembe Drum Circle Facilitator in Edmonton, AB and need some advice. Our drum circle community is very disjoint and I need ideas of how we can provide a unified front. We have a Meet up site called Edmonton Drum Circle with 9 different organizers, co organizers, event planners etc. but none of us come together for the same events. It's like when someone wants to join they don't know what, where or when. There is a calendar which helps but for the most part people think we are all doing our own thing. I want all of us to come together some how. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Carol

Real name? Jeff
Age? 48 (Yikes that looks high)
How long have you been playing? Since 14 yo, off and on.
Origin of user name? I am a die-hard Longhorn fan, Class of '94, Hook'em!!
Your top 5 drummers? Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Jeff Porcaro and Buddy Rich
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Stage Custom
Make of cymbal? Wuhan
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Not currently
Do you play covers or originals? Yes
What style of music? Christian, Progressive, Jazz, Rock, Blues and most anything else
Favourite take out food? Anything from Rudy's BBQ
What country do you live in? The good ol' US of A
One really odd fact about yourself? Despite suffering from 2 major injuries to my left hand (Uncle Sam's Army and later a crush injury), I am better than I have ever been at rudiments, stick discipline and mature drumming overall.
How did you start drumming? Shortly after I learned playing the clarinet, I also learned it was not socially acceptable for a 12-13 yo, then I switched to drums.

Hello DRUMMERWORLD drummers.I am an American drummer/drum builder.Thanks for the chance to join other drummers in wrapping about all things drum related.Look for our posts from the world of Hovland Handcrafted Drums. -2013 the year of the DRUM!

HEY I'm a Djembe Drum Circle Facilitator in Edmonton, AB and need some advice. Our drum circle community is very disjoint and I need ideas of how we can provide a unified front. We have a Meet up site called Edmonton Drum Circle with 9 different organizers, co organizers, event planners etc. but none of us come together for the same events. It's like when someone wants to join they don't know what, where or when. There is a calendar which helps but for the most part people think we are all doing our own thing. I want all of us to come together some how. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Carol

This is the wrong thread for that. Try the general discussion and start a thread asking that question.

Hi everyone and happy new year! I've been lurking around here for a while and thought I'd finally get posting, mainly since I've officially turned 'pro' now from 1 Jan (for want of a better word!). I.e. I'm now making my living solely from drumming, not that I'd regard myself as being at 'pro' level by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, here's a bit about me... :)

Real name? Andy MacLellan
Age? 37
How long have you been playing? 26 years
Origin of user name? I'm Andy Mac and I play Drums! :)
Your top 5 drummers? At the moment... Dennis Chambers, Gavin Harrison, Carter Beauford, Vinnie Colaiuta & Taylor Hawkins
Make of drumkit? Pearl Export Select
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Mainly at home
Are you in a band? Yes, 2 at the moment
Do you play covers or originals? Mainly covers
What style of music? Funk & jazz at the moment
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? UK
One really odd fact about yourself? I've been using the same Premier snare drum for 26 years! Time for a change me thinks... :)
How did you start drumming? My dad used to play drums - not professionally but I remember seeing his red sparkle kit hidden away in a cupboard when I was 3 or 4 years old. They were never really set up but I was always fascinated by them. I think that planted the seed but I didn't get a chance to start playing until I was about 11 when I got my first kit. Even then I was never allowed lessons since I played other instruments and one more was considered too much. When I finally left home I pretty much gave up the other instruments in favour of drums. Long story but I now get pro lessons and teach to beginner / intermediate level. I love teaching drums.

If you want to follow my drummy ramblings search for andymacdrums on Twitter, FB, YT etc.

Andy

Hi guys, so this is me:

Real name? Baskoro Indrayana
Age? 17 (18 on May, I'm a Taurean FYI)
How long have I been playing? For 10 years, and there's a whole lot to learn out there. Doesn't mean I'm an amateur, but playing musical instruments is always an endless journey of learning, I believe.
Origin of username? My name... Nothing fancy.
My top 5 drummers? Steve Gadd, Gavin Harrison, Steve Smith, Vinnie Colaiuta, Peter Erskine.
Make of drumkit? Pearl. (It's surprising to see every series in Pearl sounding so good) I'm going to change my heads later.
Make of cymbals? Zildjian. I'm still buying more cymbals.
Where do I practice? In my room.
Am I in a band? Yes.
Do I play covers or originals? Covers, I attempt to always play as if I'm jamming with the drummer in the songs, so my playing's somehow different than the original tracks.
What style of music? I play progressive rock, math rock, jazz, fusion, and sometimes metal.
Favorite take out foods? Noodles.
What country do I live in? Indonesia. (please don't say my country sucks or whatever, I totally know it)
One really odd fact about myself? Sometimes when I play drums, I tend to lick my lips.
How did I start drumming? I started playing drums in a game center. (it was some electric drums plugged to a game machine. The setup's like a real drum kit, it just doesn't have a floor tom)

Well, that's all.

Real name? Tony Shing Siu Sze
Age? 17.5
How long have I been playing? 1.5 years
Origin of username? I created it myself by merging my last name and English name with extra "Z"s
My top 5 drummers? Benny Greb, Chad Szeliga, Marco Minnemann, Cobus Potgieter, Gavin Harrison
Make of drumkit? Roland vdrum TD-12KX (I wanna have a Sonor or Pearl acoustic kit and Meinl or Sabian cymbals)
Where do I practice? My Room or with my mates and friends
Am I in a band? Yes.
Do I play covers or originals? I play both. I post cover videos on Youtube. Usually I'm covering my favourite songs. Also, I create original musics with my friends.
What style of music? I play and listen to all kind of music. I love rock, metal, progressive and alternative the most, but I love Jazz, World, Rap, Classical, etc too. Listen to all kind of musics makes me play better.
What country do I live in? Hong Kong, China.
One really odd fact about myself? I usually say I'm not jealous of anything but I do jealous of somebody else. It makes me improve myself to be better.
How did I start drumming? I addicted to LINKIN PARK (STILL TODAY) when i was 15. Later on I explore to more Rock bands like Green Day, Muse, My Chemical Romance. It makes me wanna play instruments and create music. One day I saw LINKIN PARK's drummer, ROB BOURDON's drum solo on their song, BLEED IT OUT. His solo just attracted me to be drummer. I thought, 'Fuck Yea! I wanna play drums!). That's how I started.

hi guys, my name is radu gradinariu, i'm a 26 year old guitar player from romania and i've always been into drumming, and lately percussion.
so, i play percussion with a funk and soul cover band. my kit is really a custom one, since it's not a traditional drum kit. i use a cajon, djembe, bongos, cymbals and hand percussion instruments like shakers and stuff.
i'm having a lot of fun, and since you have a great community here, i thought i'd come to you with some of my questions.
so..hello!

Back