Todd Sucherman here!

Todd,

Congrats to you on your NAMM award for M&M2. I have it and it's every bit as good as the first one. Great stuff and thanks for all the inspiration.

Next time your in the Boston area I need to have this copy signed too :)

Sirwill, Anduin, and 2b----thanks for your kind words!

I hope everyone's year is off to a good start. A few things I'd like to share with those interested. Styx's new live DVD/Blu Ray "The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live" has just been released. It's far and away the best documentation of this band live, and my work within it. It was my favorite tour I've done as well---playing both classic records in their order and entirety live. I hope you guys check it out, as I'm really very proud of it!

http://vimeo.com/33545776

http://vimeo.com/33545776

http://www.amazon.com/Styx-Grand-Il...1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1328036530&sr=1-2

Also, I have 3 clinics coming up. If anyone lives in these cities, come out and say hello! Dates below.
Cheers from somewhere in Washington State,
Todd

Wednesday Feb 15th -start time 7pm
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
540-850-7227
[email protected]
Thursday Feb 16th – start time 7pm
1501 Drums Etc
548 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster, PA 17602
717-394-3786
[email protected]
Friday Feb 17th – start time 7pm
1901 Volkweins Music *
138 Industry Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
[email protected]

Todd, it was a pleasure to meet you last night in Lancaster at DRUMSETC. Your clinic was amazing and you still remain the most humble, approachable drummer I have ever met. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Hey Todd!

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the awesome clinic you put on in Pittsburgh tonight. I will highly recommend anyone to check your clinics out.

Your solo was just as you told us you looked for...it was musical. It was so musical that at times during it I got lost in the song you were creating. I wasn't just watching some drummer show his chops (which you had in spades) but great music.

Also, I'd make a friendly suggestion that you break down your "bastardized moeller" every single clinic. Take the 2 minutes and show how you do that...every clinic. Really. You do it in one of your Dvd's (maybe both, I can't remember) and it doesn't matter how often I see it, I want to see it again (you broke it down for us when you were asked about it during the clinic). So don't wait for someone to ask, just do it!

Thanks again!

jasonrhcp---

Thanks a lot!

Anduin----

Thanks for sharing that. Paulie (my tech) and I just had our 10th anniversary. He's the best in the business.

stillgroovin---

Thanks! And thanks for making it out to the clinic. I'm very happy you enjoyed it.

Swiss Matthias---

Yes, I'll be there! Looking forward to it.

Boom--

Thanks a lot for the kind words and for making it out to the clinic. Glad you dug it, and thanks for dropping me a note!

My best to all of you guys!

Cheers,
Todd

Todd, I've watched and listenend to Tears Of Joy from your first DVD many times.
I love the tune, it's really beautiful, and your playing is fantastic, musical, dynamic
and exciting. And I love the 13/16 groove, it's so weird and so full of a strange
kind of flow at the same time. Love the missing bass drum on the 1.

The question: Maybe I'm lazy and failed to see or hear it, but who wrote that tune,
and which band played it?

Swiss Matthias---

I recommend checking out my first "Methods & Mechanics" DVD as not only does the DVD lead off with "Tears of Joy" but I talk later about navigating the time signature (which is actually 13/8). I also speak a bit about Jerry Goodman who composed and performed it. (If you don't know who Jerry Goodman is.....Google him!)

Both DVDs are available from my web store and ships world wide right away....straight to your mail box! I hope you pick them up. On the MM2 DVD, there is another Jerry Goodman composition called "Going on 17," which has sections in 15/8 and 17/8.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Todd

http://www.toddsucherman.com/methods-and-mechanics-2.html

Thanks Todd! I have picked up both your dvds some weeks ago actually, but - shame on me - I've
been stuck in your rudiments on the kit section till today, because nowadays I want to not
just watch but really study dvds like yours, take notes and try out myself what hits me!

So I assume I've not come far enough to hear you talking about the song. Should have watched
it all before asking... So please only focus on the compliment section in my post :)!

Thanks anyway for the info! I've heard Going on 17 once, I had an earful of all songs on
both dvds (well all four dvds it is actually) already :).

Tears of Joy is how I discovered Todd's playing. A drummer insulted the tune, calling it a processed piece of crap on another forum, he instantly got shot down in flames, but that tune is so catchy yet so hard to grasp at the same time. I have listened to it cranked through the klipsch on the 55" soooo many times. The drum sound is second to none. Makes me proud to also play a masterworks kit.

Todd,
just wanted to tell you that I like your signature sticks a lot!

I just received my first pair of them (together with a P4 pad)... Wow, those are turbo sticks! I ordered them without testing beforehand and I'm totally happy. I've been practicing with heavier sticks for months so your sig sticks make for much more playing ease while providing great feel and smack. NOW I have a slight idea how it feels to play your sticks. It's great that they do not slip although they don't have a finish (been using coated sticks).

Another Pittsburgher here who loved your clinic last week. Hands down the most unique drum solo I've ever seen/heard. Also loved how you told the attendees to please don't record this on video and upload to the web.. Sometimes we need to unplug all these devices and jsut sit back listen and enjoy. One of the most unforgettable Friday nights in my 46 years. Thanks Todd. A gentleman, teacher and overall good guy. Peace and good health.

p.s. Yeah, us Steelers fans love Styx!

Swiss---

Thanks for picking them both up! I hope you are enjoying them.

Uniongoon---

And thanks to you too!

Arky--

Glad they are working for you. They feel really creamy and organic. There's a lovely rebound and feel to them and I'm glad you dig them too!

larryz--

Thanks a lot for your kind words and for making it out to the clinic. I really appreciate your note!

My best to you all-
Todd

Hi Todd

I recently bought a copy of your M&M book, great stuff! This may be a very naive question, but as my playing is slightly *ahem* below yours *coughs and splutters* I was wondering how you formulate your playing on tunes such as Tears Of Joy. Almost every bar is different. It would take me a life time to learn how to play it! how on earth did you begin to write it? Is it that you get a feel for the groove and play around within an idea or is each bar constructed and as such played the same each time you play it?

I am really enjoying the book btw, by far the most enjoyable and inspiring book I have bought.

Thank you

Just watching some Todd video's today. Great drummer-class act.

last man to bat--

Thanks for your great feedback! It's really appreciated. The book is fairly new and haven't heard from many people about it--so I'm glad someone bought one! But seriously, it means a lot and I hope it goes a long way to spur creative directions in your own playing. As far as the "TOJ" track, I just knew the tune and was very comfortable in the composition. In the Methods and Mechanics DVD (1st one) I later talk about navigating the 13/8 time signature. Perhaps that would be helpful shedding some light on that subject. I know in the book there are a few "3s & 2s" variations for you to digest. Again, thanks and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Swiss & resohead---

Thanks to you guys as well!

Cheers from somewhere in Ohio...

Todd

Back