Mike Mangini

RTDRUMS

Pioneer Member
Just recently the music store where I work and teach at held the first real drum clinic with Mike Mangini. If you have heard mike you know how awesome it was. We had a great turn out and everybody seemed happy. It was a real treat to get to help set up mikes kit and hang out a little bit. Though I really didnt get a chance for some real one on one talk ( you know, about gear and technique and drum things) Everything went as smooth as can be. However, what really makes me happy is that it inspired all of my students and everybody else to keep playing and have fun. Man I love playing this instrument!

Re: mike mangini clinic

Yo thats soooo cool, the last time Mike came in my area I wasn't able to go. I really really regret it, the next one I am there.

i need to go to a clinic one day in my life. never been, well actually the had a Horacio Hernandez and Giovani Hidalgo clinic at the Berklee Percussion Festival but thats the only one....

Re: Mike Mangini Clinic

1203 singles per minute...omg...what else can I say... oh, yeah, he is an awsome drummer :))

It seems like he had a lot of spare time and was really bored when he was a kid... :D otherwise I can't seem to figure out how can one become so incredibly fast :)

Ashton Drum's said:
Mike Mangini Is coming to do a clinic in my town and I'm so
happy because this stuff only happens once in blue moon
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Mike_Mangini.html
COOL. Mike came to my store in June. Tell him Ryan from LaCrosse Wisconsin says hello.
I poasted some pics in another thread call Mike Mangini clinic. Have fun and enjoy.

where can i find mike mangini video clip

Mike Mangini WFD Solo Unbelievable!!!!

By all heart and admission I'm a drummer first and camera man second, although I don't like the camera work in this video (I didn't do it and dude got paid) Mike Mangini does the one of the most amazing solos built on a simple ostinato, but layered over the top with amazingly insane Speed!.

In the past some have argued can WFD GUYS PLAY DRUMS?

Well this 9 and1/2 minutes should answer that question. Check out one of the most insane 9 min of double pedal ostinato WFD Solo at:
http://www.extremesportdrumming.com/WFDTV/Mangini solo 256k.wmv

What do you think?

TD

Last edited:

I've seen Mr. Mangini at one of his drum clinics. What he played at the clinic was much more musical than this solo.

The ostinato sounds very similar to one of Terry Bozzio's ostinatos in his video on the black Remo drums. The big difference seems to be that Mr. Mangini is playing twice as many beats with the bass drums. For me, it really makes it less musical because there are less holes to fill in by playing over the pattern. That is one of the keys to soloing over an ostinato; keep the ryhthm open and simple so there are lots of holes to fill in.

Lets talk about the tuning of the drums in this video. For some reason, when he starts playing fast, the drums just sound like clicking. I agree that Mr. Mangini is a very fast drummer but at what expense? The second half of the drum solo just sounds like a lot of very fast clicking; void of ryhthm and voice (or is it just my computer speakers that can't handle the speed?). I understand that the faster you play, the less ring and overtone you want so you can hear each of the notes. But it stopped sounding like drums after a while.

I enjoyed most of the solo and respect Mr. Mangini for his accomplishments; he was very personable when I met him at the clinic. I just think that once the speed kicks in, this solo loses some of its appeal.

Last edited:

That guy has worked his ass off, he's always working on getting better, I like his tom set up too, a little creativity can go along way,

In the past some have argued can WFD GUYS PLAY DRUMS?

Well this 9 and1/2 minutes should answer that question. Check out one of the most insane 9 min of double pedal ostinato WFD Solo at:
http://www.extremesportdrumming.com...solo%20256k.wmv
ThomasDee

I couldnt agree with you more, I went to my first WFD and the guys I seen play that actually had good technique, also played the same day with a band doing a Miles Davis Tune along with some Vibe songs. It is possible, to do both, you just need to keep in mind the differences between doing both.

Re: Mike Mangini WFD Solo Unbelievable!!!!

ThomasDee said:
Mike Mangini does the one of the most amazing solos built on a simple ostinato, but layered over the top with amazingly insane Speed!

Oh boy, I have to agree with "Yahaha" and I also think it is not one of the most amazing solos either. He is fast no doubt , but that sums it up right there. I do not want to say that I can do better, it is just not that unbelievable as "ThomasDee" makes it sound. Just my.02 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't gotten a chance to see mike live or in a clinic yet, but I would really love to. He is the reason that I first picked up a pair of sticks. But he never does clinics around where I live. If he ever does do one, you can expect to see me there in a heartbeat.

in that video he sometimes looks like john travolta.

check this clip out that i found. the guy is hilarious. what a great sense of humour, not only fast but he plays the audience like papa jo jones did with his eyes. and his single hand roll is faster than my best double stroke two handed efforts...insane!
http://rapidshare.de/files/8624510/steve_vai_-_mike_mangini_drum_solo.mpg.html

j
ps: scroll down click free button and wait approx 40 seconds for your ticket then download its quite a large file...be warned.

Last edited:
Re: mike mangini (with videos) the world's fastest drummer

I have never viewed that clip before...WOW...That was a stunning display of sound and fury...I guess humans can really play stuff like that...What a showman! Very Inspirational...Thanks NJ.

Back