Kit Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with Caddy's advice... when I got my first kit I didn't think about cases which I regret. They are high up on my purchase list. Check Craigslist and local shops for kits, try before you buy! If you really want to buy new, I think you would be happier with something closer in price to a Ludwig Keystone, and investing the rest on lessons, snares, cymbals, and heads. You might even be able to get an extra tom for that price range. Remember, lower end drums (relatively in your case) can sound much better with good head choice and tuning, but bad cymbals always sound bad. Snares... you'll get a good idea of what you want after playing one long enough, then you can branch out. Hardware - you didn't ask, but it sounds like you might need some... you don't need triple braced forty pound stands for one crash cymbal. You can easily mount a tom and large cymbal on a single braced lightweight Yamaha stand, and your back will thank you after lugging light stands from gig to gig as opposed to heavy ones.
Don't be afraid to take your time and really get what you want... instant gratification soothes the burning hole from a behemoth pile of money in your pocket, but hardly ever really leaves you happy. You seem like a smart kid, I'm sure you'll make a great investment - with a little help from this forum, of course ;).

As far as sizes go, I have 12", 14", 16", 18", toms and a 24" kick on my kit, and they all get equal use as a one up and one or two down. The 12" 14" 16" set up is way more versatile, but what Bo said about it being easier to make big drums sound smaller as opposed to the other way is very true. Plus, the big sizes are sooo much fun to play... all that being said, my music tastes have changed. I would now opt for the smaller sizes, though I planned only using the huge sizes. Or perhaps now even smaller sizes and less drums so I could get a Guru kit!

Summary - be patient, shop smart (used), and please ask us if you have any questions!

Im going to be buying a new kit soon and I am in between a 12x9,14x14,16x16,24x16 setup or a 13x10,16x16,18x16,24x16 setup.
When pairing toms to kicks, I pretty much pair the 12 rack/14 floor to 20 and 22 inch kicks. 24 and 26 inch kicks get the 13/14 rack sizes ..... and the 18/18 floor tom sizes. So, if you're solid on getting a 24" kick .... I'd go the 13, 16, 18 route.​

May I add that im looking at Pearl Reference and DW drumsets, if that helps at all.
Now I'm wondering right here, what makes you pick these two? And I might add which DW series? Have you actually heard these drums played, or are you just shooting for a well known, high end kit? Nothing wrong with either, just wondering the motivation.​
That said, I'd shop used, as others have mentioned. There are plenty of deals out there, and if you "buy smart" used, you will lose little or none of your money when you move on .... if you move on.​

I'd go with the 12/14/16 for longevity. The larger sizes might sound fantastic in the current band you're in, but in 5 years you might be wanting to do something completely different, and perhaps ditch the larger floor tom all together.

Somebody mentioned you can make a larger drum sound small....I've always heard and believed it was the other way around. You can make a smaller drum sound bigger. But if you try to make a larger drum sound smaller, you get the "basketball effect". Or at least that's been what's happened to me when trying to make toms sound smaller.

I had an 18" floor tom for many years, which was a Gretsch from the 70s. I never got a good sound from it because if I tuned it to sound good on its own, it was too low for the sound to carry.
Yes, an 18" FT can be a bit of trouble to get useful if you're not mic'd, but a good one won't choke if tuned up, & tuned up (at least the reso head) is the way to go if acoustic only.

We're starting to build kits for our series launch at the London Drum Show soon. One kit is 24" x 14" bass drum, 18" x 14" floor tom, 14" x 9" tom. Projection, tone, & pure thunder in one package. Note the shallow floor tom. That depth gives it a clear fundamental that helps it cut through by distinction at low tuning.

By comparison, the sizes on the other show kit are just plain weird ;)

Somebody mentioned you can make a larger drum sound small....I've always heard and believed it was the other way around. You can make a smaller drum sound bigger. But if you try to make a larger drum sound smaller, you get the "basketball effect". Or at least that's been what's happened to me when trying to make toms sound smaller.

The "basketball effect" can certainly come into play if you're cranking the thing really tight. But as a broad stroke, it's fair to say that larger drums can still be pitched up to get a sound that more closely resembles a smaller drum. But a smaller drum can only be tuned down so far before the head is not tight enough to give it any tone at all.

I would go with 16" and 18" floor toms, for sure - I like that a lot better than using a 14" floor.

For a rack tom (put it in a snare basket, not on the kick) I like 10"x14" best with 16 and 18 floors. 9x13 can be ok, too, if you need the tom smaller for more of a pitch difference.

For bass drum, 16x24 and 14x24 are both great - I use both. Not a great deal of difference, maybe a little more punch on the 14 deep and a little more boom on the 16 deep. Heads make a bigger difference than the depth does.

1 up 2 down with a 24" kick is a great set-up you will love for years, regardless of the details. I've learned I'm always happier if I wait, earn a little more money, and buy the better of the options I'm considering - just a thought to consider :) Have fun!

Yes, an 18" FT can be a bit of trouble to get useful if you're not mic'd, but a good one won't choke if tuned up, & tuned up (at least the reso head) is the way to go if acoustic only.

We're starting to build kits for our series launch at the London Drum Show soon. One kit is 24" x 14" bass drum, 18" x 14" floor tom, 14" x 9" tom. Projection, tone, & pure thunder in one package. Note the shallow floor tom. That depth gives it a clear fundamental that helps it cut through by distinction at low tuning.

By comparison, the sizes on the other show kit are just plain weird ;)

You didn't go with the 10" tom for the "thunder kit"? :) Still, that sounds really awesome... wish I could be there.

Anyways, my vote is for the 12/14/16, but it seems like the OP has made his mind up.

And on the "making smaller drums sound bigger"/"bigger drums sound smaller"- both are correct IMO. That's why we have tuning ranges. You can put Hydraulic heads on and tune JAW, or put Diplomats on and crank until the lugs are stretching- and they still sound like drums! Obviously the bigger sizes have a lower range of tones, and the smaller ones have a higher range. It's up to your opinion which range is more valuable to you.

To keep with a smaller size kit, at least piece wise, I like my 22, 16, 14, 12 and 14" snare. In this configuration I don't miss my 8" and 13" toms at all and when I have had the opportunity to play an 18" x 16" floor tom, I used its voice very rarely.

Dennis

If I had to have a 5 piece I'd go with 10, 12 and 14 toms personally.

Call me lazy but I like my drums to be nice and close together and nicely positioned. To me a 2nd rack Tom makes much more sense than 2 floors ergonomically. Add a 16 if you really need a lower note.

If I had to have a 5 piece I'd go with 10, 12 and 14 toms personally.

Call me lazy but I like my drums to be nice and close together and nicely positioned. To me a 2nd rack Tom makes much more sense than 2 floors ergonomically. Add a 16 if you really need a lower note.

Lazy.

Thanks but I am getting help with paying, speaking of lesser kits that are good quality how are the pearl MCX? If I end up not having enough for everything I will have to do like you said.

I played an MCX in a rehersal room just the other night. It sounded brilliant, even with less than pristine heads. As someone else said, a mid range (although MCX are pretty good stuff) kit can be made to sound awesome, a mid range cymbal will always be that. I would spend less from a fixed budget on drums than cymbals. My previous kit was a Tama Rockstar Custom, tuned well and paired with a set of Zildjian K and A customs. The cymbals made all the difference to what is in effect a near entry level kit. Get good cymbals, and if you have to, compromise on the drums.

I'd have to say, if you're gonna be playing strictly rock, stick with the bigger sizes. You'll be able to cut through the music, especially heavier music. The only draw back I see, with bigger size drums, a little more awkward to transport...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back