Help! Recording with my Roland TD-11kv

Powershifter

So I've been trying to record with my Roland TD-11kv drumset to a USB Flash Drive. It records what I played, but it changes the sounds when I plug the flash drive into my PC. The recorded files are saved as MIDI files. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's what I've done so far:
- installed the drivers
- updated to version 1.10
- formatted my flash drive on the sound module
- plugged the flash drive in and hit the quick record button
- played for a little
- took my flash drive over to the PC
- found the recorded file and played it through windows media player
- what I played was there, but the sounds were completely different

Thanks for the help,
Scott

Last edited:
If you have midi files you will need someting on your computer to trigger with the midi file. Midi is not music, it is a control language.

Goggle midi and learn about it, it will make sense.

Thanks for the advice. I spent a couple days learning about MIDI and eventually got it to work with Finale Songwriter - only to find that Songwriter seems to be a better tool for lessons and writing music than recording. I posted a new thread that deals with recording electronic drums to a PC. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction there.

Forget the PC- buy yourself a Zoom Q3 HD camera. Cable from your modules headphones jack to the line in jack of the camera, records audio and video all at once, no synching necessary.

Forget the PC- buy yourself a Zoom Q3 HD camera. Cable from your modules headphones jack to the line in jack of the camera, records audio and video all at once, no synching necessary.

Hey that's a great idea. I have a Zoom Q3, so I'll have to give it a shot. I have everything working with the PC now, but it would be interesting to compare.

If anyone is curious, I'm using the recording program by AVS4YOU. It recognizes the TD-11's right away and is very easy to use. So far I've recorded one demo, which you can listen to on my website under the studio sessions tab. It's still a work in progress though. I'm going to change the kick drum sound so that it's a bit more 'punchy' and doesn't get lost in the mix. Plus I might bring the snare and cymbal volume down a little. The nice thing with the TD-11's is that I recorded it right on the sound module, so now I only have to make my changes, set up my PC to record, and hit the play button on the TD-11. No need to play it again! :)

Back