Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!!

I have some questions:

Some drummers as Horacio Hernandes, Akira Jimbo and Terry Bozzio have been using pedals to control cowbells, clave and other percussive intruments in recent years. Some drummers are pushing the bar to another level like you in terms of how the drummer acts in a musical situation. I want to know what do you think about the future of the drummer?

What is the most crazy device (cymbal,drum, percussion) you've used in a record?

What are the advantages of thinner drum shells in comparison to thicker shells?

Have fun recording your tracks, the best wishes for this new year from your fan from Ecuador.

Hi scottishhaggis

Just one question please. In 'False Start' of OSI, exactly at 2:12 - 2:20, was that bass part created (invented) after you came up with the displacement or before. This part is very simple on drums (technically), but it sounds so awesome, it seems that in that part no other drum pattern could ever ever take place. For me it's the best displacement I've ever heard you played anywhere. Thanks for that :)

Thanks - but technically speaking it isn't a displacement - it's a modulation. The guitar parts were already there - I came up with that part because I thought it would sound good to mess with the time a little bit at that point. After a few bars it rights itself back to straight 4/4 of course.

Hi Swiss Matthias

Gavin, do you like your own groove - can you enjoy your own playing (on recordings) as much as that of your favourite drummers, or is it kind of impossible to achieve the same listening "distance" one has when listening to a drummer other than oneself?

I can't really listen to myself play in the way I can when I listen to other drummers. It's very difficult to be objective about your own work.

Hi Crimson Redrum

Some drummers as Horacio Hernandes, Akira Jimbo and Terry Bozzio have been using pedals to control cowbells, clave and other percussive intruments in recent years. Some drummers are pushing the bar to another level like you in terms of how the drummer acts in a musical situation. I want to know what do you think about the future of the drummer?

I don't think the future of drumming needs to wait for the equipment to be invented. I believe musicality will never get boring. I don't know what drummers will be playing 10 years from now - I just hope it doesn't turn into an Olympic event.

What is the most crazy device (cymbal,drum, percussion) you've used in a record?

I played a bicycle once on a recording - sounded really good played with brushes.

What are the advantages of thinner drum shells in comparison to thicker shells?

they aren't so heavy.

cheers
Gavin

I played a bicycle once on a recording - sounded really good played with brushes.

Thank You for your answers Mr. Harrison, it seems that a lot of musicians use bycicles in general music, Pink Floyd's "Bike", Queen's "Bycicle", Frank Zappa using a bow in a bycicle, you playing it with brushes, maybe in 10 years some crazy mind will do a concerto for bycicle, It will be funny...

Have you ever been in a situation where you had to defend your drumming? I mean, sometimes you play what you feel it's right for the song, but the compositor thinks you should something completely different that doesn't fit in the musical context that you're working. How do you react in those kind of situations?

Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

Just watched the Anesthetize dvd for the 2355235th time again last night, and I just wanted to say how tasteful your performance was, in case everyone else hasn't already!

In addition, lately I've been reading your book Rhythmic Designs and playing along to some tracks of yours and 05Ric's.. Some really cool stuff, its.. involved to say the least ;-). Its given me inspiration to create a bunch of new grooves I can show to my band!

Now, I realize I probably won't get special attention here, I don't expect it, but if you want to.. heres a cover of Unsettled I did about a week ago. You'll notice some very small edits because my recorder was having latency issues, but I feel like its a good performance aside from that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhKa4_aAgk

And one question if you'd be so kind... hopefully it hasn't been asked here yet.

Since Porcupine Tree isn't planned to be doing much this year, are there any projects you have planned in the near future?

Thanks so much!

Steven

Hi Gavin, could you put the dates for your U.K. Clinic tour on here when they are confirmed?

I'm sure it will be fantastic, as the last one was.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks, Phil.

Hello mr. Harrison,
you mentioned you own the Sonor 14x6 artist cottonwood snare drum. I want to buy a new snare out of the artist series and this one is my favourite so far. I don't really have anywhere to try any of the artist snares here in cze and on youtube there are only few examples, so I wanted to ask you, on which recordings or videos you used this drum. Also If you could please tell me your opinion on this snare.
Thank you very much.
Roman

Hey Gavin, hey Folks,

last weekend I spent a bit time to transcribe "Bonnie the Cat".

I attached a PDF but I think there are two fills in the end that are not correct, so maybe you could help me!

Enjoy
David

P.s.: This if the first transcription I'm ever done so please!

Attachments

• bonnie_the_cat.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 426
Hi Crimson Redrum

Have you ever been in a situation where you had to defend your drumming? I mean, sometimes you play what you feel it's right for the song, but the compositor thinks you should something completely different that doesn't fit in the musical context that you're working. How do you react in those kind of situations?

Occasionally I've tried to convince producers/artists that a certain rhythm would suit their song. BUT at the end of the day it is their song and they're paying for the session. Sometimes they have even said to me (after the record has already been released) that they wish they had tried my suggestion.

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

Since Porcupine Tree isn't planned to be doing much this year, are there any projects you have planned in the near future?

I have a load of drum clinics planned this spring and summer. When I have confirmation of the dates I'll post them on this thread.

Hi mly

you mentioned you own the Sonor 14x6 artist cottonwood snare drum. I want to buy a new snare out of the artist series and this one is my favourite so far. I don't really have anywhere to try any of the artist snares here in cze and on youtube there are only few examples, so I wanted to ask you, on which recordings or videos you used this drum. Also If you could please tell me your opinion on this snare.

It is - like all the other Sonor Artists snares - and excellent drum. I've used it a few times but I think the only video is this one: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonfutile.html

I don't tend to use snare drums that deep that often - but I always enjoy playing it.

Hi Kalma

last weekend I spent a bit time to transcribe "Bonnie the Cat". I attached a PDF but I think there are two fills in the end that are not correct, so maybe you could help me!.

nice job !!!

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, hey Folks,

last weekend I spent a bit time to transcribe "Bonnie the Cat".

I attached a PDF but I think there are two fills in the end that are not correct, so maybe you could help me!

Enjoy
David

P.s.: This if the first transcription I'm ever done so please!

Wow nicely done David. And thank you!

Isn't there a short section on tuning on the Rhythmic Designs DVD? Gavin's sound has been widely discussed in this thread, also, so you should search around, or even take a look at the FAQ.

Fox.

Ok, well haven't seen the Designs DVD yet. The Search didn't turn up anything and looking through the thousands of threads in this post didn't seem logical at the time. Oh, and is your name Gavin?

Perhaps next time post a link to the post / posts you are referring to instead of trying to imply that I haven't complied with some sort of message board etiquette. Don't they call people like you Trolls or something stupid like that?

Hi ElevenFour

Apologies if this question / comment has been posted before but do you ever plan on doing some instructional vids on tuning? I know a lot of people love the sound you get and to be honest we're not all fans of the Gatzen vids. :)

yes I did make a section on tuning on my last DVD/Book Rhythmic Designs.

Are there any vids of you with King Crimson available online or for purchase?

Only the audio download of a concert in Chicago 2008. I don't remember any of the shows actually being filmed.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for the reply Gavin! Will run out and get Rhythmic Designs right away then. :)

Ok, well haven't seen the Designs DVD yet. The Search didn't turn up anything and looking through the thousands of threads in this post didn't seem logical at the time. Oh, and is your name Gavin?

Perhaps next time post a link to the post / posts you are referring to instead of trying to imply that I haven't complied with some sort of message board etiquette. Don't they call people like you Trolls or something stupid like that?

So, despite I gave you the exactly same answer Gavin did (the DVD) but earlier *and* suggested that you search the FAQ on his signature for further information, without being hostile in any manner is a bad thing?
I'm SO sorry.

Fox.

Gavin,

I was wondering what you/Porcupine Tree use for In Ear Moniters, Transmitter and recivers for live situations. My band and I have tried a few products and they have all been terrible quality and we are sick of wasting our money. Thanks!

-Jonathan

Been viewing this thread for a long time...and I have to give you props to answering all these posts/questions. Having said that...I have a question of my own!

When you played Delites, they were vintage shells. From what I see, your SQ2's are Thin toms, Medium floors, and Heavy kick. Why the switch from vintage? Was there something you didn't like about the Delite vintage shell? Are these (thin/med/heavy) shell thicknesses better for recording? Live? How about tuning (ease and pitch) and volume?

Thanks!

Back