Gavin Harrison here!

Merry Christmas Gavin, I wish you all the best in your personal and professional life!

And just because I'm such a "nice guy", Merry Christmas to all of my fellow Gavin-fans, and also all the other drummers out there! :)

Happy Holidays boys and girls! ;)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year for you and your family, Gavin.

funny_christmas_cards_christmas_drums-p137656339559432742tru1_400.jpg

Thanks for the fantastic work. Keep on going.

Gavin,
Can I just say how much I and i'm sure everyone else who reads this discussion, truly appreciates that you can find the time to give us advice like this.
You are a great contribution to the drumming community.

Leonard.

Hi Gavin,

You have said that you used figure 8 overheads on the last tour.(Mics) What kind are they?

I received the "Gavin Harrison Signature Snare" Wow I love it!

Have you had a chance to compare the run of replica's vs. the original you own? If so what are your thoughts as far as the similarities or differences?

Thanks for your reply in advance! You are the best!

Guys - thanks for the Christmas wishes and kind words!

Hi Kalma

Which head do you use on your 12" Snaredrum on the Records of 19 Days and So what..? It looks like an Ambassador or so? Is it just a 1 ply Ambassador Tomhead?

yes it's just a Coated Ambassador - which is single ply.

Hi Rítmico

I bought a Beyerdynamic DT 150, like yours. Do you use some headphone amplifier?

no I just plug them into my Mackie desk.

Hi ZGR8DCVER

You have said that you used figure 8 overheads on the last tour.(Mics) What kind are they?

I believe they were Audio Technica mics - but I don't know exactly which ones.

I received the "Gavin Harrison Signature Snare" Wow I love it!
Have you had a chance to compare the run of replica's vs. the original you own? If so what are your thoughts as far as the similarities or differences?

I actually prefer it to the old one that I have. I put a coated Emperor on it and it sounded great straight away.

Hope you all have a great New Year. Keep drumming !!!!

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, are you using plastic beaters at the moment? Because I noticed the black EVANS EQ patch was chewing my felt beaters away, so I switched them around, I didn't really notice a big sound difference to be honest, specially after the bass drum goes through EQ and mixing. I believe it does reduce the lifetime of the batter head dramatically compared to the felt one, though. What are your thoughts on different beater materials? There's wood ones, too, I used to have one, but didn't mess around with it a lot.
Cheers!

Fox.

Hi Fox,

yes I know the black patch eats up felt beaters big time. If you are using felt beaters then just a clear patch is good. When I use plastic beaters - which is most of the time the black patch does help save the skin. I can get a nicer bass drum tone from a felt beater - but if you're playing a lot of double pedal stuff - the attack from the plastic is really helpful.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin. And happy new year.

This is a non specific post. I have a marvelous 9 year old student I hipped to your playing. I have given him the latest PT DVD for Christmas and he is very inspired. I keep him up to date with many drummers of course, my teacher was Virgil so there is a decent pedigree. At least I hope I do it justice.

We spent a lesson working through your 2 earlier books and he lapped it up. I am very grateful for your contribution in the educational area of drumming. He recently received a copy of your latest book/DVD package but as yet we have been unable to work from it.

Thanks so much for helping me with my teaching. You are placing good material into the market place and I for one appreciate it very much. Good luck in all future endeavors.

Gavin,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the opening bars of "Be The Hero" include a 1/4 note override on the bell of the ride cymbal?

Also in that wonderful song, there's an amazing breakdown at 3:36 and another at 4:37. I can count it in 4 but the way you and the guitarist phrased it makes it sound anything but.

Happy New Years and a belated merry xmas

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the opening bars of "Be The Hero" include a 1/4 note override on the bell of the ride cymbal?

That part sounds like it is in 4/4, and what's played on the bell are groups of three 16th notes that start a dotted quarter into the groove.

Also in that wonderful song, there's an amazing breakdown at 3:36 and another at 4:37. I can count it in 4 but the way you and the guitarist phrased it makes it sound anything but.

That part could be written in 5/4.

Fox.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

Happy New Year to everyone! ...
Gavin, would it be possible for you to look back at the music you've recorded to pick some some songs that really standout for you as a perfect marraige of not only coming up with a drum part that you felt was successful in suiting the song but also the song itself? (i.e. the melody, lyrics and overall emotional content of the song itself) Like those times/moments when someone hands you a song and even before you pick up your sticks you instantly feel a part of it.

Thank you and take care.

Heya Gavin!

Hope you've had a wonderful christmas and wish you a happy new year!

I'm wondering;
After what I've read there will not be many Porcupine Tree gigs next year (if any?).

Have you got any gigs/clinics which are confirmed for the new year yet?
I'd love to see you in other musical contexts than PT, still haven't got the chance to do that! :)

Thanks in advance!

Anders

Hi Gavin.
First of all thanks for being so inspiring!
I am about to change hoops to improve both sound and tuning and was thinking of buying safe-hoops.
The only shop I found is Drummaker.
can you please confirm that this hoop is exactly what you currently use?

Secondly, have you ever thought about adding a special "Gavin's camera" (that is a fixed camera recording your performance available as an alternative video track) in next dvd/blu ray releases? I believe that I am not the only one who would appreciate it :)

I wish you a brilliant new year and hope to see you again soon in Italy!
All the best,
Alessio

Audio technica AT 4050 mics perhaps?

I think you are right santi. I have looked at the AT options and that seems the most likely candidate. I am Looking at purchasing another set of overheads and while no one will ever achieve Gavin's Sound for a variety of reasons; those AT's sound amazing!

I have been to a lot of shows in my life. To date, one of the best was Porcupine Tree at Radio City Music Hall. Cheers, again Gavin! Sonically, it was hands down the best show I have ever seen/heard. The sound was nothing short of perfect! PT's live sound engineer is an absolute genius. Gavin's kit was so incredible sounding! Nothing was buried or muddy. You could hear every tom, bell, rim completely isolated and crisp and the kick...outstanding!

Gavin 2 questions if you please.....

At that show(NYC RCMH) were you using your D6/Beta91 combo on the kick? I will never forget that show and I hope I have the privilege to see you again!

Also, to clarify..you prefer the new "Gavin Harrison" snare or your vintage Designer? And do you prefer an Emperor vs an Ambassador or CS on it?

Again thank you so much for all the inspiration, motivation, ideas etc. you are simply the best!

Gavin wrote:
"I actually prefer it to the old one that I have. I put a coated Emperor on it and it sounded great straight away."

Thanks Kalma,

I read his answer. The wording was just a bit confusing when I first read it. I couldn't tell if he was saying he preferred "it" being which? After re-reading I get it. The thing that doesn't add up is in another post someone asked what head he used on that drum and he answered: Ambassador; yet I guess on the new one he prefers an Emperor? So, no I am not stupid just wanted a bit of clarification since there are a couple of different answers in different posts....if that makes any sense?

Back