Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin i just wanted to say that i thoroughly enjoyed your performance last night in Newcastle and thank you for coming here, you'd be surprised how many bands forget about our Town. It was a fantastic show and i was in awe, also thanks for playing Bonnie the Cat!

Hey Gavin!

I wanted to ask you something about "Futile":
Could you explain the part when you go the China, in the beginning of the song. I've always tried to just play along, but I always get lost.

And the fill in Slippin' Away at about 2:15, or that you are doing live sometimes.
Am I right, that it consists of a kind of flam on a tom with the right hand, one stroke on the snare with the left, and then RRLL ghost notes?
I hope it's not too confusing!

Cheers
huXler

I wanted to ask you something about "Futile":
Could you explain the part when you go the China, in the beginning of the song. I've always tried to just play along, but I always get lost.

Hi HuXler

Search for thread 2488, maybe is the part you´re looking for.

Regards
Gustavo

Hi gavin,it´s me again.
if you have the time would you comment my 2 videos that i uploaded on youtube for a contest in germany.
One´s a playalong ,the other one a solo.I know it´s a little "egging" around.
:)
What do you say?Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpzCPWSO00 playalong,I´m looking a bit concentrated there,chewing my lips.:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bighelp007#p/a/u/0/yEHe6KACU0c solo

Thanks for your drumming,and sharing your thoughts at drummerworld.

greetings
joe

Hi Gavin, can you tell us the details of your designer kit; shells, sizes etc.? Sounded very nice at drummer live.

Also, when using 14" and 16" floor toms, which depths do you prefer and why? 14"x12"/14"x14" and 16"x14"/16"x16"

Thanks a lot :)

Hi Joethebeat

are you planning to come to Frankfurt music fair again sometime like you did in 2007?

No plans for that this year.

Hi huXler

And the fill in Slippin' Away at about 2:15, or that you are doing live sometimes.
Am I right, that it consists of a kind of flam on a tom with the right hand, one stroke on the snare with the left, and then RRLL ghost notes?

I think it's a double on the bass drum followed by a flam (on the tom and snare) and then RRL on the snare.

Hi joepeng

if you have the time would you comment my 2 videos that i uploaded on youtube for a contest in germany.

I'm sorry but I don't comment on video/audio performances.

Hi Phil Brodermann

Hi Gavin, can you tell us the details of your designer kit; shells, sizes etc.? Sounded very nice at drummer live.

That kit is 8x8 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x16 all 6ply maple shell no internal wood rings.

Also, when using 14" and 16" floor toms, which depths do you prefer and why? 14"x12"/14"x14" and 16"x14"/16"x16"

Actually I really like to use 15x13 and 16x14 - that's what I'm using now on my SQ2 with Porcupine Tree. There's something about a 15" floor tom that I really like.

cheers
Gavin

Hi huXler

I think it's a double on the bass drum followed by a flam (on the tom and snare) and then RRL on the snare.

Just had a listen and it's exactly that.
Double on the bass followed by a Blushda.....love it!

Hey Gavin,

why don't you comment videos/mp3's?

Do you think your words would hurt people to much?

(Maybe People will get inspired and motivated through your words)

Thanks
David

Gavin is the absolute top worldclass drummer - we all are so happy and proud to have him on board - always ready to give advise and good tips and giving away his secrets for free.

For sure he has no time and doesn't want to open such a can of worms.

Bernhard

For sure he has no time and doesn't want to open such a can of worms.

Yeah. Just think about it, Kalma, he does get tons of requests to check out performances, and even if he did check them out, his opinion would spawn another couple of questions from that person. Also, I have no doubt Gavin would know what most of us could work on if he saw a video of us playing, but it takes quite some time to actually sit down and write personalized tips and suggestions like a teacher would for every person out there that shows him a vid. It's already great that he is here answering questions almost daily, and they are quite personalized even. That's my take on it.

Fox.

Yeah. Just think about it, Kalma, he does get tons of requests to check out performances, and even if he did check them out, his opinion would spawn another couple of questions from that person. Also, I have no doubt Gavin would know what most of us could work on if he saw a video of us playing, but it takes quite some time to actually sit down and write personalized tips and suggestions like a teacher would for every person out there that shows him a vid. It's already great that he is here answering questions almost daily, and they are quite personalized even. That's my take on it.

Fox.

Exactly!
That's the kind of time and effort you pay a drum teacher for.
We're seriously lucky to get the advice we do from Gavin.

It's much appreciated!

Guys,
I do get a lot of requests via private messages and MySpace from people asking me to listen to their tracks and then give them my opinion. I don't really have the time or energy to do that - plus I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going to have to criticize/comment on someone's performance and potentially upset them in the process.

I have done it in the past - and it's usually bitten me in the arse.

cheers
Gavin

Guys,
I do get a lot of requests via private messages and MySpace from people asking me to listen to their tracks and then give them my opinion. I don't really have the time or energy to do that - plus I really don't want to be put in that position where I'm going to have to criticize/comment on someone's performance and potentially upset them in the process.

cheers
Gavin

Don't blame you for not commenting.

Guys,

cheers
Gavin

Thats really no problem,i fully understand that.People get upset easily i think.If you said something negative about their performance.
Plus i guess you have a ot of other things to do ,than watching us play.

It´s awesome to talk to someone who is able to make a living out of drumming.

greets Joe

Back